Curious. On your vehicle here, what side is the turn signal stalk?

VocalNeal

On 1/6/2021 at 12:48 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Right (Ford)

2011 PX Ford Ranger XLT =  right

2014 PX Ford Ranger Wildtrak = left.

The latter is called the "Euro stalk" as that is the preferred configuration for that market. <deleted> me off though as it made one-handed driving/signalling (elbow on the window sill) impossible.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, KhaoYai said:

No, it is imposed on us - see my previous post. If you go back to where we actually designed and built cars in the UK instead of being just an assembly plant for Europe, you will find that British cars have their stalks on the right.

BS. Its up to the manufacturer.

A mid-60's Triumph 2000 had indicators on the left (overdrive stalk was on the right).

UK spec. Toyota Corollas had the stalk on the right but Yaris of the same age was on the left. Ditto some of Hyundai and Kia where some models on the left and some on the right.

Its down to economics.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, Pilotman said:

turn indictors are an optional extra in Thailand. Most Thais don't go for that option apparently. 

Nah they take the bulb out to save the battery, same with rear lights...5555

Best one, when asked why the red glass that had faded to white/clear hadnt been replaced with red, came the anser, "bulb doest work so hard showing white".......really .....555555% 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

BS. Its up to the manufacturer.

Its not BS at all I can assure you its 100% correct. If you look at what I have stated and your repy, you will actually see that we agree - its imposed on us, imposed by the manufacturers - and yes, its economics.

The correct sides are:

RHD cars - indicator on the right

LHD cars - indicator on the left

Very few European manufacturers differ from that, regardless of which market their cars are destined for but some Japanese manufacturers do.  I haven't driven too many recent Japanese cars in the UK but I noted a while back that some were starting to follow the European factories with the stalk on the left - possibly because they have factories in Europe themselves.

You talk about the 60's - at that time there was no agreed standard and stalks were all over the place. I used to work for BMW and I can tell you that the standard of RHD - Right/LHD - Left was agreed around 1980 but it was never brought into legislation. The Type Approval Regulations that followed did not specify which side the stalks should be on.  Thus, the hotch potch that we have now.

A similar agreement was made for exhausts and also never made law.  You will note that at one time most Euro cars had their tail pipes on the left whereas Japanese cars had it on the right.  The idea was that gases are not emitted directly onto a footpath. Again, the standard never made it into the Type Approval Regulations and now manufacturers locate the tail pipe wherever its most convenient.

Edited by KhaoYai

23 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You will note that at one time most Euro cars had their tail pipes on the left whereas Japanese cars had it on the right.  The idea was that gases are not emitted directly onto a footpath

9718148-1974-jaguar-xj12-std.jpg

Or the XJ series where the pipes are angled outwards so as not get exhaust fumes all over whomever is accessing the boot/trunk.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Or the XJ series where the pipes are angled outwards so as not get exhaust fumes all over whomever is accessing the boot/trunk.

Yes, and cars having twin pipes was one of the reasons the manufacturers gave when campaigning to have exhaust positions left out of the legislation.

I note that's a US spec XJ - the ugly side repeater lamps!

Edited by KhaoYai