Essence of chicken

Aforek

Hello

Do you know " Essence of Chicken Brand bottles" , I read that it's very popular in Asia

but is it good, and good for what ? ; is Essence of Chicken recommended  in case of KCD state  3 ( kidney disease ) ? 

thank you and happy new year

My Thai wife swears by it. She makes sure I have one every morning. Brand's have a very informative website that you might like to visit. Did you know that it was originally made for King George IV of England? Great question for a pub quiz night.

Go visit: https://www.brandsworld.com.sg/en/about-us/history-and-heritage.html

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

Yes, back in the days when even renowned physicians bled their patients to balance the humours.

Mr. Henderson William, Brand was the King's chef. He also created A 1 sauce. Nothing to do with physicians.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 11:25 PM, onebir said:

But the results don't hold up under meta-review, apparently.

The only problem with that "paper" is that "mental fatigue" isn't actually a thing!

The stuff is concentrated chicken stock with a lot of salt.

"Brand's Essence of Chicken (BEC) is produced via a water extraction process from chicken meat for several hours under high-temperature, followed by centrifugation to remove fat and cholesterol, vacuum concentration to 3- to 4-fold, sterilization by high temperature and pressure before bottling." i.e. Chicken stock. 

guessit's the Thai equivalent of Bovril 

• Like 2

Would the high temperature destroy the nutritional

8 minutes ago, Histavia said:

The only problem with that "paper" is that "mental fatigue" isn't actually a thing!

The stuff is concentrated chicken stock with a lot of salt.

"Brand's Essence of Chicken (BEC) is produced via a water extraction process from chicken meat for several hours under high-temperature, followed by centrifugation to remove fat and cholesterol, vacuum concentration to 3- to 4-fold, sterilization by high temperature and pressure before bottling." i.e. Chicken stock. 

guessit's the Thai equivalent of Bovril 

benefits?

On 1/1/2021 at 4:33 AM, Sheryl said:

It is basically just chicken and chicken meat  cooked a long time. It is rich in certain amino acids which seem to be helpful in counteracting fatigue.

There is no evidence it would be useful in kidney disease. It is comparatrively high in protein and high protein foods can be contraindicated in people with advanced kidney disease.

So good for after a workout? As good as whey?

On 1/2/2021 at 6:17 AM, sirineou said:

Below is a study on "Effects of chicken essence on recovery from mental fatigue in healthy males "

"

Results

After essence of chicken intake for 1 and 4 weeks, the reaction times on the cognitive task trials after the rest session were significantly shorter than those at baseline, and significant changes were not observed with placebo intake. The reaction times before and after the fatigue-inducing session were not altered by either essence of chicken or placebo intake. "

" Conclusions

We showed that daily intake of essence of chicken could be effective for the recovery from mental fatigue and is a promising candidate for use as an anti-fatigue food."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3707410/

Explains why the local SEA populations are so exceptionally fast and cognitive awake in comparison to their Western brothers and sisters.

Loads of marketing humbug, imho.

Edited by fabruer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

So good for after a workout? As good as whey?

Whey is recommend because it is easy to reach a minimum quantity (around 40 grams) in one serving and is quickly absorbed by the body.

This product is claimed to be "rich in certain amino acids", so in no way you can extract from that that is has similar benefits as whey or would be good after a workout.

Imagine how many bottles you need to drink to reach 40 grams of protein from that... compare that to the cost of 2 scoops of whey protein. 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:39 PM, Aforek said:

Do you know " Essence of Chicken Brand bottles" , I read that it's very popular in Asia

but is it good, and good for what ?

If you ask a Thai it's good for almost everything, that Tiger Balm cannot handle...:thumbsup:

It's also supposed to give you extra power, and might be recommended to get power when one is weak from sickness, or just need extra power for other purposes, like a night in the town...????

I've tried it a couple of times on my girlfriend's recommendation, mixed with a small Krating Daeng-bottle (original Red Bull) so it more easy to digest for a farang; it works...????, but I however don't know if it's the squeeze chicken liquid or the Krating Daeng that gives the power, probably the chicken as I didn't grew any Red Bull-wings from that cure...:whistling:

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, loong said:

It has always been known that chicken soup is good for you.

Chicken soup is tasty and cheap to make.
Why pay extortionate prices for concentrated chicken soup? I don't know.

Yes, I think it's mostly marketing ; and sold in small bottles, even more expensive than in a one liter bottle !

4 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
On 1/2/2021 at 5:42 AM, faraday said:

How many chickens go into one jar, I wonder?

At least 20 but they're REALLY tiny.

Do they remove the feathers, what i mean to say is, are the chickens completely plucked. ????

Basically concentrated chicken stock without the lumps and fat . Thais will buy anything if told how amazing it is . Just look at the amount of celebrities that sell whitening face cream that makes you look like a model . Thai women buy loads of it believing it’s going to turn them into a model and superstar . They kind of skip the fact the celeb is from a upper class rich family and has genetics and a surgeon on their side !! Oh and millions of pounds to waste on beauty treatments.

• Like 1

I remember I had a gf that was into it years ago. She seemed to think it gave her a boost.

I tried it and liked it. If I feel like a need a bit of a boost I drink it and for a few moments afterwards feel some energy.

Pretty much like a chicken stock I think.

When you open make sure to smash the lid into your palm a bit for absolutely no reason like the Thais do. Then you will look like you really know your stuff

Edited by sikishrory
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fabruer said:

Explains why the local SEA populations are so exceptionally fast and cognitive awake in comparison to their Western brothers and sisters.

Loads of marketing humbug, imho.

I don't know about you west, but here in the US we could use some essence of Chicken ,  All ge got now is NonSense.