Environment minister speaks up for marine life against selfie taking foreign divers

webfact

Environment minister speaks up for marine life against selfie taking foreign divers

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thailand's minister of natural resources and the environment wants the full force of the law to be taken against people who tamper with marine creatures. 

Varawut Silpa-Archa said that people have a right to apply for justice but marine life does not have a voice. He said it is up to people to stand up for them otherwise they won't be present in Thai waters anymore.

Varawut was speaking as the case against two divers in Koh Phangan dragged on. 

Back at the end of August Attila Ott, a Hungarian videographer and diver, and Francesco Simonetti, an Italian diver, took selfies disturbing sea creatures off Koh Phangan. Thai media reported they poked at slumbering fish to rouse them.

Immigration arrested both men on September 1st and removed their right to stay in Thailand. 

After they were both fined 10,000 baht and in mid September they were taken to immigration detention in Bangkok. 

1pm2.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Attila confirmed shortly after to Thaivisa that he had left Thailand where he had been resident with a Thai wife for seven years. 

But Francesco has fought on, posting 50,000 baht bail. He has appealed his deportation order and an immigration committee is considering his appeal. 

But the Italian is friendless in high places. Indeed it was as a direct result of ministerial action that both men found themselves in so much trouble in the first place. 

Minister Varawut took exception to their antics at the time and demanded action. Now as the Italian's appeal drags on he has called for an appropriate and just result according to the law. 

In the minister's mind that appears to be deportation after his defence of marine life comments. 

Critics of the Thai reaction in the case said that though the men were stupid in their actions, endangered species were not affected only things like ubiquitous sea slugs and the Thai reaction was over the top.

Some also claimed online that it was one rule for the Thais and one for foreigners. 

The governor of Surat Thani province Wichawut Jinto has called for the case to be speeded up as it is an important environmental matter. 

While Sophon Thongdee of the department of marine and coastal resources has defended their handling of the case.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-15

• Sad 1

For context, Mr. Silpa-Archa is the son of former Thai PM and construction billionaire Banharn 'slippery eel' Silpa-Archa.

Not defending his actions, but as the foreigner is an expat and had been married for seven years to a Thai, the deportation order does seem a little draconian. 

I guess another warning that as foreigners, we're all only temporarily here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Wonder as the 'environment guy' he could do something about air quality?

Hm,...That would be working (really doing something) instead of talking nonsense to journalists from a comfy chair !!!,...T.I.T.

• Like 1

Hm,..While doing a diving course on Koh Chang some years ago. I saw Thai tourist boats drop there anchors on beautiful coral every day, and tourists walk on corals as well !!!,....there was no environment minister around then !!!

DSC_5245.JPG

DSC_5242.JPG

DSC_5251.JPG

• Like 1

This story does reflect badly on Thailand as these two guys neither had no intention to do any harm to wildlife, nor did they. There were obvious intent from the beginning to criminalize and making an example out of them because they were foreigners. 

• Like 2

Varawut Silpa-Archa said that people have a right to apply for justice but marine life does not have a voice. He said it is up to people to stand up for them otherwise they won't be present in Thai waters anymore.

Yes clamp down on those silly selfies....

Meanwhile continue dumping raw sewage into ocean in Phuket & Pattaya no prob right?

2.jpeg

1259-n5wastewater.jpg

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

Varawut looks like a mean, petty little mo-fo.  40+ years ago when I was a Peace Corp Volunteer, I had a Thai boss at the Dept. of Land Development who was a complete jerk.  Did virtually nothing, let his brother-in-law live for a time in the government housing.  He even seriously threatened to kill one of the lowly workers, though I don't know exactly why.  This guy cashiered my chance of re-upping at another location because I didn't kiss his butt.  He also didn't like the fact that I married a Thai born gal of Vietnamese ancestry. 

• Like 1

What a pity this minister does not really take due interest in cleaning up the marine environment and punishing "Thais" who are mostly responsible for the appalling state of Thailand's coastline , beaches, rivers and seas .

The Klong here at Na Jomtien used to be one of beauty and attractive when the Yacht Club and luxury properties were built , but now look at it ! It has has become a dumping ground for disposing of wrecks / abandoned marine craft ,  full of polluted water but still ,luckily , has some marine wildlife .  Astoundingly they applied to build a waster water treatment plant right on on our doorstep ( so far didn't get approved by EEA or residents )  . Harbour Masters bear responsibility for their local waters .   

On 12/15/2020 at 8:11 AM, webfact said:

it is an important environmental matter. 

It is, almost as important as all the rubbish, straws, plastic bags, bottles, styrofoam containers, etc. being dumped daily on streets, in waterways and the sea by the locals. We can argue a long time about why that is; is it because there aren't enough rubbish bins placed on the streets or is it because Somchai doesn't give a rat's <deleted> about the environment. 

• Like 1

One more nail in Lielands tourism coffin.

Combined with the trip adviser over reaction debacle, they are pushing large numbers of repeat and prospective tourists away from the center of the universe.

Well done yet again

• Like 2