Covid outbreak: Foreign workers penned in by BARBED WIRE at condo in Nonthaburi

webfact

57 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

This isn't nationalism - its pure racism.

adjective
adjective: racist
  1. prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
    "we are investigating complaints about racist abuse"

noun
noun: racist; plural noun: racists
  1. a person who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

It is nationalism. 

If they were Thai citizens of an ethnic background, it would be racism. 

People from Lao and Burma are the same race.

Would Americans doing this to Brits be racist? 

Edited by Neeranam

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It is nationalism. 

If they were Thai citizens of an ethnic background, it would be racism. 

People from Lao and Burma are the same race.

Would Americans doing this to Brits be racist? 

It is racism.  My son in law is British and he is black. If I discriminate against him in any way based on the colour of his skin, its racism - even though we are both British.

Not about to get into an argument about Thai ethnicity with you but you might want to consider your first paragraph. Not all Thais and Laos are the same race.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Has nothing to do with woke views. It has everything to do with being treated the proper way and not oppressed.  Guess you wouldn't mind being barbed wired into your house or condo with no where to go and be isolated like an animal in the zoo.  Get over yourself.  It also speaks volumes for how this government sees themselves and that is superior to all others regardless if you are from a European country, the US or another Asian country that is less wealthy.

Many people around the world are confined to their houses, its nothing about "oppression" for gods sake

Nothing to do with "woke" views eh???   The  Thais being referred to as "disgusting animals" because their actions don't conform to lefty ideals is condidered ok .   Thats pretty indicative of" wokeness" if you ask me

• Sad 1

Is it a stretch to say if some try to make a break for it guard towers and armed guards will be brought in?

How much of a stretch for this kind of thing to happen to condo buildings around pattaya to keep the farangs in moving into 2021. In my opinion 2020 was just the opening act of this thing. 

Edited by nomadinuk

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I guess when you consider the brainwashing they get from the day they start school, it helps to explain some of that.  All the 'Thailand is Wonderful', 'Thailand is great', 'Love Thailand', BS has a lot to answer for.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of your country and heritage. But at the same time, people must remain humble and accept that we are all human, and are all made up of the same stuff. 

1 hour ago, SmileyCat said:

If you want to talk about racism, let's talk about rapidly increasing hate crime against Asians in UK, EU, and US. That's racism. 

Nobody is saying that's OK. It just so happens we are reacting to a news item from Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is nothing wrong with being proud of your country and heritage. But at the same time, people must remain humble and accept that we are all human, and are all made up of the same stuff. 

I agree with you.  Nationalism and Racism are separate entities. However, quite often Nationalism leads to Racism.

I've often heard about Racism in Thailand but never experienced it nor seen it - until this year that is.

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I agree with you.  Nationalism and Racism are separate entities. However, quite often Nationalism leads to Racism.

I've often heard about Racism in Thailand but never experienced it nor seen it - until this year that is.

perhaps now you would like to leave??    or stay and complain lol

The containment is for a short time and is to allow Thai health people to better manage the event.

First the Thais need to verify who is in the condo and their health status. There looks like an assumption that there are are both illegal  migrants and potential infected people.  Yes, it looks bad but we all know that in Thailand when people are in trouble, they run. When they do that, they can infect others.

Please get used to this because it is not specific to Thailand. This is how countries with limited resources manage infectious crisis. Look at Africa and how ebola is managed. Military lockdowns are what they do and they will shoot people.  I don't agree with  barbed wire, but I ask what alternative do Thais have to keep the migrants in location?

And to all those who are complaining consider that the world has imposed a defacto isolation of Africa because of Covid19. It is next to impossible to leave southern Africa and enter EU or America. What is the moral difference ?

34 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:
2 hours ago, SmileyCat said:

If you want to talk about racism, let's talk about rapidly increasing hate crime against Asians in UK, EU, and US. That's racism. 

Nobody is saying that's OK. It just so happens we are reacting to a news item from Thailand.

No you're not. You're over-reacting to a news item from Thailand.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

So a group of suspected people were isolated / quarantined in the middle of a "pandemic"   get over yourselves,  

and the govt cant test all of them ? the rich thai govt ? 

1 usd = 29.xx   baht now.   still they cant support the poor migrant workers by testing all of them? 

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

As a guest in Thailand  I can't get to worked up what Thais think of others 

I am happy here lead a quite life dont get involved in Politics of the Country

If you feel that strong about what is happening to others and feel resentment against the Thai Government  then do something about it talk the talk is easy 

Do the walk 

Shackleton....... he was a brave man.........   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is racism pure and simple. Racism towards a ethnic class they feel is inferior to themselves.  Enough said.

I sometimes think it's because they have such an inferior complex themselves that they react this way to any non Thai's!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

Next up? 

All dirty Farangs, Indian, Middle Easterners and Africans will need to be surrounded by barb-wire fences and remain is their concentration camps.  I can't wait until I wake up one morning to find my home barb-wired shut (although I have wire cutters).

Is this where Thailand is headed?  It's starting to look like it as well as smelling of racism unconstrained.  Has this hit AP or Reuters yet?

when Singapore did it, no body said ****, why would that be you think?

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Many people around the world are confined to their houses, its nothing about "oppression" for gods sake

Nothing to do with "woke" views eh???   The  Thais being referred to as "disgusting animals" because their actions don't conform to lefty ideals is condidered ok .   Thats pretty indicative of" wokeness" if you ask me

Is this an 'around the world' forum or a Thai forum?

3 hours ago, SmileyCat said:

You don't get it either do you? This is not about UK, EU or US, it's about Thailand! Maybe if you stick around for a while, you might get it eventually too..................maybe!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

when Singapore did it, no body said ****, why would that be you think?

Maybe they did.............................in the Singapore forum! No need to apologize for Thailand, most people get it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donaldo said:

Every time someone makes a negative comment on the Thais or the country there are always many apologists ready to jump to the rescue. Wonder what they have to say about this. Thailand is probably one of the most xenophobic countries on earth. Discrimination and nationalistic thinking are promoted and officially endorsed by the government. Of course not all Thais are the same, but most go along with the racist thinking.

I can think of two western nations off the top of my head that put Thailand to shame in these categories, in fact I believe they invented it all..

• Confused 2