CP's acquisition of Tesco Lotus compromises consumer interests, says ex-deputy PM

webfact

CP's acquisition of Tesco Lotus compromises consumer interests, says ex-deputy PM

By The Nation

800_99e3f0be4de5702.jpg?v=1604903613

The takeover of Tesco Lotus by conglomerate CP Group will have a negative effect on consumers, former deputy prime minister Korbsak Sabhavasu said.

After the Office of Trade Competition Commission voted to allow CP Retail Development Co Ltd and Tesco Stores (Thailand) to merge, Korbsak pointed out that there would be less competition in the market.

He expressed disappointment that the merger was allowed on November 2 after about three months of deliberations.

He said that the consumers would lose benefits from CP’s decision to buy Tesco from Ek-Chai Distribution System Co Ltd, which was the major shareholder. About 40 per cent of CP Retail Development shares belong to CP All, 40 per cent is held by Charoen Pokphand Holding Co Ltd, and 20 per cent by CP Merchandising Co Ltd.

The acquisition along with that of Tesco Stores (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd were processed simultaneously and they were worth Bt338 billion in total.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397605

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-09

If you own 80/90 % of the market through 711, Makro, now Tesco (which I believed they sold then bought back) thereIs no competition by in Thai pockets - how much??? 

It sucks but get used to it - the MPs suddenly are worth X amount  times richer the chicken lady gets off scot free - the  "elected PM" LMAO won't quit & the HRH lives in another country with all his billions & numerous wives

I love Thailand & the people for most  but decided after the Coup - things started going down the <deleted>ter - & this ain't about Covid - this is being about people in charge that shouldn't even be there in the 1st place 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

Correct Korbsak, but as you and millions of others know this so-called government are controlled by CP, do anything/everything CP wants.

A sad day for competition here, but control is all CP care about, control of the country.

In ANY other civilised society, this would never be permitted. This showcases corruption at it"s highest level.

...... DISGRACEFUL DECISION!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tesco retail was shoddy in Buriram Province prior to this sale. They could not even build a medium size store, let alone a full size Tesco in Buriram itself.  The "out of stock" situation had been an ongoing issue for months at the Tesco Lotus I shopped. With the change in ownership. I see better stocking procedures at my local Tesco Lotus store. Prices still compete with BigC.