Q? for IT nerds

jomtienisgood

58 minutes ago, NilSS said:

It's not a stupid question. A lot of people scratching their heads and wondering why they need 5G and the reason is that you almost certainly don't.

Agreed. 4G is more than sufficient for streaming videos in HD, listening to music and going about your daily business. 5G has not really taken off yet, and tests taken in the US and UK show that 5G speeds are slower than our current 4G.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/09/08/5g-speed/

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54574320

5 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

are all our laptop / computers / phones i.e. processors, WiFi-cards and so on up to it. 

No. Only the iPhone 12 (out of all iPhones) can use 5G

Some newer smartphones using Android/Huawei can use 5G - but not a lot of them right now.

Laptops, computers, wifi cards and processors are different technologies. 5G means 5th generation of mobile data, not to be confused with 5g on your wifi modem - which stands for 5ghz (a frequency). As 5G is to cellular, Wi-Fi 6 (or 802.11ax) is the most recent standard for wireless network transmission — and like 5G, it promises to be faster, broader and smarter than previous generations.

That being said, there are some computers, laptops and processors (snapdragon is processor being talked about now) that are embedding 5G technology into their products. These will be geared towards elite gamers, and business people who edit large video files to decrease latency and lag. There is also the potential for storage improvements using a 5G network. These products are not available yet, and probably won't be available for the mass consumer market for quite some time.

It's worth noting that when 4G came along, people initially thought that wifi would become obsolete - this just never happened. With an ever expanding population, increased connectivity and inevitable wavelength congestion, there doesn't seem to be much point throwing all of your eggs in one, unproven pot. 

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

There are TWO 5Gs. Fifth Generation mobile phone network, and 5G (Hz) WiFi signals. They are completely different things.

Yes they are completely different things, especially because they have a different name.

There is 5G mobile network, and 5Ghz wireless network.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Yes they are completely different things, especially because they have a different name.

There is 5G mobile network, and 5Ghz wireless network.

Agreed, but it seems the OP and many other people get them mixed up, because they both have a number 5 and a G in their names. 

2 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Laptops, computers, wifi cards and processors are different technologies. 5G means 5th generation of mobile data, not to be confused with 5g on your wifi modem - which stands for 5ghz (a frequency).

Didn't I say this 7 hours ago? And it is 5 G hz, not 5ghz.

2 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Agreed. 4G is more than sufficient for streaming videos in HD, listening to music and going about your daily business.

I wouldn't even say you need 4G for that. 3G is more than sufficient for 99% (made up figure) of people. 3G gives you 21.6 Mbit/s for HSPA+, faster than that on some networks, who needs it on a phone? No one.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I wouldn't even say you need 4G for that. 3G is more than sufficient for 99% (made up figure) of people. 3G gives you 21.6 Mbit/s for HSPA+, faster than that on some networks, who needs it on a phone? No one.

Plenty of people use their phone as a small computer.

2 minutes ago, NilSS said:

Even if you have a 4K screen on your phone, you'll struggle to saturate a 10 Megabit connection even on Netflix.

I thought that a 4K Netflix stream needs 25 Megabit, at least that is what Netflix recommend.

Because you connect to a Netflix 4K stream, doesn't mean you get 4K, because Netflix adjust the resolution of the stream to your actual internet speed.

You said it yourself, it's a recommendation. In reality, even at optimal quality settings, frame rate and with HDR, you using much less than that. Trust me, you are. (FYI Netflix caps out at around 16 Mbps, but anyone that thinks they can tell the difference between 16 Mbps and 10 Mbps when watching on a phone is delusional. I can't even tell the difference on my 55 inch Bravia).

BBC iPlayer for example, absolute maximum stream rate is 5 Mbps for HD content. If you watch it in a browser, you're using DASH codec, which will adapt, but if you watch it with KODI (for example), default codec is HLS and you can hardcode the stream rate at 5 Mbps. I spent 13 years since the iPlayer was launched figuring out ways to make it work well for me in Thailand. No one in Thailand knows more about the iPlayer than me, I guarantee it ????

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1