Video: Wife puts the brakes on "dementia" driving husband in Bangkok

webfact

Video: Wife puts the brakes on "dementia" driving husband in Bangkok

6pmVI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai social media - and national TV - was rife with comment after the antics of a driver in a blue Honda Jazz were all over the internet. 

On several occasions the car was caught on dash cams stopping then reversing towards other motorists.

Though there were no reports of damage the footage was frightening and frequent with cases reported by Channel 3 from November 30th and December 6th. 

Many others had gone to Samrong Neua police to report the Jazz. The registration plate was clearly visible. 

Finally a 52 year old man accompanied by his wife - who was given the assumed name of Daeng - surrendered to the police. 

Daeng implored the media not to reveal her husband's identity or personal details and not to take pictures. 

She said that he was employed until he was 52 but resigned after getting increasingly more forgetful.

Since then he has been in and out of hospitals with a dementia diagnosis.

Despite medication having been taken over the last year it is only getting worse. 

She said that on the day in question he had left Soi Bearing (Sukhumvit 109) and was coming to pick her up in Thepparak. 

After this she saw the many clips on social media and said she was shocked and just glad there had not been an accident. She questioned her husband about what had happened and he said he had no recollection. 

She said that his driving days were over after seeing his behavior. 

The police fined him for unsafe driving, fined him and let him go home. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-10

• Thanks 1

Of all the things that you might need to do with a person suffering from dementia, stoping them from driving has got to be the easiest. Leave out a false key and set it up so that they set of an alarm when they get into the car. Then tell them that the car is "broken."

• Like 1

52 is quite young to have the start of dementia or even forgetfulness, but it is not out of the question as there are cases most because of High BP, or even mini strokes.  Maybe the man should be checked by a doctor to ensure he does not have a aneurysm or a small brain bleed.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And the wife pretends she didn't know about any problems before she saw her husband driving on facebook. Yeah, sure...

She should be fined for endangering people. He could have killed people because she didn't care.

Did she just happen to come across the videos on Farcebook of HER husband driving his car erratically?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The police fined him for unsafe driving, fined him and let him go home. 

Fined him twice. Hoping he would forget..

I had to tell my aunt to stop driving and had to get her to sell her car after she spent 2 hours driving home from shops, 15 minutes away. Apparently, someone attacked the car at the same shops a day or 2 earlier, but I found evidence of car coloured paint on the walls of the house near the garage.

Dang, dementia creeps up and sometimes, it takes some hair raising stunts for some one to realise what's going on. Good on this lady for taking the action she did.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And the wife pretends she didn't know about any problems before she saw her husband driving on facebook. Yeah, sure...

She should be fined for endangering people. He could have killed people because she didn't care.

She said that she knew there was a problem with forgetfulness,  the behaviour was full blown dementia which perhaps she didn't realize he had, until this incident. This kind of thing happens frequently with dementia sufferers. Relatives and friends think they are OK just slightly forgetful until a major incident like this occurs. Dementia can hide behind a façade of  reasonable behaviour and often fools Health Care Professionals as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

52 is quite young to have the start of dementia or even forgetfulness, but it is not out of the question as there are cases most because of High BP, or even mini strokes.  Maybe the man should be checked by a doctor to ensure he does not have a aneurysm or a small brain bleed.

I worked in Neurology when I was a nurse. It does happen more frequently than you think. It's called 'Pre Senile Dementia', which means has become demented before the age of 60. Senile is one of the 4 stages of life eg infantile=under 4yrs, Juvenile 4-16yrs, Adult 16-60yrs, Senile=60yrs and over. You are senile if you are 60 years or more but not necessarily demented. As for me, I am a senile delinquent, must go for a pee now before I go and raise Cain, (sorry I mean my Cane).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Fined him twice. Hoping he would forget..

I had to tell my aunt to stop driving and had to get her to sell her car after she spent 2 hours driving home from shops, 15 minutes away. Apparently, someone attacked the car at the same shops a day or 2 earlier, but I found evidence of car coloured paint on the walls of the house near the garage.

Dang, dementia creeps up and sometimes, it takes some hair raising stunts for some one to realise what's going on. Good on this lady for taking the action she did.

Oops, I forgot what i wanted to ask you. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RobU said:

I worked in Neurology when I was a nurse. It does happen more frequently than you think. It's called 'Pre Senile Dementia', which means has become demented before the age of 60. Senile is one of the 4 stages of life eg infantile=under 4yrs, Juvenile 4-16yrs, Adult 16-60yrs, Senile=60yrs and over. You are senile if you are 60 years or more but not necessarily demented. As for me, I am a senile delinquent, must go for a pee now before I go and raise Cain, (sorry I mean my Cane).

I've seen people who couldn't remember what car they had, or where their key was. Then they opened the door with a ruler like thingy, put some wires together to start it.

And off they went. Seems to be a good excuse for car thieves. Officer, I'm demented. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It does not look like dementia ,more like he had some problem

with the driver of camera car, as that is the only one he is reacting

with...

regards Worgeordie

Looks like footage from more than one camera. A dash cam in landscape mode and a mobile phone in portrait mode, the latter showing water on the car's windscreen which is absent in the former. So looks like footage from 2 different cars on two different occasions.

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

Just now, foreverlomsak said:

license or not will still drive given the chance.

In the UK they give you points on the license you don't have.

150 GBP fine and 4 points on your license if you ever get one.

Or driving without a license you are banned from driving for 6 months from the time you get a license.