Explainer: Can anything stop Trump from pardoning his family or even himself?

webfact

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Earlier post from Jeffr2: "You don't seem to understand that a vast majority pardoned by Obama were in jail for drug charges.  Overly severe jail terms due to the failed war on drugs."

Earlier post from myself: "And how many of those were involved in inquiries/proceedings against the president?"

Some just don't get it...

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Never happened. The vast majority of Obama's pardons csme as a result of the recommendations of the indrpendent pardon office in the Dept. of Justice. Stop making things up.

Stop making things up.....

As the old saying goes, they can't help it, "because it's in their nature".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Never happened. The vast majority of Obama's pardons csme as a result of the recommendations of the indrpendent pardon office in the Dept. of Justice. Stop making things up.

I am making nothing up. Did Obama pardon over a thousand people or not...? This is a yes or no question.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, Jeffr2 said:

No criminal charge yet, but plenty of loses in court through the company he owns.  Fraud is the biggie.

And MANY cases upcoming.  Starting Jan 20th, it's going to be fun.

So he's been charged with nothing and you're getting excited about what your crystal ball is telling you!   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

Thanks, but what's that got to do with my question?   Has Trump been charged with anything?

Yes,  read up on the NY AG and the charges they have for Trump.  Can't wait for January 21st.  Should be fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:
11 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

Well, TSF, the poster I was responding to, sure doesn't, he seems to think that Trump has already been announced as the loser in the election which is not the case as no winner has been announced by the only agency that has the authority to do that!

I'm guessing you read The Epoch Times?

Regardless of what you think I may read, what I said is fact, you may not like it but there it is.  Perhaps you should do some reading?

Edited by Spatiumus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

A President is neither above or below the law, therefore, why would they have any less right to a pardon than anyone else?

Your answer is in your question: Because pardoning himself puts him above the law...in essence it makes him the law. You are quoted above as saying nobody is above the law. If you can pardon yourself, you can commit any federal crime you want to....you are above the law. The very fact that you would support anything less than he can not pardon himself speaks volumes about how you would place Dear President over country.

Edited by Tie Dye Samurai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

Your answer is in your question: Because pardoning himself puts him above the law...in essence it makes him the law.

The pardon, by its very definition, is a magisterial act unreviewable by Congress or the courts. It is therefore, in a sense, not a part of the "law" and exists outside it (or as you phrase it "makes [the President] the law.") It is an extraordinary power granted the president by the Constitution, which is analogous to the right of Kings at the time of the Constitution's drafting to make decisions on justice in the best interest of the nation. If President Trump thought granting himself such a pardon would serve the nation's interest, it would be within his right and power to do so. (This is my opinion...there is no Supreme Court decision on the question and the court might not even have jurisdiction to take up such a case.)

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yes,  read up on the NY AG and the charges they have for Trump.  Can't wait for January 21st.  Should be fun.

Once Trump becomes non POTUS he will be allocated a Secret Service body guard. Purely out of curiosity, what might happen should he be arrested on State charges ( and perhaps on Federal charges too). Would they be under orders (whose I have no idea) and try to prevent Trump from being arrested, or be permitted/ordered to step aside should that happen?

Would the same apply to his immediate family as well? If they are pardoned that would get them off Federal charges but not State/civil charges.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Surely that would put them in a dilemma as their duty is to protect Trump against everything even at the cost of their own lives?

Somehow I dont think him being in custody is a threat to his well being...after all he is in custody of the legal system of the State of New York and it is implied he would not be in harm's way. Protecting him does not mean he can not be detained or incarcerated...they would just step up the guards at his cell door.....the same as if he was in the hospital....rofl (God I hope this happens)

• Like 1