Lodged police complaint of theft, what's next step?

akda

Housekeeping lady stole mine parcel from lobby. Its clearly visible on CCTV that she is taking that parcel. Condo jurisdiction turned blind eye and they are not taking any action against her. 

so questions are

1. First I complaint to condo jurisdiction but they took it very lightly. Instead of taking any action they are protecting the  theif. Did you face similar treatment with your condo jurisdiction?

2. Later that day I lodged police complaint. Police took all details and gave a complaint copy.

But its been two days and am not sure what's next step? Do I need to visit police station again? Or they will contact me?

Any similar experience. Pls share. 

Edited by akda
  • Haha 1

Did you provide the CCTV footage to the police? 

According to the Criminal Code of Thailand "whoever dishonestly takes away any thing that belongs to another person shall be imprisoned for three years and shall pay a fine of 6,000 Baht". 

However unless the content of the package was of substantial value, I would be surprised if anything actually did happen. The correct course of action, IMO, would be either you or juristic called the lady and asked her to return it! I've had two people take my parcels by mistake in the past, one of them realized and brought it back to my door, another hadn't even opened it yet when the security guard(after asking condo's juristic to review CCTV) told them about it! I am completely sure on both cases it was a mistake and they wholeheartedly apologized!

Edited by ctxa
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ctxa said:

Did you provide the CCTV footage to the police? 

According to the Criminal Code of Thailand "whoever dishonestly takes away any thing that belongs to another person shall be imprisoned for three years and shall pay a fine of 6,000 Baht". 

However unless the content of the package was of substantial value, I would be surprised if anything actually did happen. The correct course of action, IMO, would be either you or juristic called the lady and asked her to return it! I've had two people take my parcels by mistake in the past, one of them realized and brought it back to my door, another hadn't even opened it yet when the security guard(after asking condo's juristic to review CCTV) told them about it! I am completely sure on both cases it was a mistake and they wholeheartedly apologized!

CCTV footage was shared with police.

At condo, She was called and confronted for the theft. She do not accept stealing item. While CCTV says otherwise. In CCTV one can clearly see her taking parcel away. 

So this is clear case of stealing not mistake.

9 minutes ago, akda said:

CCTV footage was shared with police.

At condo, She was called and confronted for the theft. She do not accept stealing item. While CCTV says otherwise. In CCTV one can clearly see her taking parcel away. 

So this is clear case of stealing not mistake.

In this case the police should summon both you and the lady in question for “drinking tea” at the police station with them. (AKA negotiating). And from the result of that negotiation you should decide what further action to take.

I am almost sure the police will treat it first as some sort of civil dispute and will try to mediate between you two themselves. Which may be enough to scare the lady into giving it back as if you were up to taking this case to court she could very easily end up in jail! (Of course you would have to spend perhaps 2000x the value of the item to take all of this to court, hire a lawyer, etc etc... but it’s also a possibility)

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ctxa said:

In this case the police should summon both you and the lady in question for “drinking tea” at the police station with them. (AKA negotiating). And from the result of that negotiation you should decide what further action to take.

I am almost sure the police will treat it first as some sort of civil dispute and will try to mediate between you two themselves. Which may be enough to scare the lady into giving it back as if you were up to taking this case to court she could very easily end up in jail! (Of course you would have to spend perhaps 2000x the value of the item to take all of this to court, hire a lawyer, etc etc... but it’s also a possibility)

Thanks for your informative and helpful replies. Have a good day.

34 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

From the cctv could you see your name on the parcel? If not, how do you know it was your parcel she took?

The Lobby of a Condo building usually has staff who would accept record such deliveries and then amend the record once the recipient has collected their package. 

Obviously someone at the condo also got involved because they looked at CCTV to trace where the package had disappeared to. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Lobby of a Condo building usually has staff who would accept record such deliveries and then amend the record once the recipient has collected their package. 

Obviously someone at the condo also got involved because they looked at CCTV to trace where the package had disappeared to. 

That's interesting, but my question is for the OP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

That's interesting, but my question is for the OP.

You think the Op made up the story?

Or are you genuinely interested in the concept of parcel delivery to condos. 

Are you looking for a cctv system which has such resolution it can read names on packages? 

The nature of your question lends one to suspect you are trying to pick holes rather than offer help. 

So when the Op replies because the front desk staff told him it was his parcel but now it’s gone, are you going to question that too or just accept it on faith and a little common sense ? 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Yes I always use COD as I have previously had numerous deliveries dropped off wherever it has suited the driver!!

where do you live ? Never had this problem not once. Never use COD its a hassle.  Often things outside the cities are worse then in BKK for instance.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

Make sure you have filed a complaint to start prosecuting with the police. 

There'are also police report where you go and tell them with what happened and they give you a written up piece of paper with details on, usually used for reporting lost documents and such. If you only filed a 'police report' nothing will come of it

I didn't see anything about the contents of the package. I'm presuming the the housekeeper\cleaner works for the condo management or someone else in the building and not you. I also didn't see you note that she saw the video and denied it was her or had some her excuse.   If it were me I think I would make it known to her that the package is important to you and that you are  interested in retrieving the package and that if the package is returned by a certain date and time, (1 or 2 days at most)  that you will consider not pressing charges. I would also make it know you will not be at home during a certain time to allow the package to be left at your door without having to see you and no questions will be asked if it is returned.  If the package isn't returned within that time you will pursue it farther with the police, the condo management and her employer if she is a private housekeeper as you have a video of the incident. It may or may not prompt her to drop off the package in this way and allow her to not losing face.  I definitely would put all parties on notice about her and what happened  and that you expect action certainly from the building, employer and police .  While their are defamation issues in Thailand even when a crime is committed I'm sure she doesnt have the funds to pursue defamation.  The police may come thru for you separately but Im sure there is no rush on their part as it's not a high crime from there point of view. If that approach works, then whatever you do afterward is up to you but Im sure she can't afford to lose her job over a package. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

From the cctv could you see your name on the parcel? If not, how do you know it was your parcel she took?

I had to call my agent, together we found about it. One can clearly see that maid is talking parcel away in 3 cameras. Jurisdiction agrees that she is culprit.  Still trying to protecting her. And refuse to take any kind of action against her.

2 minutes ago, akda said:

I had to call my agent, together we found about it. One can clearly see that maid is talking parcel away in 3 cameras. Jurisdiction agrees that she is culprit.  Still trying to protecting her. And refuse to take any kind of action against her.

I asked the question because I'm hoping you are 100% positive who took the parcel. Accusing someone without proof can be very dangerous here as anywhere. 

And if you are positive, then you have a bigger problem at your condo in that there are more than one involved.

Proceed with caution.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reality is you do not want this woman any near your property where she can steel from you again and your neighbours. 

This is not the first time she has stolen something, it's just the first time (that you are aware of) she has been caught doing so. 

Keep pushing the issue: Do you know where to find this lady, do you have her ID and any home address?

The police are openly apathetic, their standard response will be to do nothing unless forced to do so either by a ’senior’ Thai, through embarrassment or financial incentive. 

Your choices are varied:

- What is the value of the item?

- Can you waive the issue (low cost) and not worry about getting the item?

- Do you need the item, its either high value to you or high cost?

- Involve other residents ensure this committee releases the cleaning lady.

- Can you move, I don’t like to ‘run away from issues’ but if the Condo Committee are this useless, there will be other issues in future.

- Are you the owner or a tenant? if a tenant, get the landlord involved. If the owner, demand more action from the condo committee and threaten legal and social media action against them. 

- Alert the other tenants, share the video (or at least print a screen shot and post it in peoples mail boxes).

------------

Similar experiences: Not with theft, a security guard got drunk and knocked on the door of a friends house (while my friend was out), the security guard asked his wife if he could come in to the house (turns out drinking was a regular thing amongst a few of the security guards).

My friend turned this into a major issue, threatened legal action and demanded a commensurate response, his wife was frightened and concerned about living there. The security for the whole moo-ban was changed out within the week. The housing company handled the situation very professionally. 

This type of answers make this forum useful.

Everyone interested in price of item its around 5.5k+

I am tenant. Landlord lives abroad and no direct communication. Agent handle everything.

Gonna move once contract expires.

Altering others and gaining support is a good idea.

If this happened in the US, the police would tell you that they don't have time to investigate this and why don't I contact the merchant, make a claim and have them send another one.

Property managers would probably not get involved either.

You were lucky the condo even provided you access to video.  They could have refused even that.

Maybe this cleaner is somebody's auntie at the condo?

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A comical response borne on a barstool !!!....  absolute rubbish. 

No barstool because I don't drink. However, I DO have experience with trying to deal with the Thai Gods through the legal system. A complete waste of time and money.

24 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

If this happened in the US, the police would tell you that they don't have time to investigate this and why don't I contact the merchant, make a claim and have them send another one.

Property managers would probably not get involved either.

You were lucky the condo even provided you access to video.  They could have refused even that.

Maybe this cleaner is somebody's auntie at the condo?

Perhaps. In the UK I suspect the issue would be ignored, burglaries often go uninvestigated because the property is insured and even those under suspicion can’t be accused without some form of proof. 

In this case there is damning proof and the police can easily take action if ‘encouraged to do so’.

IF the Op wants the Police to deal with this seriously, he needs to attend the station with a ’senior / well respected Thai’ or he himself is senior and well respected. 

The main issue I see, is not that there was a petty theft, but the Condo committee are also being lazy trying to ignore the issue - the only response the Op has is to make the issue bigger. Tell the condo committee he has filed a police report and will follow up. The Package needs to be returned and the woman fired - she cannot be around any further property of others, she is a thief. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

No barstool because I don't drink. However, I DO have experience with trying to deal with the Thai Gods through the legal system. A complete waste of time and money.

Others will contradict you and argue time and money well spent. It depends on your case. 

I know people who have won labor disputes, divorce proceedings, child custody, property disputes, tax disputes.

In this case however, I do agree that any followup with a lawyer is neither time or cost effective - its a petty theft issue and usually, in Thailand, if incentivised with evidence the police would charge the culprit directly without the need for lawyers and courts. 

Thus: the comment you made that [Never pursue legal charges against a member of the Holy Thai Race. You will lose] - is not true. It's only true that ‘you lost’ and are now projecting your experience on everyone else.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is not the first time she has stolen something, it's just the first time (that you are aware of) she has been caught doing so. 

"This is not the first time she has stolen something..."

Where did you get that information from?

25 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

"This is not the first time she has stolen something..."

Where did you get that information from?

He guessed it right. 

The lady was in front of me. There was no sign of fear even after she is seeing herself in CCTV taking away the item. 

She was unapologetic and blunt.

Looks like .. She have good support from someone in jurisdiction.

Edited by akda
  • Like 1