Door knobs at quarantine facility suspected as source of infections among Thai medics

snoop1130

Not only door knobs.

Cupboard door handles, drawer handles, light switches, remote controls - the lot.

We have been cleaning these in private villas since the pandemic started.

In quarantine, room service items. Trays, cutlery, crockery etc. All can be contaminated.

The sad dilema - if guests catch covid in quarantine, the hotel makes even more money!!! Coincidence???

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not only door knobs.

Cupboard door handles, drawer handles, light switches, remote controls - the lot.

In quarantine, room service items. Trays, cutlery, crockery etc. All can be contaminated.

The sad dilema - if guests catch covid in quarantine, the hotel makes even more money!!! Coincidence???

Toilet seats? Might as well through them in there. 

14 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I didnt realise that touching knobs can cause an infection .

Can I safely touch my own knob ?

If not, How am I supposed to open my door ?

Just google for "Türklinke" and forget about these silly knobs. The worst invention ever. Just open the door with your elbow. By the way, a sample is shown in the title picture.

Edited by hkt83100
Add hint to picture.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not only door knobs.

ATMs and elevator buttons are obvious superspreaders. Perhaps people could wear rings to push public buttons. After handling money it's also a good idea to wash hands.

9 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

The first thing that should be sanitised daily are handles of any rooms used, this is not rocket science, a child could have worked this out

Most health authorities agree that surface spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus is deminimus...it's an airborne respiratory virus. It's much more productive to focus on air filtration efforts and room airflow rather than excessive surface sanitation theatre.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, placnx said:

ATMs and elevator buttons are obvious superspreaders. Perhaps people could wear rings to push public buttons. After handling money it's also a good idea to wash hands.

Or maybe they could just wash their hands after being in a public place or as you say after handling money or any foreign objects.

44 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Why the need for gloves...the virus isn't absorbed through the skin.

Because people touch their faces with their hands...much more often than they realize.

Respiratory illness spread via the hands is in fact very, very common. Hence the importance hand washing as a preventive measure.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/why-handwashing.html

Of course gloves are only useful if they are discarded soon after and before any touching of one's face.

I don't really worry about touching money etc given how little COVID is about in Thailand. But I would worry a bit in an ASQ facility.  If I end up having to do quarantine I plan immediately on arrival to put on gloves, wipe down all knobs, water taps, light switches and the like with alcohol and then discard the gloves having been careful not to touch my face in the meantime.

• Like 2

What a load of Tosh.

The Report should be saying that the Sanitizing Staff and Medics were either not following their instructions to wear Gloves at all times, or were just plain Stupid.

Again another ' Leak " about the lax standards in ASQ, and State Quarantine Facilities.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I don't really worry about touching money etc given how little COVID is about in Thailand. But I would worry a bit in an ASQ facility.  If I end up having to do quarantine I plan immediately on arrival to put on gloves, wipe down all knobs, water taps, light switches and the like with alcohol and then discard the gloves having been careful not to touch my face in the meantime.

Why would you even have to do these things ?

You are paying a huge amount of Money for this to be done, and done correctly. 

13 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Why would you even have to do these things ?

You are paying a huge amount of Money for this to be done, and done correctly. 

yes, well.....

Personally I would not want to risk COVID on a matter of principle like that. Fact is, there have clearly been cases of people getting infected in ASQ facilities.

One is certainly at more risk there (and on flights to Thailand, especially if containing returning Thais) than one is living in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

No one should trust that door handle is safe. A cleaner could sanitize it and 5 minutes later someone could have infected it again.

You need to take responsibility for your own Safety. sanitize your hands after touching potentially contaminated item like a door handle, tap or a shopping basket/trolley. Or learn not to use your hands in the same way.

If you need some help watch this.

Edited by Muzzique

So medics aren’t wearing gloves ? My main concern is the cleaners . Are the cleaners basically wandering from room to room throughout the hotels cleaning with the same cloths , mops etc in every room and what ppe are the cleaners wearing ?? Because I bet hotels aren’t employing one cleaner per room and more than likely aren’t even designating a set group to a set floor . ( although they would all be using the same lift I bet ) ????

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Because people touch their faces with their hands...much more often than they realize.

And of course wearing gloves does nothing to prevent this.

Respiratory illness spread via the hands is in fact very, very common. Hence the importance hand washing as a preventive measure.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/why-handwashing.html

Completely agree...frequent hand washing is the best hygiene measure to rid hands of the virus...even better than alcohol sprays and gels.

Of course gloves are only useful if they are discarded soon after and before any touching of one's face.

And if removed and disposed of properly I might add. But how about not getting a false sense of security by using them, contributing unnecessarily to more plastic waste, and just remember to wash one's hands frequently when out in public. This helps prevent all sorts of nasties from the common cold, the flu, and bacteria caused stomach ailments ????

I did this during a few staycations in Bangkok way at the start of the pandemic, when no one was really sure how the virus was spread or how lethal it was. Almost a year on, we know much more about it and how to prevent its spread. I've been back up to Bangkok twice in the past month and didn't bother wiping down anything...I'm still here. I'm off to Phuket for Christmas week and will be doing the same ????

6 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

So medics aren’t wearing gloves ? My main concern is the cleaners . Are the cleaners basically wandering from room to room throughout the hotels cleaning with the same cloths , mops etc in every room and what ppe are the cleaners wearing ?? Because I bet hotels aren’t employing one cleaner per room and more than likely aren’t even designating a set group to a set floor . ( although they would all be using the same lift I bet ) ????

Our definition of " Clean ", is very, very different than the definition of Clean that Thais would be using.

Just a single walk down any Street where Food is sold off a Cart will tell you this.

• Like 1