Trump and 17 states back Texas bid to undo his election loss at Supreme Court

webfact

9 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Add to that the fact that the Constitution will never be amended again, because achieving the trifecta of super-majorities in the House, the Senate, and the states is impossible in the current polarized political climate.  The only solution is a new constitutional convention to write a new constitution from the ground up.

and given that, IMO, all the states would have to agree to write a new constitution, or accept a new one, what chances do you give that happening in a way that liberals would like? LOL.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and given that, IMO, all the states would have to agree to write a new constitution, or accept a new one, what chances do you give that happening in a way that liberals would like? LOL.

Some things are not a matter of opinion. Like convening for a Constitutional convention. A 2/3 majority of states is what the Constitution stipulates.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Some things are not a matter of opinion. Like convening for a Constitutional convention. A 2/3 majority of states is what the Constitution stipulates.

Even if they could get enough support to pass a popular vote for president, that would IMO lead to secession of some states

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even if they could get enough support to pass a popular vote for president, that would IMO lead to secession of some states

Well, since previously you invoked IMO to claim that it would require a unanimity of states to hold a Constitutional convention, you've given us some idea of what it's worth.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Secession would probably never happen.  My father is from Michigan and we witnessed the failed campaign of the north to become it's own state.

I lived in CA for decades and witnessed the same thing.  It's a really hard thing to get the entire population to agree on this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, looking on the bright side said:

The postal ballots and mail-in votes are always risky,  shouldn't be allowed .Of course,  in such  voting  system   a fraud is possible and highly likely to happen. There is a bitter division in the US, like there are two Americas and two tribes turned against each other. The two tribes have different cultural values , based on different ethnicity and race. Now they are grouping and digging in. In the first place this situation has  been created by the anti-Trump tribe which couldn't accept he was duly elected in 2016, and his presidency has been sabotaged  relentlessly. Now, the media declared  winner in 2020 elections , who is not yet confirmed as an elected president, may also not be accepted  and approved by the opposing party , the supporters of president Trump.  What goes round, comes round

"... created by the anti-Trump tribe which couldn't accept he was duly elected in 2016".

I'd like to offer a different perspective.  I think the anti-Trump tribe in 2016 could not accept his winning the election, because they feared that as President he would be an agent of mayhem.  And I think now we're seeing that their concerns were legitimate.  He's causing havoc about this election.  It's what he always does.  

If there were some legitimate proof that there was fraud in this election, I'd be happy to consider it.  As a matter of fact, at this point I'd love to see this case taken up by the Supreme Court, where the facts were laid out by Trump's side, so that the Justices could determine unequivocally that the election was legitimate, and that there wasn't fraud sufficient enough to change the outcome of the election.  And not merely refuse to hear the case.  I think that without hearing the case and making a determination, the chorus will continue for the next 4 years caterwauling that Trump was robbed and that Biden was not a legitimate President.  

I think there are weaknesses in our election process.  Let's consider ways to make elections even safer and more fair for the future, so there's no question of legitimacy.  This election is over, and has been deemed carried out in a fair and non-fraudulent manner.  If you have misgivings, let's work together to fix the system for future elections.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

I'd love to see this case taken up by the Supreme Court, where the facts were laid out by Trump's side, so that the Justices could determine unequivocally that the election was legitimate, and that there wasn't fraud sufficient enough to change the outcome of the election. 

So would every voter capable of critical thinking. It's painfully obvious to those who DO possess this ability that the election is over, there was no fraud, else it would have been exposed in any of the 50+ lawsuits that were thrown out of the courts, many with messages from the judges to stop the nonsense. The world is looking aghast at the flimsy transparent attempt by shyster lawyers to overturn a fair election. No self respecting attorney would take on a case like this, so all they were left with is Rudy.

Edited by J Town
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Trump's picked another loser for a lawyer for this one.  Figures.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/09/politics/john-eastman-trump-texas-kamala-harris/index.html

Attorney representing Trump in Texas dispute pushed racist conspiracy about Kamala Harris

Who would have thunked it :)??:wai:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is no chance at all right now.  Since, however we know that within twenty years half of the voters will be concentrated in only eight states, it is not likely to escape everyone's notice that half the voters will have a lot less than half of the electoral votes and will therefore be underrepresented in the Electoral College.  The pressure for change will build.

Stay tuned.  You heard it here first.

Edited by cmarshall

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Just to be clear, I am not calling for an Article V constitutional convention whose purpose would be to amend the Constitution and which would indeed require the participation of 2/3 of the state.  That method would never work, because the demographic shifts that are coming will advantage the less populous states to the detriment of the majority much more than is even now the case.  Therefore, it is unlikely that those states would ever agree to such a convention.

I am calling for an illegal constitutional convention to overthrow the current US Constitution and replace it from top to bottom with a more modern and more democratic constitution.  The precedents for just such an illegal constitutional convention are the illegal Continental Congress of 1776 which declared independence and the illegal Constitutional Convention of 1787 which wrote a new constitution to replace the Articles of Confederation.  The convention of 1787 was indeed illegal, because the Articles made a provision for amendment, but none for its complete replacement, which the Convention nevertheless undertook.

17 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:
On 12/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, riclag said:

Good development ,strength in numbers !

This is how the democratic process works!

Good for you America

I thought the ballot box was how it worked. The person who wins the most votes, wins the Presidency. Or is that just in every other country in the world that has Presidential elections?

As Giuliani said "elections are decided by courts."

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

I think that without hearing the case and making a determination, the chorus will continue for the next 4 years caterwauling that Trump was robbed and that Biden was not a legitimate President.  

IMO you are 100% correct about that. IMO 70 + million Americans and many of the GOP politicians do not consider the election to have been without major fraud, and if the SCOTUS does not make a considered ruling this will be a thorn in Biden's term, however long it may be.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

You know what this lawsuit by Texas is? it is The Titanic going down and this lawsuit is the part where only the bow is left in the air and all of MAGA is crowded at the top gripping the rails as the ship plunges into the sea...bon voyage President Trump. Let the scramble for the life boats (in this case, Pardons) commence....

That's too classy of an analogy, IMO it's like the season finale of a reality show.

Will Brad give the rose to Ashley or Jenna?

Will Chuck be able to swim to the next island without being attacked by a shark?

Will Nicole complete her rehab or go downtown to score heroin?

Tune in next time . . .

:biggrin:

But not really the finale, next episode after this will be January 6th

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/04/how-trump-allies-congress-can-launch-one-more-challenge-bidens-win-january/

As for the current coup initiative I'm anticipating someone on SCOTUS (Alito/Thomas or Roberts) issuing a "cut out this idiocy" missive.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also anticipating something heinous happening.  Soon.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Those who believe there is fraud in spite of the absence of credible evidence will continue to believe so regardless of a court ruling.  Look at all the court rulings they are actively ignoring now.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but if the question of the election is decided by the Supreme Court, with 1/3 of the Justices having been selected by Trump, perhaps that will put an end to things.  Knowing that the Supreme Court is the last stop on the line, any and all evidence and proof of fraud would need to be presented at that time.  Maybe the rendering of a decision by the top court in the land will create some finality.  

Like I said, maybe I'm just dreaming...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you are 100% correct about that. IMO 70 + million Americans and many of the GOP politicians do not consider the election to have been without major fraud, and if the SCOTUS does not make a considered ruling this will be a thorn in Biden's term, however long it may be.

555! Biden has already laughed this off. The nasty, vindictive way 45 and his supporters have behaved will be a pebble in Joe's shoe, soon to be cleared out when he delivers a solid boot to 45's rear end.

• Like 2