State of emergency extended 45 days until January 15th

webfact

State of emergency extended 45 days until January 15th

000_1WM6P7.jpg

Commuters with facemasks to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus walk to a train station at rush hour in Bangkok.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has decided to extend the state of emergency for another 45 days, from December 1st until January 15th, in order to cover the New Year festival, when many people will return to their home towns or travel during the long vacation.

General Nataphol Narkpanich, secretary-general of the National Security Council, in his capacity as head of the CCSA sub-panel, said today that the extension was not politically motivated, but intended to cover the New Year holiday period and so that the sub-panel would not need to meet again before the new year.

He reasoned that many people travel during the New Year period and it is necessary that precautions are taken to prevent the possible spread of the coronavirus.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/state-of-emergency-extended-45-days-until-january-15th/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 3

Although I don't have a crystal ball, I somehow knew they were going to extend it - again!

Why not just extend it indefinitely? That would save them from having to report these monthly extensions. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It doesn't require a state of emergency to do that.

It merely requires maintaining, with "normal" legislation, procedures that are currently in place and  carrying out that specific task.

The state of emergency is now solely to justify increasingly restrictive measures, against vociferous, politically active Thai citizens......in Thailand.

Yeah noticed I ended my post with "I Guess".

Anywho it has zero affect to me or my family so meh.

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

I believe we have been, and will continue to be, under a "state of emergency" ???????????? for quite some time. 

At least until they've quelled the uprising, or a vaccine comes out then it could be difficult to explain.

2 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Forty five days is not nearly enough….

They should immediately petition Higher Headquarters in China for permission to….

- declare a permanent state of emergency.

- declare a permanent state of martial law.

- declare mandatory reconciliation.

- declare mandatory happiness.

- declare the Hero-General Tyrant-in-Chief for life.

This would solve all of Democratic Thailand’s current problems and...clear the way for a bright, richly deserved authoritarian future.

And don't forget bringing happiness to the people!

Why not declare a permanent state of emergency and then when the upper crust are experiencing less paranoia then issue 30 day states of non-emergency for those very rare periods of time.  Probably less paperwork imho.

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

It doesn't require a state of emergency to do that.

It merely requires maintaining, with "normal" legislation, procedures that are currently in place and  carrying out that specific task.

The state of emergency is now solely to justify increasingly restrictive measures, against vociferous, politically active Thai citizens......in Thailand.

Also helpful to those wanting a quiet Christmas, not being disturbed by popular revolts