What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

On 12/25/2021 at 2:24 PM, LosLobo said:

Binge watched "Hidden Assets" full series last night. Excellent!

Yes, it was good, as I've already mentioned somewhere, however the ending was a bit tame in my opinion, because it never really tied anything off/cleared the whole mess up, and left one hanging, so perhaps there is a second series coming out??

I enjoyed "Being the Ricardos", an Aaron Sorkin-penned and directed look at one week (1953) in the life of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. 60 million people watched their TV show each week!

Nicole Kidman (Oscar rumblings?), Javier Bardem, JK Simmons. and the rest of the supporting cast are great.

Not for everyone, certainly older American folks who are familiar with Ms. Ball, and fans of Sorkin (last year's "The Trial of the Chicago 7" was pretty good) will enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvrjCdtB0zM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:
On 12/25/2021 at 2:24 PM, LosLobo said:

Binge watched "Hidden Assets" full series last night. Excellent!

Yes, it was good, as I've already mentioned somewhere, however the ending was a bit tame in my opinion, because it never really tied anything off/cleared the whole mess up, and left one hanging, so perhaps there is a second series coming out??

I agree with you @xylophone. The banter between Emer and De Jong makes me think that there will be at least another season.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Just saw all 6 episodes of Vigil from BBC.  Excellent crime/submarine and geopolitical drama.  As usual excellent writing and great acting.  Some of my favorites were in it:  Suzanne Jones, Gary Lewis, Stephen Dillane and Martin Compston.  

glad you liked it ,your no 2 now ???? gosh it was awful

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, seedy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māori_people

There were 775,836 people identifying as being part of the Māori ethnic group at the 2018 New Zealand census, making up 16.5% of New Zealand's population. This is an increase of 177,234 people (29.6%) since the 2013 census, and an increase of 210,507 people (37.2%) since the 2006 census.

Part, when I lived there it was commonly accepted there were no, all almost no full blood Maori left alive

Halfway through 8 episodes of Reyka. Very watchable. Different than most of the police dramas referenced here. Some of you won't like it as the whites aren't necessarily the protagonists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10163204

In 1994 South Africa, a multiracial couple's daughter is kidnapped. She escapes, and as an adult she becomes a detective. Continuing to deal with her past trauma, Reyka Gama uses her skills to raise her child and solve mysteries that have challenged others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

Halfway through 8 episodes of Reyka. Very watchable. Different than most of the police dramas referenced here. Some of you won't like it as the whites aren't necessarily the protagonists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10163204

In 1994 South Africa, a multiracial couple's daughter is kidnapped. She escapes, and as an adult she becomes a detective. Continuing to deal with her past trauma, Reyka Gama uses her skills to raise her child and solve mysteries that have challenged others.

Looks promising.

19 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Just watching 1883 ,its a prequel to Yellowstone i believe ,wow ,i am really taken by it ,its the best thing i have watched for a long time ,

Enjoying Yellowstone and now this new one 1883, really good.

Taylor Sheridan is quite talented with a string of hits under his belt.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, recom273 said:

You could try going through a search engine .. i'm not too sure how effective they are at finding the right file, try this, it gives a magnetic link.

https://solidtorrents.net/

I don't like those sites like rarbg and 1337, etc, they all need to make money somehow - They give me a headache with all the popups, nag screens, ads and whatever. If you are talking about the website rather than the files accessed with them - On the face of it they seem dodgy, but when I did a bit of research they seemed harmless enough.

There is an app that will search all the torrent sites you tell it to, called Prowlarr, I use it along with a suite of apps inc sonarr and radarr.

I don't have any problem with ads on any of those torrent sites, but I do use an ad blocker. I click on whatever movie or TV show I want to download and it places it into qBittorrent for download. and it's as simple as that. What on earth is dodgy about them? Never had a problem in 12 years.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2021 at 5:35 PM, milys said:

I just saw the new movie Don't Look Up.

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence and more.

It's a satirical movie with parallells to the last American presidency.

I think it's one of the funniest movies I've seen since Wag the Dog.

Available on Netflix and your local torrent site.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything funny in "Don't Look Up" and turned it off after about 25 minutes!

Satire in spades, but the problem being that the satire which was being portrayed in the movie, was just about the equivalent to what was happening in the US at the time, no exaggeration, just plain stupidity and arrogance, and I didn't find anything funny in that at all.

In addition it also parodied how the smart phone was beginning to rule our lives, just a plain truth.

Everyone to their own I guess.

• Like 2

Another "nice" movie that has popped up. Think it's been mention before but worth mentioning again.

Based on true events:-

The Dish

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Actors: Sam Neill, Billy Mitchell, Roz Hammond

In the days before the July 19, 1969 space mission that marked humankind's first steps on the moon, NASA was working with a group of Australian technicians who had agreed to rig up a satellite interface. That the Aussies placed the satellite dish smack dab in the middle of an Australian sheep farm in the boondocks town of Parkes was just one of the reasons that NASA was concerned. Based on a true story, The Dish takes a smart, witty, comical look at the differing cultural attitudes between Australia and the U.S. while revisiting one of the greatest events in history.

773325876_TheDish!.JPG.4c968f8ae795f00339bbd8df1ae2c6a0.JPG

Available from TorrentDay with subs  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 4:50 PM, giddyup said:

A Kiwi series called "Eggs". Brilliant! Also, "What we do in the Shadows", very funny. I think the Kiwis have produced some gems.

Agree with you on this, and a few good movies to consider, apart from the ones 
which have already been mentioned would be: –

The Quiet Earth; Utu; The Piano and for a real piece of Kiwiana, "Goodbye Pork Pie" – – you had to really be in NZ to appreciate the last one!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't have any problem with ads on any of those torrent sites, but I do use an ad blocker. I click on whatever movie or TV show I want to download and it places it into qBittorrent for download. and it's as simple as that. What on earth is dodgy about them? Never had a problem in 12 years.

This is basically what I do using qBittorrent client. You can add your favourite search engines to it and let it do all the work. Having said that, I also use TGx to find torrents and then copy the torrent or magnet link into qBittorrent client.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

All these sites make a lot of money, you need to ask yourself how?

I don’t think the actual files distributed pose a threat, we all seem to share the same files these days, the code the sites use is relatively harmless, but there is always a small risk.

This website not only violates copyright but also uses fake advertising networks. As a result, visitors to this page may be redirected to various unreliable and potentially dangerous websites.”

Not everyone who runs these sites are legit and community spirited as us.

Best to do your own research and assess the risks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

All these sites make a lot of money, you need to ask yourself how?

I don’t think the actual files distributed pose a threat, we all seem to share the same files these days, the code the sites use is relatively harmless, but there is always a small risk.

This website not only violates copyright but also uses fake advertising networks. As a result, visitors to this page may be redirected to various unreliable and potentially dangerous websites.”

Not everyone who runs these sites are legit and community spirited as us.

Best to do your own research and assess the risks.

Like I said, 12 years and never a problem. Never heard of anyone else having any problems either.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Agree with you on this, and a few good movies to consider, apart from the ones 
which have already been mentioned would be: –

The Quiet Earth; Utu; The Piano and for a real piece of Kiwiana, "Goodbye Pork Pie" – – you had to really be in NZ to appreciate the last one!

Add, "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" to the list above; good Kiwi movie starring Sam Neil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Torrents, seed-boxes, network attached storage (NAS), Kodi etc. were very popular albeit a decade ago, when the internet was slow and data plans were expensive and good content was difficult to find.
But nowadays with cheap, hi-speed connections, modern smart TV's and excellent streaming services, what is the current attraction of "torrents"?

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

To be able to watch what you want when you want. I put all my movie and TV downloads onto a flash drive and play through my Smart TV. If I stop in the middle of a movie, it will just pick up where I left off. I just find it more convenient using torrents as it only takes a few minutes to download and I can download several torrents at the same time if I wish.

Curious, to each his own. I can do the same with various streaming services without leaving my TV or remote. TBH I used to do the same as you. But with the info I have gleaned from this site, I have watched everything I have wanted to and haven't downloaded anything for almost five years now.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Curious, to each his own. I can do the same with various streaming services without leaving my TV or remote.

I find I come across TV shows and movies, also docos on torrent sites that I would never find just surfing streaming sites. Plus people on this forum sometimes recommend shows that I have never heard of before that may not be available to stream, but like you say, to each their own.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Like I said, 12 years and never a problem. Never heard of anyone else having any problems either.

I’m just trying to explain why the poster feels that sites like rarbg may pose a threat. Some people are more security conscious than others and there is nothing wrong with that.

36 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Torrents, seed-boxes, network attached storage (NAS), Kodi etc. were very popular albeit a decade ago, when the internet was slow and data plans were expensive and good content was difficult to find.
But nowadays with cheap, hi-speed connections, modern smart TV's and excellent streaming services, what is the current attraction of "torrents"?

For me, there are a couple of reasons - again, if we are talking about “illegal” sites like fmovies or others that are mentioned here, then they aren’t really free, you are paying somewhere, I don’t know, and I don’t want to know, I don’t use them. 

I have a pretty nice TV and audio setup, I want to able to control the quality of the material I watch. The files on these servers (not Netflix / amazon, etc) have to be reencoded, video and audio bitrate reduced to the lowest possible to keep down storage and bandwidth costs down, maybe you don’t notice them, but I prefer not to, everyone is different. Even SBS, a great commercial supporter on-demand service that features here stamps all over the files and they look terrible.

Don’t you find paid streaming services all put out the similar generic content? I think  the standard of TV writing and production is great these days, it good to select content from different sources. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Part, when I lived there it was commonly accepted there were no, all almost no full blood Maori left alive

When I lived there---60s--70s there were benefits for being Maori / Part Maori ...special low interest housing loans etc.... Maori State Housing commission.  I think the claiming went up to one 10th or 8th....great great grand fathers. I spent some time Samoa/Tonga / cook island etc...they & the Maori's do remind me a bit of Thai people. Same laid back sort of attitude. Same--dont mix well with alcohol. My ex came from a small forestry town, that was  largely populated with Islanders and Maori's---- I dont think I ever saw a full Maori