How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

I can't see why the girls would be coming back now.  There's been no change in government policy.  There's still no tourists flying in. 

Chicken and egg... egg and chicken.

There will be plenty of tourists driving in, so there is a draw for a poor girl under pressure in Issarn, whose welcome at home may be strained now.

The 'scene' post Lockdown 1 was better than post Lockdown 2 and in need of an injection of a few more girls and if that is the case... good. Even post LD1 I felt the nightlife was benefiting from an injection of girls coming from Samui and Phuket, talked to quite a few.

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm not in the UK.  I'm in Pattaya.

"Plenty of girls" compared to what, pre covid?  I don't think so.    

Spoke to a couple of bar girls during the week who are still up in Issan.  They have no intention of coming back to Pattaya anytime soon.

Not as many by far as a year ago, but not as many punters either. Still more than enough to go around. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rott said:

Not as many by far as a year ago, but not as many punters either. Still more than enough to go around. 

Yes and no.... fewer girls, fewer punters too, on average I felt girl numbers were down around LK Metro post Lockdown 2... place was not as much fun as post LD 1 (maybe cos my favourite Kinks never reopened). Not had a night out for maybe 10 days....any recent tick-up?

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes and no.... fewer girls, fewer punters too, on average I felt girl numbers were down around LK Metro post Lockdown 2... place was not as much fun as post LD 1 (maybe cos my favourite Kinks never reopened). Not had a night out for maybe 10 days....any recent tick-up?

LK never my drinking spot but I do cut through it once or twice a week, definitely not as many people about. At least a third of the place is closed but still lively enough. Bukhao has a growing influx of katoeys, they are everywhere. 

20 hours ago, rott said:

Yes, there's still enough around, but the point I am making is, the bar girls back in Issan will be looking to see when the amount of tourists is at a level that makes it viable for them to return, and the tourists will be sitting back in their home country speaking to expat friends, and bar girls they keep contact with, and may not return until a high percentage of bar girl return to Pattaya.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Yes, there's still enough around, but the point I am making is, the bar girls back in Issan will be looking to see when the amount of tourists is at a level that makes it viable for them to return, and the tourists will be sitting back in their home country speaking to expat friends, and bar girls they keep contact with, and may not return until a high percentage of bar girl return to Pattaya.   

People that come to thailand just to get their nat king cole will know you can always find someone in Pattaya that flocks your switch so i disagree when you say a lot will be waiting for the bar girls to return from Issan ( coz that's the only place they come from, right? ) lol.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

People that come to thailand just to get their nat king cole will know you can always find someone in Pattaya that flocks your switch so i disagree when you say a lot will be waiting for the bar girls to return from Issan ( coz that's the only place they come from, right? ) lol.

Issan is the place the majority of the bar girls come from, right?  

It's not just the bar girls, it's bars themselves.  Take a look around, so many places closed.  Many may wait for Pattaya to bounce back before holidaying here. 

45 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Issan is the place the majority of the bar girls come from, right?  

It's not just the bar girls, it's bars themselves.  Take a look around, so many places closed.  Many may wait for Pattaya to bounce back before holidaying here. 

I don't know where the majority of girls come from, i've never done a survey to find out, have you?

16 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I don't know where the majority of girls come from, i've never done a survey to find out, have you?

Yeah, I have.

Me:           Where you come from darling?

Bar girl:     Issan.

????

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I agree with hbh, I know people who are gagging to get back after a very bad year away and there's more than enough here to keep them happy. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rott said:

I agree with hbh, I know people who are gagging to get back after a very bad year away and there's more than enough here to keep them happy. 

I know many guys dying to get back here, but do you think it will like a switch?  The Thai government announces borders are open and just like that, pre covid tourism returns? 

What time frame do you put on it, from the borders are open announcement, to pre covid tourism returning?    

What I meant was if they arrived tomorrow there is everything here that they need. They would be happy with it. Money not the problem, just reluctant to do the quarantine. 

If many were to come I am sure the facilities would sort out the additional requirements. 

Return to pre covid tourism? Wouldn't bother me if it never happened. 

27 minutes ago, rott said:

What I meant was if they arrived tomorrow there is everything here that they need.

Everything they need is here, but nowhere in the abundance they would be akin to.  Now, do they need an abundance, probably not, would some postpone their holiday until there was an abundance, probably yes. 

What would you say to someone that liked to dance in the nightclubs in Walking Street? 

You you seriously recommend to friends to come here now for a 2 week holiday, even if there was no quarantine?  Do you think they would be disappointed when they got here? 

We are used to it here now, but for the 2 week millionaires, they would be disappointed for sure. 

31 minutes ago, rott said:

Return to pre covid tourism? Wouldn't bother me if it never happened

But we are not discussing YOU.  We are discussing tourists, and Thailand's tourism industry.  

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Everything they need is here, but nowhere in the abundance they would be akin to.  Now, do they need an abundance, probably not, would some postpone their holiday until there was an abundance, probably yes. 

What would you say to someone that liked to dance in the nightclubs in Walking Street? 

You you seriously recommend to friends to come here now for a 2 week holiday, even if there was no quarantine?  Do you think they would be disappointed when they got here? 

We are used to it here now, but for the 2 week millionaires, they would be disappointed for sure. 

But we are not discussing YOU.  We are discussing tourists, and Thailand's tourism industry.  

I do not know anyone who comes here for two weeks. Very few that I know come for less than a month and they are here more than once a year. Most that I know are here permanently or semi-permanently. 

I did not realise we were discussing general tourism, I thought we were discussing punters who come to the Pattaya farang ghetto. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

I know many guys dying to get back here, but do you think it will like a switch?  The Thai government announces borders are open and just like that, pre covid tourism returns? 

What time frame do you put on it, from the borders are open announcement, to pre covid tourism returning?    

Yes so do I, mostly guys who actually lived here long term retired, but more who are regular once a year to 3-4 times a year visitors (again usually retired). I also know a few who are back here after undergoing the rigmarole of quarantine. Those are mostly European... an Oz pal claims getting out of there is the difficult part. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

What's to be disappointed with, there's more than enough bars / clubs / restaraunts open to chose from ( albiet they close a little earlier ), also plenty of talent still to be had and less competition from other perverts.

Really, i think most people would prefer these conditions, less traffic / less queues / less people, what's to be disappointed about?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rott said:

If there was a shortage of entertainment when they first arrived (which doesn't seem likely) it would be solved within 24 hours as the jungle drums beat out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, treetops said:

If there was a shortage of entertainment when they first arrived (which doesn't seem likely) it would be solved within 24 hours as the jungle drums beat out.

Exactly. 

On 3/8/2021 at 12:30 AM, rott said:

I do not know anyone who comes here for two weeks.

Would you accept the majority of TOURISTS come here for 2 weeks?

Very few that I know come for less than a month and they are here more than once a year. Most that I know are here permanently or semi-permanently. 

Do visitors such as these make up the majority of tourists here?

I did not realise we were discussing general tourism, I thought we were discussing punters who come to the Pattaya farang ghetto. 

The majority of western punters that come to the Pattaya farang ghetto are "general tourists."  ???? 

On 3/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

What's to be disappointed with, there's more than enough bars / clubs / restaraunts open to chose from ( albiet they close a little earlier ), also plenty of talent still to be had and less competition from other perverts.

Really, i think most people would prefer these conditions, less traffic / less queues / less people, what's to be disappointed about?

As expats we enjoy less traffic, people etc, but tourists like the lively atmosphere of a thriving Pattaya.  

On 3/8/2021 at 1:27 PM, treetops said:

What nightclub would your suggest they go to?  ????

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Do visitors such as these make up the majority of tourists here?

The majority of western punters that come to the Pattaya farang ghetto are "general tourists."  ???? 

No, the majority are regular long stay punters who know what to expect and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

No, the majority are regular long stay punters who know what to expect and enjoy it. 

What do you call "long stay?"

To be long stay, that would tend to indicate they don't work, as in, retired. 

What about all those younger mongers, under 60 years of age here. Do you think the yare long stay punters as well?   

Are the majority of punters to Pattaya all unemployed?  ????

Leaver basically we have different experiences of the place and different ideas of what is the norm. 

Many of those I know (or knew) did construction work  for example for agencies who were happy to have them work for six months or so and then go away for similar. Others did two jobs, their main aim being to spend as much time as possible here. And many were retired, early retired or semi-retired. Offshore workers "on rotation" make up a fair number. 

Long stay.? To me would be people spending upwards of three months a year here, be it one visit or three. 

If you have never experienced any of this, well so be it. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Leaver said:

NO

22 hours ago, Leaver said:

Sez you.