When to replace tyres

pj123

Change them. Better safe than sorry. And when you change be aware on the age of the new ones! The production date is to be find somewhere on the tires. Usually on the side by year and week they are produced. You dont want to buy old/hard tires.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Yep, I changed my bike tyres last month, 3 years old and only 15,000 Kms, but they were hard even if they looked good, changed them and the difference in performance was huge.

Changed sprocket and chain as well, Pirelli Diablo Rossi all done for 10K.

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If you mean tractor trailers - it is caused by the tire going flat. This makes it flop around. generates large amounts of heat, and finally goes bang. Tread separation is the cause of the chunks of rubber - mainly tread - you see littering the roads the world over.

Tuff to tell if an inside dual on a trailer goes flat while you are driving.

Yes - Arizona is a tire graveyard....

We keep a camper & SUV in the US that we usually go out 4-6 months a year.....This year we should have been there in August, but no go due to C-19.....3 years ago did 8 new tires & used for 2 trips so far = under 20k.....

Next trip will be at the 4 year mark....RV'rs say 5 years regardless....It's going to be a judgement call next year based on inspection/time/sitting.....

57 minutes ago, Captor said:

Change them. Better safe than sorry. And when you change be aware on the age of the new ones! The production date is to be find somewhere on the tires. Usually on the side by year and week they are produced. You dont want to buy old/hard tires.

+1   Age of the tire is very important.

From Car and Driver magazine...

“It may be tentative, but tires do have an expiration date. There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left. How do you know how old your tires are? There’s a code on the sidewall”

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339994/how-long-should-a-new-set-of-tires-last/

• Thumbs Up 1

When my missus took her driving test at a school, they showed her how to read the date on the tyre and told her to change them when 4yrs old, I then asked her if they showed her the wear bar, 'No not show', also the tyre companies only look at the date I've never seen them check the wear bar "tyre old buy new". As i only do limited kl a year, in Thailand, i now buy the cheapies like maxis, I've also had them fitted to my old car for 6 years with no problems. I will stick to the 4yr plan on the new car. edit Also apply tire shine regularly to protect from UV. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Airalee said:

+1   Age of the tire is very important.

From Car and Driver magazine...

“It may be tentative, but tires do have an expiration date. There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left. How do you know how old your tires are? There’s a code on the sidewall”

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339994/how-long-should-a-new-set-of-tires-last/

I was getting round to posting that, I never knew tires had a use by date it was in the garage the guy pointed it out to me, they still looked alright

21 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I was getting round to posting that, I never knew tires had a use by date it was in the garage the guy pointed it out to me, they still looked alright

They don’t. Your garage guy will have pointed out to you where the month and year of build is marked on your Tyre.

Not impressed with that article, no mention of ever having alignment checked or how living in a hot country  effects Tyre life. Parking you car all day in the sun is not good news.

There are many potholes here, drop in one when at speed and odds are you will knock your alignment out,.pickups/SUV’s etc can handle bad roads, cars much less so.

9 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

We had a puncture the other day is it time to change these tyres? 

129898773_10159578470086874_2323297888231756932_o.jpg

Don’t know about that, but it certainly is well passed the time when you should’ve had a alignment check????

Edited by PFMills
  • Like 1

I changed mine on my pajero at around 70,000 km . Tread looked immaculate as never really do long distance driving and sides looked fine . But when inspected closer you could see a few very short lines starting to appear on the outer edges of sidewalls so I changed them to be safe . I think the heat will ruin them even if you don’t really use them that much and eventually will lead to the tyre disintegrating which is not ideal if travelling at over 60kph.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

These tires are beyong their servicable life. There is little tread left and there are hairline cracks. They will perform suboptimally in the wet. I rarely wait unitl I get to the wear bars. Usually the tires will be hard before then, and I've used several brands. I have michelins on a swift at the moment. There are only 2 years old and have good rtreat. However, they apprear to have become very hard and can feel every crack in the road. 

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Yes it's time + when they plug a tire to repair it's not a good thing - especially in a tire that doesn't have much meat left on it.....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Circumferential cracking is not a good thing....The sidewalls are built to flex and dissipate heat and are the weakest part of the tire....If over/under inflated the sidewalls flex in areas it's not designed to....

Usually, when you see a big tire carcass peeled off on the road, it's probably a sidewall blow out....Drive through Arizona and you'll see them all over the roads....

Those cracks are on the treads not sidewalls. The tyres are fine and would be ok to go to the wear indicator, provided they are less than 5 years old. The manufacture date is on the sidewall but I think the sale date is more relevant, mind you I bought some tyres this year after a flat in an underpass - by the time I exited it the tyre was shredded so needed a new pair. Luckily ended up with 50% discount as they admitted they had sat in the stockroom for a year. Rare bargain in LOS! I recommend Michelin Pilot Sports: on every car of ours for the last 10 years and phenomenal in the wet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes it's time + when they plug a tire to repair it's not a good thing - especially in a tire that doesn't have much meat left on it.....

We didn't, the tyre place had a second hand one same make for 800 Baht which will do for now, look around see who has any good deals on they are 4 years old on my wifes car she doesn't drive fast takes it easy

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 2:40 AM, pj123 said:

Front tyre thread. New set of Primacy is 24,600.

2020-12-10 15.49.51.jpg

You can clearly see in your picture that you have not reached the wear bars on the tire. There does not appear to be any unusual cracking in the rubber. You can look up the serial number on your tires to see how old they really are. The serial number contains a date code.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, pj123 said:

Useful. I am just over 4/32. And a lesson that the heavier your car the sooner you should change

Those tests were also using a  moderate amount of water on the road. Now try that in Thailand during a monsoonal downpour. I think one needs more than 4/32. Which is just over 3 mm. That's not a lot. 

• Like 1