Family of a yoga instructor who died while swimming in Thailand suffer another heartbreaking blow - after learning about his death from a FACEBOOK post

rooster59

Family of a yoga instructor who died while swimming in Thailand suffer another heartbreaking blow - after learning about his death from a FACEBOOK post

By ELIZA MCPHEE FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

35365230-8924071-image-a-46_1604757636013.jpg

Tobey Martin, from Victoria, had lived in Thailand as a yoga and fitness instructor for years before he hit his head on rocks while swimming near an island in late March.

A family who learnt their son and brother had died while swimming in Thailand from a Facebook post have now been told they're unable to enter the country to bury him.

Tobey Martin, from Victoria, had lived in the Southeast Asian country as a yoga and fitness instructor for years before he hit his head on rocks while swimming near an island in late May.

The 30-year-old's family have worked tirelessly for the last six months to be granted permission to enter Thailand and lay him to rest in a traditional burial.

Full story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8924071/Victorian-family-denied-entry-Thailand-bury-son-died-swimming.html

Daily Mail: 2020-11-08

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

"But the application was denied twice by Thailand officials." 

Far too draconic. Completely heartless. 

That will be the authorities of Thailand,

showing there true colors to the foreigners.

• Like 1

My deepest condolences to the family and to what they are going through in order to retrieve the body of a deceased loved one.  A repatriation of his remains, should be undertaken by the embassy of his nationality, so that a proper burial can be undertaken and, the family can move forward instead of having to continue to grieve daily.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Tobey Martin, from Victoria, had lived in Thailand as a yoga and fitness instructor for years before he hit his head on rocks while swimming near an island in late March.

A family who learnt their son and brother had died while swimming in Thailand from a Facebook post have now been told they're unable to enter the country to bury him.

Tobey Martin, from Victoria, had lived in the Southeast Asian country as a yoga and fitness instructor for years before he hit his head on rocks while swimming near an island in late May.

Great reporting again.......Was it March or May ?

1 hour ago, wombat said:

a lot of nonsense over dead meat....cremate me, save a glad bag full dust to be posted back to oz as a token for scattering and as for the rest....what do i care, I'm dead, not my problem.

Seems you missed the point about closure by the family, but I can see by your tone your a loving family man.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Seems you missed the point about closure by the family, but I can see by your tone your a loving family man.

3 hours ago, wombat said:

a lot of nonsense over dead meat....cremate me, save a glad bag full dust to be posted back to oz as a token for scattering and as for the rest....what do i care, I'm dead, not my problem.

So just flush your ashes down the loo, save a few  Baht of postage. 

20 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The family can have closure by having a church service in their local church and invite their fiends and relatives. The fact that no physical remains are present seems to be moot. The son can have a funeral here with whatever friends and well wishers there are here. 

The current virus situation is unusual for us but it is not that much different to losing a loved one in combat in a distant land, who for whatever reason cannot be repatriated.

I have yet to find one of my fallen brethren that could not be repatriated after a time and a funeral conducted. Now when there are no remains due to the nature of the situation that caused the demise, then that is a different story, as you say the fact that no physical remains are present is not a moot point, it is a point where the families are more than understanding.  When a body lies in a morgue and can be repatriated, then that makes a whole world of difference to a family.  Even allowing one family member to enter the country so that a small ceremony can be had and, then the body cremated here and, then carried home would have a better impact then what has occurred in this case.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

"But the application was denied twice by Thailand officials." 

Far too draconic. Completely heartless. 

I couldn't enter UK to cremate my mother back in April.. just a sign of the times.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the Thai decision. There is a global pandemic; is is not their fault. I doubt Australia would let Thais into their country. 

Easily done - I broke my neck here 25 years ago by diving into a shallow pool. Could easily have died, or worse. 

Condolences to family reading this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

could not be repatriated after a time

I don't remember reading that he couldn't be repatriated just that the family can't come here. there is more than one way to solve a problem.

• Like 1