With 576 new Covid-19 cases, Thailand sees highest single-day spike

20 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Not even the US being the richest country in the world, with the latest and best equipment on earth can keep illegals from crossing the border with Mexico... 

How you think the Thai Army is gonna capture every single one who tries to illegally cross their thousands of kms of border? They may increase surveilance, even capture most people but not all of them!

Yes,  but at least make an effort !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

The Oxford vaccine costs £3 per shot on a strictly not for profit basis during the pandemic so expect to pay 5000-6000 baht for the syringe on top ????  

I expect western foreigners will need to pay a lot but they should pay the locals to take it. It would be a good investment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The reason there are so many cases in Thailand due to migrants crossing illegally is more than likely due to the daft Army stealing all the barbed wire from the borders to put it around Bangkok train stations and in the bangkok streets to stop 16 year old students waving fingers in the air.

I think I heard an echo from your post...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I expect western foreigners will need to pay a lot but they should pay the locals to take it. It would be a good investment. 

Thais and neighboring Asian migrant workers make up the vast majority of the population...Western foreigners probably make up far less than 1%, and even throwing in all resident foreigners it's surely less than 5%. As herd immunity kicks in at 70-90% supposedly, there's really no reason for resident foreigners to be vaccinated at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

This just in for those of you also from the US. The alerts@bkk just sent this out. 

Event:  COVID-19 outbreak in Samut Sakhon.  Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health has announced an outbreak of COVID-19 cases originating in Samut Sakhon province.  As of December 19, the number of confirmed cases was 538.  Isolated cases related to the outbreak have been reported in Bangkok.  Police checkpoints have been set up in Samut Sakhon to monitor and control vehicle traffic to and from the province, and a daily curfew from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am has been announced.  U.S. citizens should avoid travel to Samut Sakhon until the scope of the outbreak can be determined.  Travelers should consider alternate routes if traveling between Bangkok and destinations south of Samut Sakhon, such as Hua Hin.  Travelers who have visited Samut Sakhon since December 6, particularly the local seafood markets, are encouraged to monitor their health and seek medical assistance if symptoms are observed.  All U.S. citizens are urged to continue COVID-19 precautions including the use of masks and social distancing. 

Actions to Take: 

• Monitor local media and our Embassy website for updates; 
  • Check your email regularly for further alerts; 
  • Avoid travel to Samut Sakhon province; 
  • Use alternate routes if traveling between provinces around Samut Sakhon; 
  • Continue COVID-19 precautions, including mask use and social distancing.  

Assistance: 

U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

American Citizens Services

Telephone: +66 2 205 4049

+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)

Email: [email protected]

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

of whom 806 are in hospital

If that number is accurate, I think that's quite an increase from the same number from recent months. I'm always watching the "hospitalized" number since that's a pretty important stat for Thailand, and I wanna say it got down to around 200 or so at various points in recent months. So 800+ now strikes me as a considerable climb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If that number is accurate, I think that's quite an increase from the same number from recent months. I'm always watching the "hospitalized" number since that's a pretty important stat for Thailand, and I wanna say it got down to around 200 or so at various points in recent months. So 800+ now strikes me as a considerable climb.

Even if your asymptomatic they hospitalize you here in Thailand.  Placed into Isolation unit until you test negative, regardless if you you need any medical attention.  Cost is between 200k and 300k for a 14 day stint there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Even if your asymptomatic they hospitalize you here in Thailand

That is correct. Being asymptomatic means that you positively have the virus and are contageous, but you personally do not show symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Even if your asymptomatic they hospitalize you here in Thailand.  Placed into Isolation unit until you test negative, regardless if you you need any medical attention.  Cost is between 200k and 300k for a 14 day stint there.

Do you have any citations for this statement? The 14 day ASQ for tourists starts at B 35k...I hardly think if placed in a hospital setting for observation (asymptomatic), a bit of food, and a few virus tests along the way the cost is 10x. I spend about 10 days in a private hospital for an emergency procedure and the private room, doctor, surgeon, nursing,drugs and supplies (including days of expensive intravenous feeding) was less than 200k.  

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bodga said:

on second thoughts

it  may  kill  off those  old dinosauruses as the Wife  calls  them

I'll drink to that mate..

Wait a minute, can I even HAVE a drink yet by law?

Oh sod it, wheres the cans...

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That is correct. Being asymptomatic means that you positively have the virus and are contageous, but you personally do not show symptoms.

A properly managed and supervised hotel quarantine would suffice...as 80%+ will resolve on their own (in most countries it's just home quarantine).  If and when symptoms warrant, the 15-20% that require hospitalization can be sent to one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Do you have any citations for this statement? The 14 day ASQ for tourists starts at B 35k...I hardly think if placed in a hospital setting for observation (asymptomatic), a bit of food, and a few virus tests along the way the cost is 10x. I spend about 10 days in a private hospital for an emergency procedure and the private room, doctor, surgeon, nursing,drugs and supplies (including days of expensive intravenous feeding) was less than 200k.  

Better watch out.  Certain people will come rushing in to tell you that it’s impossible to get affordable healthcare and regale you with (unsupportable) stories about how a friend of their wife’s father’s second cousins son spent a week in a shared room at over a million baht.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Came straight from my HI agent whose company has had to pay out for several clients who tested positive but were asymptomatic in quarantine and were moved to a Hospital isolation unit where they were held unti they tested negative.  Additionally, it was explained to me what the costs have been, as well as the government sending asymptomatic people to the units to be observed instead of being allowed to self quarantine at home.  The cost is because of the need for many nurses and doctors to observe the patients and the wearing of the PPE gear they use that can not be re-used.  Staffing fees for a hospital are different then in an ASQ.

Oh I see, the govt and hospitals are colluding to make it a money maker. As I posted about, in all other countries I know of, asymptomatic cases are advised to quarantine at home until/unless serious symptoms appear (high temperature/difficulty breathing) and then go to a hospital. Silly me, forgot we're discussing Thailand. A few coutries have also setup live-in centers for asymptomatic people to stay until the virus has passed...again at no to low cost to the individual. But again, no money in that.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Better watch out.  Certain people will come rushing in to tell you that it’s impossible to get affordable healthcare and regale you with (unsupportable) stories about how a friend of their wife’s father’s second cousins son spent a week in a shared room at over a million baht.

No...that 200k...DOLLARS...would have been in a US hospital back home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

My sources (American researchers) said this is a new virus varient...not strain, which is an important distinction in virology apparently, and that the UK government is completely mishandling it (overreacting)...no surprise there.

My sources say your sources are not their sources.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

My sources say your sources are not their sources.

Apparently not...but my sources can beat up your sources ????????????

But given the Boris government making a complete hash of their initial handling of the virus pandemic, it's not surprising seeing them trying to over-compensate by going too far the other way now.

• Haha 1