No lockdowns for now, says deputy PM

webfact

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

The government has decided not to announce a nationwide lockdown during the New Year period because the Covid-19 situation is not severe

It's sure going to be severe in the new year when everybody travels back to work.

It's people that spread it, it doesn't spread by itself.

Shut down travel between provinces for 2 weeks, nobody allowed more than 10km from their residence except in rural areas or with medical emergency.  

Let's see how they fair by the end of January not doing this. 

• Like 1

It's slightly gratifying to see the government lay some blame at the feet of the Thai people for spread rather than just migrants and foreigners. However, at one of the biggest travel times of the year and Covid getting a foothold, not implementing a lockdown seems very shortsighted and misguided.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

Wissanu also said foreigners were not to blame for the new wave of infections, but was related to Thais who sneaked across borders.

I do wish these people would start singing from the same hymn sheet!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Enjoy New Year, relax, celebrate and pick up the pieces in January.

It looks as if the pieces to pick up are going to be significant.

As I am posting this at, 10.15 AM on 30th Dec, my Missus has just said that the Government are going to Lock Down the entire Country early in the New Year after people have returned from their Provinces.

Just saying, and  dont know if there is any truth to this. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, allane said:

It is unbelievable, that with the 4 day New Year's weekend about to begin, and the kind of projections we have just seen released ( 1,000 - 18,000 new cases per day by Jan. 14), that a national lockdown was not announced a few days ago.

Probably Thai logic.

If they lock down now, they may not reach that number by January 14

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Wissanu also said foreigners were not to blame for the new wave of infections, but was related to Thais who sneaked across borders.

I bet you Anutin is spitting chips over that statement.....LOL

We have been anticipating the lockdown 2nd wave since those naughty girls crossed over, not to mention the latest with the border guys allowing truck loads of immigrants in without quarantining so they dare suggest ????

So we took it upon our selves to stock take yesterday, 2 boxes of sour cream Pringles with onions, 12 boxes of beer, and assorted spirits, and two large packets of toilet rolls, that should sort us for a week.

Edited by 4MyEgo

19 hours ago, allane said:

It is unbelievable, that with the 4 day New Year's weekend about to begin, and the kind of projections we have just seen released ( 1,000 - 18,000 new cases per day by Jan. 14), that a national lockdown was not announced a few days ago.

if they did that it would effectively restrict the "powers that be" from travelling also, and they are the only people who matter here.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

So illegal migrant workers are not foreigners, it's all the blame of Thais, whoa where has this man been and more to the point where is he going to be moved to for making such a statement.

40 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

As I am posting this at, 10.15 AM on 30th Dec, my Missus has just said that the Government are going to Lock Down the entire Country early in the New Year after people have returned from their Provinces.

They can't lock it down now they've already gone on holidays.

Early next year makes sense after the mid-January figures spike.

Nothing is certain but I would lay odds on a post New Year lockdown.

The reluctance to do it now may reflect political concerns (not wanting to do something that would be very unpopular) nto just short term economic loss.

Even without the holidays, things are an a sharply upward trajectory and holiday travel will certainly add to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

I'm hearing the same mutterings from friends in BBK. Nothing concrete, just talk ( at the moment ),

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Nothing is certain but I would lay odds on a post New Year lockdown.

The reluctance to do it now may reflect political concerns (not wanting to do something that would be very unpopular) nto just short term economic loss.

Even without the holidays, things are an a sharply upward trajectory and holiday travel will certainly add to that.

I hope it's not till the 9th. I don't get out of quarantine till the 6th.  I've just done quarantine in 2 other countries to get here. Would hate to be locked down in BKK so close to the finish line. Lol.

Edited by starky

Noone really knows how good or bad the situation is. 

Test 1 million random Thais  across the country in a day, and publish the results.

Then we know if a lockdown is needed or not. 

27 minutes ago, starky said:

I hope it's not till the 9th. I don't get out of quarantine till the 6th.  I've just done quarantine in 2 other countries to get here. Would hate to be locked down in BKK so close to the finish line. Lol.

Ouch that's a lot of hoops, but the goalline is close now ????

Which countries did you quarantine in to get to Thailand? 

Pattaya is locked down now....so much for no lockdowns.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/12/30/banglamung-pattaya-enters-highly-controlled-status-shutdowns-of-non-essential-business-bars-malls-etc/

Banglamung/Pattaya enters highly controlled status, shutdowns of non essential business, bars, malls, etc

Edited by Jeffr2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Pattaya is locked down now....so much for no lockdowns.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/12/30/banglamung-pattaya-enters-highly-controlled-status-shutdowns-of-non-essential-business-bars-malls-etc/

Banglamung/Pattaya enters highly controlled status, shutdowns of non essential business, bars, malls, etc

It's not the absolute lockdown as before. Blockades aren't in place, no police checkpoints on Sukhumvit. Yet.

• Like 1