The week that was in Thailand news: Manana! Let’s hope it points to a better tomorrow

rooster59

“Passing over Chelsea and Man United I asked the lady if she had “Sapur”. She said yes and thrust a Juventus one in my hand. A young lady trying to palm me off with an old lady, I thought but said nothing. When she did find a “special” 80 baht one with a cockerel I had to turn it down as the “kai deuay” was RED! With the game against Arsenal coming up that night there was no way I was going to tempt fate with THEIR colors. “

This reminds me of when “ reverse engineering “ brand name goods for sale in local markets was restricted to a nice shiny pair of “ Roybans “ or some flashy “ Reebots “ . Although I was a proud owner of a “ Best of Crapton “ cd for many years.

Now it seems like anything goes for copying fashion goods, I’m constantly surprised by how many different spellings of Gucci they can come up with but, with some, artistic licence at first glance it appears to be a genuine copy [sic].

Last week while accompanying the gf through the musky aisles of an indoor market near Saraburi famous for its loose regulations on selling dodgy gear ( until plod visits occasionally ) I was amazed by the number of backpacks bearing an anagram of the brand Adidas !! and the Nine ( Nike ) apparel adorning every stall !!

But ,like Rooster , I was amused when I spotted a particularly nice looking light blue football shirt from afar only to see, when my eyes adjusted to the gloomy ambiance, that it proudly boasted a Man U badge in the usual spot. It almost made me want to buy it for the comedy factor but as a proud “ Dirty “ Leeds fan that would be sacrilege. 

• Like 1

Another great column this week Rooster! It was a pleasure to read, albeit for me as a non-native English speaker at some points a bit challenging to understand. I appreciate this level of writing, though, as it helps me to improve my vocabulary.

Regarding the Covid mess, I couldn't agree more to this:

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

As many on the forum rightfully pointed out, they should scrap the 14-day quarantine first! Instead, in jittery Thailand, it’s set to continue.

It's very likely that Thailand even when scrapping the quarantine would still stay a safe country. Not only very few foreigners would come right now anyway, but also for climatic, social and - as some scientists outside Thailand found out - probably even genetical reasons the risk for Thailand and its citizens would stay small.

How big the role of the climate is can easily be seen on the Northern hemisphere right now. The winter there with its wet and cold weather causes the numbers to explode now. As an example, back in August there were around 10 Covid deaths per day in Germany, which was less than the number of people killed in traffic per day, meaning that Covid was simply no issue anymore. But now, in winter time, there are around 500 deaths a day. 

Thailand never would experience such a mess, thanks to its hot climate. Scrapping quarantine and replacing it by testing of foreign visitors would still keep the risks very low, but would help the economy to recover.

In international news the UK was sticking out its collective chest as the first people were given the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

Kudos to the UK for that, and to the US as well! 

It's so annoying to see how unbelievable slow the bureaucratic EU acts now regarding the vaccine. They just announced that the agency in charge of approval will wait for the slowest EU-member, and will give an advise to the European Commission not before Dec. 29. Then, after the European Commission will be back to work next year after having finished their holidays, it hopefully will give its okay. Then eventually slow Europe might start to vaccinate its people around mid of January. Maybe. This will be around 6 weeks after the UK started. Suddenly thousands of daily deaths in the EU seem not to play a big role anymore for Europes bureaucrats. Strange. Annoying. Unethical!

I will ask for my personal shot as soon as possible, to be able to come back to Thailand as quickly as possible, and to support not only the Thai tourism industry, but other industries as well because I will come as a business traveller rather than a tourist. 

But a quarantine would be a big no-no.

Apropos last week’s comments in which Flying Saucage, in an excellent post, questioned my calling Thai students “those wretched leaders of tomorrow”. Rest assured this was intended to mean the elite’s perspective of the students, like having an unwelcome stone in one’s shoe. Rooster happens to be very proud of the actions of most Thai students in recent months.

Thanks Rooster for clarifying this. I read your sentences in your last weeks TWTW several times, and hardly could believe that I understood you correctly. Glad to know I misunderstood.

Looking forward to your next weeks column!

Edited by Flying Saucage

I am gobsmacked! Roosters effort was posted (it says)9 hours ago, one response then, the next 14 minutes ago, and one just in 12 minutes ago.  Normally there are at least many pages of responses before I could possibly chip in! Is he suddenly of so little interest, or is the delivery process falling apart? I have noticed my emails getting later and later, and have been putting it down to my server - maybe not.

That point made, thanks Rooster, another good read, and a couple of stories I had missed or glossed over.

I wonder what number this post will be when I finally push the t1t....

2 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I am gobsmacked! Roosters effort was posted (it says)9 hours ago, one response then, the next 14 minutes ago, and one just in 12 minutes ago.  Normally there are at least many pages of responses before I could possibly chip in! Is he suddenly of so little interest, or is the delivery process falling apart? I have noticed my emails getting later and later, and have been putting it down to my server - maybe not.

That point made, thanks Rooster, another good read, and a couple of stories I had missed or glossed over.

I wonder what number this post will be when I finally push the t1t....

Well noone else since, except flyingsaucage has edited his post while I was typing mine! Maybe the internet has gone down.........

Thanks Rooster ! ... Very good as always. ...

... So Yes it WAS an Excavator, not a back hoe. Backhoes look more like tractors with a small mechanical shovel on the back of them, ... Like he would have had to change seats ? Or stop and turn around pretty seriously, to operate the boom in a Backhoe ... ... 

Whereas in this pretty good looking excavator !!! ... Operate the Bucket and boom with the two 4 or 5 way leavers in front of you, looking like s Loonie ? well or an Excavator operator, on the job right …. and those booms are very LONG !!! When fully extended, ...... And just slew to get things as you rumble past ... without even having to stop !!! ... Using the peddles in front of you for that, and just great visibility !!! .... So lots of Destruction WOULD have been Very easy !!!   ... ...   

Interesting ... it must have been pretty hard to shoot out it's Engine I would say ! ...  Like those things are built Tough !!! ... Possibly one  of the Plods knew about excavators ? So knew where to shoot !!! ??? 

... …  Memories of my younger days in the Mining camps cross my mind, ... Drunken stories about … "When I almost managed to get this steam Roller going one night when I was Really Pxxxx on my way home from the pub !!! ... …. Or when the Slave, drove the huge forklift, all the way back up the decline, at Agnew (?) was it ?  …  and tipped the boys donger over on to it's side, … Just for a little Morning Joke !!! ??? ... Etc. ... Har Har ... 

Yearrr, "Corrie" ! …  I remember that, as like most other Good English stuff, … it made it over to Australia way, …  WAY back when I was a kid !!! ... . Though I also remember feeling that it was Obviously much … MUCH older than me also, … and it was quite obviously not  “MY People” either !!!  .... So I never watched it ...  ( Tough being now a GOOD Bangkoker, ? … I always watched Minder !!! Right !) …

But I DID do Dr. Who, and well the Story of them putting the first epode of that On was it ? the BBC (?) I think, …. Well that story, is a pretty great one also !!! ... …  Like it had the Darlecs in it, just created by people that the rest of the BBC ? establishment thought were just plane Mad !!! …. And well right back at that time, NO one really had Any idea whether such Silliness would ever even get one viewer I think ??? ... … 

But well like any Story of Greatness ... It got a bad slot, in competition with something else, just way WAY more ritchous and sensible !!! … …. But, it just took Off Greatly !!!  Way WAY off … right from that first episode !!! … and beat all of it’s competition, … DEAD !!! …. Like did you see any of them … those first episodes, with the Darleks, … rumbling around over obvious flimsy, Chip board flooring that used to bend, Shake, and vibrate, as they rumbled past !!! Har Har ...  as the other scenery, just as Flimsy almost seemed to be falling down !!! Har har …

… Like I think that their first Budget, was, ... Not very much at all from memory.    Like from a Record Low Budget, with a LOT of negative angst around it, … Nearly pulled !!! !!! ... And then it became probably ? the most successful Science fiction show ? (Spoof ?) ever ??? …. And most certainly the first ever, syndicated on TV !!!

• Like 1

re the football team masks and the red of Arsenal ,I turned on theArsenal  EUFA Cup tie against poor old Dundalk ,part timers and basic wage earners who managed to make it to the group stages and pocketed €3mil for their efforts and were of course in last place. without a win , and I was horrified to see Arsenal decked out in Royal Blue ! I almost choked oh my Clonakilty Sausage ! 

I have not got out much since March 17 so I have not had the flaccid nightlife experience you had, Roo. I certainly had some memorable times there, as have most of us.

But I do enjoy a good feed of veg Indian. Indian food is not so cheap in the capital so I pick & choose before indulging any urge to splurging. I had to be in Pratunam one afternoon.

There are several Indian joints in a strip opposite the Indra Regent Hotel’s Indra Arcade. No cars on the way to Baiyoke. Most doors were chained. One that had an open door had a few sleepy waitresses.

I finally found one open across the main road. I was, of course, the only customer but they seemed to be doing some takeout trade.

The waitress who had seem so desultory became animated when telling me her story. She had arrived from Burma with her brother for work. The Indian owner had supported them for nine years. She was never laid off work and had a regular paycheque.

After I finished and walked away, I realised I had not left her a tip. I walked two blocks back to drop in 100 baht. Her smile made my day. Many are less fortunate.

Meanwhile, my Irish neighbour, a self-employed realtor, has lots of inventory but no one to buy.

Many of the Octobrists of the past were pardoned and put in government. No doubt many of our current crop of brave students will share the same fate.

Although Thailand Pharmaceutical Organisation has received a licence to manufacture the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine, I find myself wondering if any of the ultracold mRNA vaccines will be available here. And what the prices will be.

All in all, I’m happy with a June rollout so we can see how it sticks to the rest of the world.

Great read as always, Roo.

On 12/13/2020 at 8:14 AM, rooster59 said:

It seemed appropriate that in a brilliant typo the newsletter went out with the heading: “Auntie dismisses rumor of epidemic”.

All well and good that you noticed this slight Faux Pas Rooster, perhaps you could ask your chums at TVF why my post commenting on the very same subject was removed most unceremoniously without a word, I look forward to hearing from you ???????????? PS: Not a slur on the mods by the way ????????