Selling Price Higher than Advertised Price or Shelf Price

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

I was wrong, and it is actually top right corner, but at the same time here is another example of how Big C promotions work.????

image.png.98fa8f9ccf8e9d6061de7c3780943f2f.png

image.thumb.jpeg.f9294e5711231c54ef01cef5c2160e4d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7b21af018475a608a45f1d6739a62911.jpeg

i am sure if you ask why

they will probably blame the increase of the taxes 

or covid or another distant and external non sense 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

In Pattaya i have always paid the same price as the locals for the bahts bus

it's 10 bahts since ages now, thais and farangs (I think it was 5 bahts very long time ago?)

It was ten baht when i first went to pattaya 20 odd years ago while thais paid 5,very rarely get them now would sooner walk.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

i am sure if you ask why

they will probably blame the increase of the taxes 

or covid or another distant and external non sense 

For sure it wasn't the expiry date, because the single pack expired April 2021, while the double pack expired January 2021.

For many months, a few years ago, I bought donuts in Big C and a 10 pack was 40 Baht, while a 6 pack was 20 Baht.

This was not a promotion but regular pricing.This lasted for almost a year I think.

But these things are just Thai logic.

Look at Sang Som rum. In every supermarket it is 286 Baht for 70 cl, and 430 Baht for 1 liter.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

So someone being paid but not doing his job correctly

and this costing your money, but ''mai pen lai'' ?

Oh don't be so precious! Someone made a mistake. It's hardly the end of the world. It really says more about the person who gets so upset about it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

In Pattaya i have always paid the same price as the locals for the bahts bus

it's 10 bahts since ages now, thais and farangs (I think it was 5 bahts very long time ago?)

That was a long time ago.  They have to charge more because people are getting fatter these days.

• Haha 1

The Thai Law is the same as UK law, doesn't matter what is displayed even if incorrect it doesn't have to be sold at incorrect price. 

They make mistakes with offers, often late removing them, just say you don't want them at the till, if you buy anyway you are a 1st class mug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The Thai Law is the same as UK law, doesn't matter what is displayed even if incorrect it doesn't have to be sold at incorrect price. 

They make mistakes with offers, often late removing them, just say you don't want them at the till, if you buy anyway you are a 1st class mug

Think you,re wrong on that point,i,ve got into disputes of this nature and walked out with it at the price advertised,right or wrong,if you want to stand the 3 card trick up to you,this is only in the uk.

5 hours ago, Susco said:

For sure it wasn't the expiry date, because the single pack expired April 2021, while the double pack expired January 2021.

For many months, a few years ago, I bought donuts in Big C and a 10 pack was 40 Baht, while a 6 pack was 20 Baht.

This was not a promotion but regular pricing.This lasted for almost a year I think.

But these things are just Thai logic.

Look at Sang Som rum. In every supermarket it is 286 Baht for 70 cl, and 430 Baht for 1 liter.

How quaint.

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes, it could be that indeed

Yeah funny how it always seem s to be in the stores favour though,however 20 years ago was in a warehouse and the wilkinson sword razors were priced at £2 for 100 instead of 10,went back invested £20 and am still using them today.

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, Banana7 said:

For me, when an item is offered by a seller at a price, and the offer is accepted by the buyer, the sale should concluded at the offered price..

Your statement is totally logical, but it is not correct according to contract law.  Regarding offer and acceptance, as silly as it seems, when a customer takes a product to the cashier, the customer is deemed to be making the offer!  The acceptance is made by the store.  Legally, then, the store can decline to accept the store's own stated price! 

This, at least, is the law in Canada.  In Canada (unlike what some OPs have said applies to the UK) there's no law that requires companies to honor the advertised price if that price is wrong.  Of course, there have been many well-publicized instances where the company DOES honor the advertised price, and then makes sure that it receives good press coverage for its magnanimity.  

Edited by LarryLEB

2 hours ago, LarryLEB said:

Your statement is totally logical, but it is not correct according to contract law.  Regarding offer and acceptance, as silly as it seems, when a customer takes a product to the cashier, the customer is deemed to be making the offer!  The acceptance is made by the store.  Legally, then, the store can decline to accept the store's own stated price! 

This, at least, is the law in Canada.  In Canada (unlike what some OPs have said applies to the UK) there's no law that requires companies to honor the advertised price if that price is wrong.  Of course, there have been many well-publicized instances where the company DOES honor the advertised price, and then makes sure that it receives good press coverage for its magnanimity.  

Basically, there is no incentive for a retailer to put accurate prices on the shelf, if there are no penalties. It takes time and money to change price tags on items or the shelf. Since there are no penalties, the retailer should put lower prices on the shelf to induce a buyer to pick the item thinking they are getting a good deal.

The Retail Council of Canada does have a policy for scanned items that says the customer gets the product for free, if the scanned registered price is higher than the shelf price and it is valued at $10 or less,.

Here are the details:

https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-price-accuracy-code/

It would be nice if Thailand had a similar code of conduct for retailers.

Scanner-Price-Accuracy-Code-Stickers-L1.png

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mstevens said:

Oh don't be so precious! Someone made a mistake. It's hardly the end of the world. It really says more about the person who gets so upset about it!

I am not upset, obviously you are lol

it's not a mistake, this is a repetitive issue so

it's someone not doing his job on a regular basis

i agree it's not the end of the world, but if we can't talk about 

this problem here fell free to give me a list of the matters we are allowed to discuss

TYA

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They make mistakes with offers, often late removing them

It wil be intersting to know why exactly they makes this ''mistake'' so often 

it can not be because of the shortage on employees, most of the time in

Thailand there are more employees than customers in the shop

maybe they are too ''busy'' talking with each other or texting on their phones?

The ''management'' style in Thailand seems to be ''let's every employee does what he wants in the way he wants

never critisize someone or make any remark or the employee could disapear and not come back at the job

and  it should be ok anyway because the thai customers don't and can't complain'' (Face saving concept

defamation laws and so on)

• Like 1

It has been my observation over the years here, that if a person is not a member of the stores that have these Buy One Get One Free specials etc., a non-member does get that discount, the normal price applies.  

A member used to show a card to be scanned, now days people just quote a phone number to the cashier and if the phone number is to a valid member account, then the discounts will apply. 

10 hours ago, kingdong said:

Think you,re wrong on that point,i,ve got into disputes of this nature and walked out with it at the price advertised,right or wrong,if you want to stand the 3 card trick up to you,this is only in the uk.

In the UK the law is on the retailers side but they may decide to let the customer have it at the incorrect price. Loads of stories of items being advertised incorrectly online, they sells thousands then the retailer cancels it, all legal

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It wil be intersting to know why exactly they makes this ''mistake'' so often 

it can not be because of the shortage on employees, most of the time in

Thailand there are more employees than customers in the shop

maybe they are too ''busy'' talking with each other or texting on their phones?

The ''management'' style in Thailand seems to be ''let's every employee does what he wants in the way he wants

never critisize someone or make any remark or the employee could disapear and not come back at the job

and  it should be ok anyway because the thai customers don't and can't complain'' (Face saving concept

defamation laws and so on)

Big C staff are always busy, the opposite of say Thaiwatsadu for example, I've seen them in groups chatting doing each others hair, anything but work, and when you ask a question you feel like you're interrupting them doing <deleted>. 

I've never had an incorrect bill at Big C, a couple of times old offer stickers or items put in wrong place. Similar to UK from memory. If I buy because of the offer I certainly don't continue with buying

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The Retail Council of Canada does have a policy for scanned items that says the customer gets the product for free, if the scanned registered price is higher than the shelf price and it is valued at $10 or less,.

Here are the details:

https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-price-accuracy-code/

It would be nice if Thailand had a similar code of conduct for retailers.

When Carrefour was in Thailand, they had that policy. When Big C took over they kept that policy for another 6 months I think, before abandoning it.

I saved a lot of money in those 6 months lol

Edited by Susco

On 12/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, colinneil said:

Banana7 you have to remember where you are, things are different here.

I have been buying french fries ( chips to us English folk), they have been priced @69 baht per bag.

Recently i looked freezer was empty, further along another freezer with a BIG sign, saying buy 1 get 1 free, so of course i got 2, at the checkout i was charged 138 baht, so i questioned it.

Manager says, it is buy 1 get 1 free, but you charged me for 2, no price is 138 baht for 1, no bloody way says i, they have been 69 baht for several months, so now you double the price and claim 1 is free, BS.

Amazing Thailand.

The 'buy 1 get 1 free' is just a sales gimmick in Thailand. It's actually two times the normal price for one.

The same goes with those ridiculous pricing of 1299/xxx99 where one baht don't make any difference.

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, The Theory said:

A few days ago I went to Tops market and picked 2 toothpaste, buy one get one free. At the cashier full price for 2. She sent someone to check. The "tag date" was expired, but the tag was still on the shelf. They apologized and I got it. Buy 1 get one free. 

A good example of a retailer who realises that keeping a customer is more valuable than the price of a tube of toothpaste.

I ordered some groceries online from Tops. One item was a buy 1 get 2, but there was only one in stock - so they reduced the price of the item by 50%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

A good example of a retailer who realises that keeping a customer is more valuable than the price of a tube of toothpaste.

Does that mean they fire the staff member responsible?  Keep the customer, but lose the staff member.  

On 12/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, colinneil said:

Banana7 you have to remember where you are, things are different here.

I have been buying french fries ( chips to us English folk), they have been priced @69 baht per bag.

Recently i looked freezer was empty, further along another freezer with a BIG sign, saying buy 1 get 1 free, so of course i got 2, at the checkout i was charged 138 baht, so i questioned it.

Manager says, it is buy 1 get 1 free, but you charged me for 2, no price is 138 baht for 1, no bloody way says i, they have been 69 baht for several months, so now you double the price and claim 1 is free, BS.

Amazing Thailand.

mek yer own chips mi ol' mucker.......I DO !!!

• Haha 1