Bangkok nightclub has special booth to vet and upcharge foreigners

webfact

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It's not racist, it's nationalistic.

A good test of this would be me trying with my Thai ID card.(not the pink one, the real one)

semantics...  I wouldn’t say ’nationalistic’ Thai’s are not asked to wear a Thai uniform, flag etc when going to the bar... 

I suppose calling such behaviour Nationalistic or Xenophobic depends on your outlook of such behaviour. 

- Nationalistic - Foreigners are being charged extra and thats because of Thai Patriotism / Nationalism?

- Xenophobic - Foreigners being charged extra is an indication of aversion towards foreigners.

It seems a lot more like a xenophobic policy, nationalism is too much of a stretch IMO.

It would be very interesting to see how you get on with your Thai National ID card in such circumstances (once you have it). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

So, if you are resident, you just have to prove you have been here for 14 days. The only way to do so is to show the stamp in your passport. Hence they won't accept other ID.

The Thai government doesn't allow foreigners to leave the quarantine hotel for the first 14 days .... what do you think a passport proves?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Foreigners have 2 options at BarBarBar: Pay 500 baht or cut a deal for a group of foreigners by purchasing alcohol.

Well at least it's an up front and honest scam.  They must think there are a few stupid foreigners out rooming the bars. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t worry, I am calm - i find this topic interesting.

I find particularly interesting the stretch people (posters) will go to attempt to explain away something which is fundamentally wrong especially when providing other examples which are also fundamentally wrong as if it offers some form of justification....

How do you feel about 2 for 1 drinks on “ladies nights”? 

Nightclubs are not the place for equal rights. The American woman who wrote this fine article doesn’t even live in Bangkok, and doesn’t look like a clubber anyway. 

It is just a wind up for people who like to think they are victimized by Thais. The Thais are very hospitable people, look at the hundreds of hooker/beer bars they have opened just to cater to us whiteys.

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

Thats actually pretty awesome, would happily to pay the  500 to sit in a club that vets people before entry.

maybe if you pay them a bit xtra ,they will let you sit and watch the people getting vetted .????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

How do you feel about 2 for 1 drinks on “ladies nights”? 

Nightclubs are not the place for equal rights. The American woman who wrote this fine article doesn’t even live in Bangkok, and doesn’t look like a clubber anyway. 

It is just a wind up for people who like to think they are victimized by Thais. The Thais are very hospitable people, look at the hundreds of hooker/beer bars they have opened just to cater to us whiteys.

Its a just a wind up for people who think they are victimised by Thais’....  I kind of agree with that, the article is somewhat of a ‘dog whistle’ to people such as myself who find dual pricing and unequal treatment extremely distasteful. 

2 for 1 drinks on ladies nights and other examples used such as dress code (in your earlier post) do not address the issue that people are being refused entry not because of gender or dress code but being charged more for entry (being charged for entry when Thai’s are not) is also wrong. 

In General I too find Thai’s to be extremely hospitable. however, news such is an example of a distasteful attitudes that some can present. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Menus are at the counter listing some alcohol packages priced at 15,000 baht and 17,000 baht.

Anyone stupid enough to pay that deserves to get ripped off! ????

This looks more to me like a ‘membership’ option whereby people can pay 15,000 baht and get 10 bottles of JW etc or something similar... 

But, what then happens if you are a ‘member’ and then turn up next time with you a passport ? 

People do not want to carry around their Passport, the police have long agreed that a photocopy or copy on your phone (of ID and Visa stamp) is acceptable. 

Having to carry out passport out is a contentious issue - as is being expected to pay extra as a foreigner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Thats actually pretty awesome, would happily to pay the  500 to sit in a club that vets people before entry.

Yes, as long as everyone is vetted including Thais.  Otherwise, these boots were made for walking.....walk on over to another bar to enjoy the evening.

6 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

What goes on in there to make people want to enter ? Wild orgies ? Naked hostesses ? People snorting coke or smoking spliffs ?  

It needs Barber chairs that recline, and a place where shots can be taken between a set of big hooters.....that's my kind of place

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

What goes on in there to make people want to enter ? Wild orgies ? Naked hostesses ? People snorting coke or smoking spliffs ?  

Are these the only circumstances under which you would consider entering a bar or night club ??????

If only the walls could talk.... You must have some wild stories !!!! :burp: :intheclub: ???? 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

It's not racist, it's nationalistic.

A good test of this would be me trying with my Thai ID card.(not the pink one, the real one)

That would be awesome, though I didn't know people with a real Thai ID card had to do 90 day reports

NEXT

image.png.f323299838751b909982c023614b62a1.png

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Unzip my fly.

"Vet this." 

Not very sporting, with a statement like that you would be looking for it to be removed by a surgically swift movement, and were not talking a bowel movement.

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

Calm down, their country, they can do what they like.

Nightclubs around the world have rules about who they let in. Salon Bar in Melbourne years ago had a “no fat chick” rule. Other places were instructed not to let in Mediterranean looking people. 
One last year denied entry to a famous rapper, probably because he was black.
Good looking girls walk straight in, often get given drink cards,while the ugly have to line up and have to pay. 
Some places even refuse older people. 
Then there is the dress code rules. 

Gogos in Pattaya often refuse Thai people. Is that xenophobic also? 
Indians cop it a fair bit also being denied many places. 

Up to them. Equal rights doesn’t apply to privately owned nightclubs.

You have to ask yourself why they have this rule? Is it because of a pandemic that foreigners are not dealing with? Have foreigners caused trouble there before? Or is it an excuse to stop some particular foreigners from entering?

It is a private business. 

the bar in melbourne was acting illegally and if reported would be fined quite a lot for doing any of those things.

Just because it is a private business does not mean it can do what it likes.

In thailand not so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm going there as soon as I get my Thai ID car this year! 

cool, what type of car will it be? if you spread the cost between all the passengers it sounds like a bargain at 100thb a head, perhaps 2 in the boot too ????

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But it's not vetting ‘people’ before entry....  its singling out and charging foreigners 500b entry and not performing any checks on Thai’s and not charging them.

The unequal treatment can easily be recognised as xenophobic behaviour. 

-------

Having to carry a passport to get into a Bar is ridiculous - every one in Thailand, Thai or Foreigner has been in the country long term or has gone through 15 night quarantine and been tested numerous times. 

I’m struggling to find any logical reason this bar would behave in such a manner other than racism and they don’t want foreigners in the bar but can’t make such an overt regulation.

For sure they want foreigners AND the 500 baht. Money money money !

50 minutes ago, Susco said:

That would be awesome, though I didn't know people with a real Thai ID card had to do 90 day reports

NEXT

image.png.f323299838751b909982c023614b62a1.png

It does take time between applying for citizenship and actually getting the ID card. In the meantime, you still need to do 90 day reports and get visa and work permit extensions.  NEXT time think.  

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A Bangkok nightclub has set up what resembles an immigration counter outside the venue to check foreigners’ IDs and make them pay up before entering. At BarBarBar in Thong Lor, Thais get in free, but foreigners are asked to step aside to the booth and either pay 500 baht or buy a bottle of alcohol before entering the venue.

Reminds of an old song "Walk on by"