Restrictions increased in Pattaya/Bang Lamung - non essential business ordered to close

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, bodga said:

The  vast majority of  people doing that are................THAIS

Maybe where you are, but certainly not in Bangkok.  In three mall visits in the past week, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I saw not wearing a mask, or wearing it as a chin-warmer, was farang.  It's no wonder Thais are increasingly on board with the idea of continuous tracking of foreigners.

30 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Sell it to who, exactly? Only ones who can buy land are Thai nationals. Selling the land off cheaply to the super rich families would be doing a lot for these families and pretty much nothing for the army or the masses. But we can ask some of the influential families if they're interested in some prime land plots at 90% off...

Prime land lots will find a buyer, in any market. 90% off? Point the way please. I have investors. We will buy all the land, homes, office buildings, commercial space, and condos you can find at 90% off, and pay you a generous finders fee. Please think before you utter uninformed nonsense next time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus,” Dr. David Nabarro said to The Spectator’s Andrew Neil. “The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”

Primary being the key word. They are spot on. Just one of the tools used to control the virus.

1 hour ago, apetryxx said:

Social, economic and mental health of the population is far worse than the Covid infection itself. 

These points were already a massive concern here in Thailand even before Covid

as nothing was done to adress the problem, i presume it's not a priority for the power that be

When covid first hit, they were very quick to close the borders and ban inter-province travel. Why on earth they haven't stopped people moving around the country is anyone's guess. From the beginning of January, the virus is really going to take off. Pattaya, which is fairly covid free will suffer after the usual hoards of Bankokians decend on the place for the New Year holiday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

President Harris Well Dr.Johan Giesecke, who from 1995 to 2005, served as state epidemiologist of Sweden. During a one-year sabbatical 1999-2000 he led a group at the World Health Organization working on the revision of the International Health Regulations. After this, he was Chief Scientist at the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control from 2005 to 2014. As of 2020, Giesecke is a member of the Strategic and Technical Advisory Group for Infectious Hazards of the World Health Organization, and also works as an advisor to the Public Health Agency of Sweden during the COVID-19 pandemic in Sweden". Said "At best, lockdowns push cases into the future, they do not lower total deaths."

Perhaps I lack your fellow's credentials, but the point of lockdowns was two fold:

-try to maximize the care each infected person could get by not overloading the medical system

-buy time until (hopefully) a vaccine is developed

Now the vaccines are here, just awaiting enough production and inoculation. In the US, though the vaccines are quickly becoming available, the rollout has been incompetent, administering only 2 million in two weeks. Even if it was ramped up to a million a day, it would take 11 months to get the whole US inoculated, and almost 7 months to reach the supposed sweet zone of 70% inoculated.

Those areas in the US considering new lockdowns are doing so because hospital beds have never been so full and ICUs in many areas are completely full.

Perhaps Thailand wants to avoid all of that and buy time until its vaccines arrive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

When covid first hit, they were very quick to close the borders and ban inter-province travel. Why on earth they haven't stopped people moving around the country is anyone's guess. From the beginning of January, the virus is really going to take off. Pattaya, which is fairly covid free will suffer after the usual hoards of Bankokians decend on the place for the New Year holiday.

no 7 elevens or family marts open after 10pm they will have to bring their beer with them 

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Prime land lots will find a buyer, in any market. 90% off? Point the way please. I have investors. We will buy all the land, homes, office buildings, commercial space, and condos you can find at 90% off, and pay you a generous finders fee. Please think before you utter uninformed nonsense next time. 

So basically you're asking Thai Army to sell the prime lots to you/your investors for your benefit, after which we all know the money will disappear among the top brass and not a breadcrumb would be shared with the masses. How will that benefit the people? And there are 60+ million of them. To make a dent, it would take at least say 200,000 baht on average for a year until this is hopefully over. This makes it just about 12 trillion Baht. Which plot are you offering that for? I'll make a call for you.

20 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Maybe where you are, but certainly not in Bangkok.  In three mall visits in the past week, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I saw not wearing a mask, or wearing it as a chin-warmer, was farang.  It's no wonder Thais are increasingly on board with the idea of continuous tracking of foreigners.

Don't worry when they're starving they'll be rolling out the red carpet to them........ I can't see big brother China doing much apart from stealing Thailands food.......     Sit back and watch the show...... 

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Son: Dad, dad, there's a man at the door with a bill.

Dad: No son, it's a duck with a hat on.

(sorry!)

Son: 'Dad, there's a man at the door with a bald head.'

Dad: 'Tell him I've already got one.'

(I'll get my coat...)

• Like 1

I understand the seriousness of the disease.  With that said, I still don't see what any country including Thailand has as its end game.  Lets assume that Thailand can completely eradicate Covid and have Zero people infected.  Then what?  Wait until the rest of the world also achieves that?  Not likely to happen.  Perhaps the vaccine may 'help" but there have been vaccines for the flu for decades and yet each year between 5% and 20% of the worlds population catches some form on influenza with the average being 9% annually.  I think every country better look towards how to function in a world with Covid since I think the prospects that it will be part of everyday life going forward.  If on average 9% of the world gets the flu each year is there really any prospect to limit Covid to a non relevant percentage of the world's population? 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278149/

image.png.f7df6af692ea1f669a90a8365b33396d.png

Edited by Thomas J
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I am not a frequent user of the phone shops too

but seeing the number of phone shops always full

of thai customers i guess there is some demand

Of course there is demand,my internet,TV and mobile SIM card are all from the same supplier.They closed the phone shops here in the Netherlands during the first lockdown,a mate of mine couldn't get on the internet with his new phone and was desperate for the shop to reopen.I managed to get him online by going through it step by step.He is 72.The world and most of the population would be lost if they are offline,it's not about making the odd call.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Maybe all those farang idiots I see regularly in Big C, walking around without a mask over their faces, will start to conform.   Sticking it under your chin doesn't count. 

Sadly not yet.  On a walk along Beach road, up Soi8 and along Soi Buckhao it was noticeable the disparity in mask wearing.  More Farang were wearing as a chin strap or mouthguard than properly.  The converse was the cae for the locals. 

PH

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Yawn - shouldn't you be posting this nonsense on Reddit or QAnon?

"We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus."

This statement from Dr David Nabarro

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-12/world-health-organization-coronavirus-lockdown-advice/12753688

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

But you can still buy a ticket today upto about 1pm

But I said “right now” and that was after I looked at the draw results on the Internet. If you know of someone selling tickets after the results are  published,  please give his location so I can be there on the next draw date.

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Maybe all those farang idiots I see regularly in Big C, walking around without a mask over their faces, will start to conform.   Sticking it under your chin doesn't count. 

maybe all those thai idiots i see regularly on big c too, i see more of them

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, scammed said:

"We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus."

This statement from Dr David Nabarro

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-12/world-health-organization-coronavirus-lockdown-advice/12753688

He doesn't say that they should never be used though:
"The only time we believe a lockdown in justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted"

"Too many restrictions damage people's livelihoods and provoke resentment. 'Virus run wild' will lead to lots of deaths as well as debilitating long-COVID among younger people"

6 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

and how long is a new phone suppose to live for.....mine is 5 yrs old and still going strong......

You might need to replace the battery soon. Or if you drop it and crack the screen you might need a new screen. Perhaps you will catch a virus or get malware and the phone might need attention. It might get wet and cease functioning. You never know when you might need the services of a telephone shop.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

He doesn't say that they should never be used though:
"The only time we believe a lockdown in justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted"

"Too many restrictions damage people's livelihoods and provoke resentment. 'Virus run wild' will lead to lots of deaths as well as debilitating long-COVID among younger people"

yes, but this lockdown isnt imposed to "buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted"

its another knee jerk reaction that will hit everyone and especially

those that already lost everything last time lockdown was imposed.

well, not everyone, i draw pension from another country so i am not making a single buck here,

everyone could starve but i wont feel a thing

until there are no more employees at foodland/big c/7/subway etc

Edited by scammed

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Don't worry when they're starving they'll be rolling out the red carpet to them........ I can't see big brother China doing much apart from stealing Thailands food.......     Sit back and watch the show...... 

'When they are starving'!..Have you ever been here? ' Roll out red carpets'? Please validitfy this outrageous misrepresentation of reality. You over estimate the worth, value and abilities of foreigners here.  I genuinely can't make any sense out of your comment which is wrong on so many levels it might be planted, provocative trolling.

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

In malls, supermarkets, pharmacies, banks and mobile phone shops can remain open.

Any idea why phone shops should remail open as not necessary ?

I'd say having a working phone is pretty much essential nowadays, especially when you're stuck at home in lockdown. To order food, to do banking, to socialize with friends and family elsewhere... it's an increasingly long list.

If your phone breaks and you need a replacement, it's not really any different from needing to replace or replenish other essential devices or goods that can also be sold.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scammed said:

yes, but this lockdown isnt imposed to "buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted"

its another knee jerk reaction that will hit everyone and especially

those that already lost everything last time lockdown was imposed.

well, not everyone, i draw pension from another country so i am not making a single buck here,

everyone could starve but i wont feel a thing

until there are no more employees at foodland/big c/7 etc

He's saying don't use it as a knee jerk reaction. It's one tactic amongst different options. Only use it when circumstances will benefit from its use.