Huge postage increase !

madox66

12 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

We use moonpig.com 

Book up to a year in advance and forget about it. You can put your pictures into the cards and text to personalise them.

Yes, that is what I do, thanks for the reminder to get it done. Can cover the UK and a few pals who have moved to Oz too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

We use moonpig.com 

Book up to a year in advance and forget about it. You can put your pictures into the cards and text to personalise them.

Do they then send them as a card or as an e-mail.???? the site is a little vague

16 hours ago, madox66 said:

Been to the main post office to sent 5 Xmas cards. The lady told me there was an increase in the postage but I never thought it would be that much for a regular, not registered air mail letter weighing just 16 g : 76 B for UK and 175 B for USA !! Next year I will send online cards.

Post.jpg

I went to the main Post Office on Sukhumvit, near where Jomtien Second Road joins it, and posted a Christmas card to a cousin in the UK last week. The cost was 39 Baht. Yesterday I was in the TukCom area and had three more cards to send to friends in the UK so I used the small sub-post office opposite TukCom, near the motorbike taxi stand on South Pattaya Road (east side of TukCom). These cards may have been slightly heavier, but there wasn't much in it, yet the guy charged me 112 Baht each for sending them.

How does that work, are prices higher in the franchised sub-post offices than they are in the main branches?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Guderian said:

are prices higher in the franchised sub-post offices than they are in the main branches?

Yes that's how they make a bit of profit for themselves, the customer gets the "convenience" of not having to go all the way to the main post office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johng said:

Yes that's how they make a bit of profit for themselves, the customer gets the "convenience" of not having to go all the way to the main post office.

Still, a roughly 200% markup is a bit steep, the 200 Baht I'd have saved by going back to the PO on Sukhumvit would easily have a paid for my petrol, and a couple of cold beers as well, lol.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, madox66 said:

Been to the main post office to sent 5 Xmas cards. The lady told me there was an increase in the postage but I never thought it would be that much for a regular, not registered air mail letter weighing just 16 g : 76 B for UK and 175 B for USA !! Next year I will send online cards.

Post.jpg

It was the same for my wife when she posted a Xmas card to UK. you can see

on the receipt a 40 Thb charge( translated as Special tax ?), so 36 Thb for postage

and 40 Thb for tax, did you have to put green customs declarations on yours ?

Regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

I went to the main Post Office on Sukhumvit, near where Jomtien Second Road joins it, and posted a Christmas card to a cousin in the UK last week. The cost was 39 Baht. Yesterday I was in the TukCom area and had three more cards to send to friends in the UK so I used the small sub-post office opposite TukCom, near the motorbike taxi stand on South Pattaya Road (east side of TukCom). These cards may have been slightly heavier, but there wasn't much in it, yet the guy charged me 112 Baht each for sending them.

How does that work, are prices higher in the franchised sub-post offices than they are in the main branches?

Franchised what ? they are nothing and not related to any official post office !

funny you

51 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

The receipt shows them as 'small packets' (พัสดุย่อย) and, as others have already said, they have tracking numbers. 

Trackings that do not track...

https://track.thailandpost.co.th/?trackNumber=UA121793935TH

https://track.thailandpost.co.th/?trackNumber=UA121793921TH

Edited by suhoaswhas

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They send cards via Royal Mail in the UK.

Thanks Jack45k....I am having a problem getting a picture(photo) on to the space in the card............am I missing something that is obvious..?????????

4 hours ago, suhoaswhas said:

Really guys, why are you talking ? not even one of you can read that the surcharge is only 40 thb for COVID ?!

How possible that people keep talking when they know and understand nothing ?

It doesn't say anything about COVID. It just says 'special international air admin fee'. Maybe that's COVID but it doesn't say that. 

From the Thailand Post website it looks like the air letter rate is 24 baht with no surcharge, while the small packet rate is 36 baht plus 40 baht surcharge. Probably explains the difference. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Thanks Jack45k....I am having a problem getting a picture(photo) on to the space in the card............am I missing something that is obvious..?????????

Hard to say, I always used a laptop and achieved it quite easily.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:36 PM, madox66 said:

Post.jpg

As I can see a tracking number for each item, they are obviously registered postages, and not regular ones

On 12/7/2020 at 8:08 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

We use moonpig.com 

Thanks for this information. It will be very useful once I learn how to insert a photo into the card. Working on the signature part now. Many thanks. 

• Like 1