UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

1 hour ago, david555 said:

( Anyone with Spanish Hacienda  here ...? it seems the Spanish take also controle of their country ...   ???? )

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/1381261/brexit-news-property-abroad-spain-holiday-homes-tax-EU-country-Europe

Brexit property: Britons with Spanish holiday homes dealt unexpected tax bill
BRITONS with holiday homes in Spain now face higher tax bills after the UK left the European Union (EU), according to a leading tax firm.

By MILLIE BULL
PUBLISHED: 07:01, Sat, Jan 9, 2021 | UPDATED: 07:34, Sat, Jan 9, 2021

The UK officially left the EU on December 31, bringing the lengthy transition period to an end. Homeowners with property abroad were undoubtedly concerned that the UK’s departure from the EU could have an impact on how they pay taxes and purchase property abroad. One concern was whether property taxes for Britons or non-EU owners in European countries could be increased.

And this could be the case according to a leading tax advisory firm. Partner at leading tax advisory firm Blick Rothenberg, Robert Pullen explained that from January 1, UK owners with property in Spain could suffer bigger tax rate on income. He said: “From January 1, 2021, UK-based owners of Spanish real estate will suffer a 24 percent tax rate on income, after the previous 19 percent tax rate expired when the transition period ended on December 31. “This is a swingeing increase of over a quarter.”

Mr Pullen said this is due to the fact the UK is now seen as a non-EU country. However, a higher tax rate is not the only aspect Britons may have to contend with. According to Mr Pullen, the Spanish tax authorities will no longer allow any expenses to be deducted which means gross income will be taxed. “This could be a huge increase, disproportionate to any real profit made,” he added.

So what Dave, one of the risks of residing in another country, the tax thing could happen even without Brexit if a country wanted to impose it........:cowboy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Belgium after Brexit: How the change will affect popular exports

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-55592161

"These plant, beer and chocolate businesses say higher prices and less choice are on the cards as they grapple with the post-Brexit changes."

Yes, higher prices and less choice for the Brits.

Of course exporters on both sides are not happy.

11 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

A warning to bankers about life in Paris

I'm a banker who works for a leading French bank in Paris. I've have been here for over a decade and I feel it is my duty to warn London bankers who think Paris is a dream world of chansons and baguettes that life here is not like that. Personally, I would do almost anything to get out.

When bankers talk about Paris, they complain about taxes. I'm a banker in Paris, but taxes are only one of my many problems here.

France has done a wonderful job of marketing itself. Paris lives off the nostalgic glow of what it was like in the past, but today's Paris is a place of serious social strife with terrible transport links and dreadful pay. There is a lack of social stability which is encouraging educated people to get out. It's not just me. - Survey of professionals in Paris have found that 84% of people want to leave. 

Life in Paris is also expensive. Housing here is not cheap. And the pay here is terrible. When I came to Paris (for personal reasons) I took a 30% pay cut. Over a decade later, I am still earning less than I earned overseas before I came to France.  I would find a new job, but it's not easy. - This is not an Anglo Saxon country; the labour market here is almost completely immobile.

https://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/news/2018/10/paris-lifestyle-warning-bankers

true words here, terrible job market in France, companies are cheap when it comes to paying people, and they have poor management skills and don't reward hard work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

( After-Brexit  "The City"  week 1  ) :whistling:

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/brexit

News Business Business Analysis & Features'‘

Sacrificed for a bunch of fish’: How the City of London got turned over by Brexit in week one Boris Johnson has told us that the City of London will ‘adapt and prosper mightily’ after Brexit. But the Iagondustry itself is rather less confident -- reports Ben Chu 50 minutes

Well, except it was not sacrificed for a bunch of fish -- the fishing industry was also thrown under the bus (so to speak). 

Personally, I would not have chosen Paris to move my operations to... it is a great place to visit, so is London ... but I would not want to live there (again).  

There is another thing that the UK loses in this transition... The UK will not get back that 'special relationship' with the US after the the departure of Trump, and it will be less likely to attract US and Canadian subsidiaries when they start expanding their international operations into Europe... 

The UK relationship with the US (political) was based on self interest of the US... i.e. the UK and the US were more likely to be closer on issues than US and Europe... and UK often acted as a bridge to the EU and was able to close the gap between the EU and US...  now the UK being on the outside -- won't be in the same position and the US will have to look elsewhere. 

On the business side the UK was often the first expansion out of North America by companies because the UK gave direct access within the Common Market and was a little easier culturally for Americans to understand and of course spoke at least a few of the same words (English language based).  The UK does is not now in the Common Market and the domestic UK market while considerable is a fraction of the EU market.  In the case of Canada it won't really offer a better trade relationship with the EU (and I suspect in the next administration - potentially not with the US as well).  Simply put, the UK market does not provide the same benefits to be as attractive to expansion plans for North American companies. 

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

(Because Posts "violating Fair Use Policy have been reported and removed "

I made  it new and ultra short  (link title & les than 3 sentences ) .... so must read link to find out what was too long ....)

( After-Brexit  "The City"  week 1  ) :whistling:

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/brexit   

News Business Business Analysis & Features'‘

reports Ben Chu 50 minutes  

Sacrificed for a bunch of fish’: How the City of London got turned over by Brexit in week one Boris Johnson has told us that the City of London will ‘adapt and prosper mightily’ after Brexit. But the Iagondustry itself is rather less confident,

The City of London had a taste of the fruits of Brexit this week – and it was not pleasant. On 4 January - the first trading day of 2021 – billions of euros of business left the UK for the European Union. Some €5bn of trading in shares ranging from French banks to German car companies departed London and re-appeared in financial centres in mainland Europe such as Paris and Amsterdam.....

• Like 2

Government breaks promise to maintain ban on bee-harming pesticide

A pesticide believed to kill bees has been authorised for use in England despite an EU-wide ban two years ago and an explicit government pledge to keep the restrictions.

Following lobbying from the National Farmers’ Union (NFU) and British Sugar, a product containing the neonicotinoid thiamethoxam was sanctioned for emergency use on sugar beet seeds this year because of the threat posed by a virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...and-eu-farmers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) is to assess a number of emergency authorisations granted by EU member states for the use of neonicotinoids in sugar beet in 2020. The European Commission has requested this assessment, which covers emergency authorisations of clothianidin, imidacloprid, thiamethoxam and thiacloprid granted by Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Spain.

https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/publications/hps-weekly-report/volume-54/issue-50/efsa-to-examine-emergency-use-of-neonicotinoids/

Level Playing Field comes to mind

Fishers across Britain have accused Johnson of betrayal after he previously vowed to take back control of British waters. With little new control and little access to customer markets, many are in despair.

Scots voted 55-45 against independence in a 2014 referendum, but Brexit and the British government’s handling of the Covid-19 crisis have bolstered support for secession, with most polls showing a majority now favour breaking away.

image.thumb.png.8b0d7ad0dff3c3032b89d5ea974f252e.pnghttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/10/snp-demand-billions-in-brexit-compensation-for-scotland

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Brexit promises come to mind as well, now the UK is free to set up higher standards, can you remind us what Brexit promises were made on pesticides use?

There is an emergency issues with Sugar Beet as seen by the  European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)  announcement

The EU are hoping to have an alternative solution available by the end of 2022

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/news/pesticides-efsa-examine-emergency-use-neonicotinoids

At the moment the standards being deployed by the UK is the same standards that are being used by the EU

5 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Red tape rears it's ugly head -- not only is there more documentation on the exporter side, but also on the importer side... which will inevitably lead to EU customers looking elsewhere for goods that can be sourced in the friction-less EU marketplace.  UK exporters if they want to stay relevent will have to make their product more competitive by making them significantly cheaper (or significantly better quality - but then higher cost higher quality often shrinks the market as well). 

That soft splat johnson and other arch brexiteers are now hearing is the you know what hitting the fan...

Edited by Bluespunk
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

love that quote from the article above ????

One leading figure involved in the talks with Gove described the new rule book as a “complete <deleted>show”. Another said Gove seemed “very concerned” at hearing reports of problems, after a week in which Marks & Spencer was among leading companies to warn that more bureaucracy would increase costs. The source added: “He [Gove] seemed to realise the full gravity of the situation that is unfolding and about to get worse.”

I'm told that Mark's and Spencer in France are empty. Cannot go on importing food, if they cannot solve the very complicated import of sandwiches with multiple ingredients, they will have to choose between sourcing in Europe or closing... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Red tape rears it's ugly head -- not only is there more documentation on the exporter side, but also on the importer side... which will inevitably lead to EU customers looking elsewhere for goods that can be sourced in the friction-less EU marketplace.  UK exporters if they want to stay relevent will have to make their product more competitive by making them significantly cheaper (or significantly better quality - but then higher cost higher quality often shrinks the market as well). 

what were they thinking leaving the CU???? silly Maybot tried to impress the Brexiteers in her party for them to accept soft Brexit and she failed on all fronts, and so did BoJo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Labour MPs should have voted for Theresa May’s Brexit deal – then the party wouldn’t be in this mess

We can see clearly now: Labour MPs should have voted for May’s deal. We would have left the EU with the guarantee of staying in its customs union. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-corbyn-defeat-support-may-brexit-deal-a9246871.html

They are all guilty, Labour and Tories

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Labour MPs should have voted for Theresa May’s Brexit deal – then the party wouldn’t be in this mess

We can see clearly now: Labour MPs should have voted for May’s deal. We would have left the EU with the guarantee of staying in its customs union. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-corbyn-defeat-support-may-brexit-deal-a9246871.html

They should not have voted to have a GE,left Boris twisting in the wind.

• Like 2

Improperly formatted quotes and posts with graphics removed.  It's a discussion forum.   If a picture is not a part of the story, it will be removed and you may face a warning and suspension.