How security failures enabled Trump mob to storm U.S. Capitol

snoop1130

I think the Washington Post had a more telling take on the debacle:

Capitol breach prompts urgent questions about security failures

The storming of the U.S. Capitol by a mob of President Trump’s supporters on Wednesday was a disastrous failure of security: In a city on high alert, in a building with its own 2,000-officer police department, people forced their way into the sanctums of American democracy with nothing more than flagpoles, riot shields and shoves.

Nobody stopped them — and some officers were captured on video appearing to stand back as rioters streamed inside.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/capitol-breach-security-failures/2021/01/06/e1e09b80-5061-11eb-b96e-0e54447b23a1_story.html

And what kinds of things should be looked at in whatever investigation is to come:

"But other police seemed to stand by, observing the disorder instead of stopping it: One image posted on social media showed an officer taking a selfie with one of the intruders, and a video seemed to show officers opening the security fence to let Trump supporters closer.

Police did not appear to try to detain the rioters, allowing them to leave unhindered."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

On Twitter, starting on Jan. 1, there were 1,480 posts from accounts related to the QAnon conspiracy theory movement that referenced Trump’s rally on Jan. 6

I first read about QAnon I thought it was a Qatar Airlines boarding pass for a non stop flight .. but then I seen shamen Buffalo Bill , the dude with the face paint , Tatt's and buffalo horns who by all accounts is a head shamen for QAnon inside the Congress building barking at the moon .. the only thing missing from the pic' was a crazy horse .. he'll be needing all his mystical mysticism when law enforcement come thru' his door early morning to take him in for his part in it .. shame that .. 

Some movement.  The chief of the Capitol police has resigned. The sargent at arms will soon.  And more heads will roll. 

They were under prepared even though they knew what was coming.  Violent domestic terrorists.  I think some were working with them to allow entry.

Sadly, one of the policemen just died. That makes 5 deaths so far.  Blood that is on the hands of Trump and his enablers.  Remember their names.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

There's been lots of speculation that Trump might resign in order for Pence to pardon him. That seems less likely now but I wouldn't put it past President Pence to do just that.

All of Trump's lawyers have been advising him that a pardon from Pence, one way or another, is the smart move, since a self-pardon probably would not hold up in court.  If Trump does pardon himself, which is what I expect, it will only be because Pence wasn't willing to go along with the scheme.  Pence will have noticed how the Nixon pardon ended Ford's political career.

7 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

All of Trump's lawyers have been advising him that a pardon from Pence, one way or another, is the smart move, since a self-pardon probably would not hold up in court.  If Trump does pardon himself, which is what I expect, it will only be because Pence wasn't willing to go along with the scheme.  Pence will have noticed how the Nixon pardon ended Ford's political career.

I'd tend to agree.  Pence has been incredibly loyal to Trump, sometimes embarrassingly so.  But Trump has treated him badly these last few days and it hasn't gone unnoticed.  It should be obvious to Pence by now that he's just another minion to Trump.  

[During the chaos, some of the rioters could be heard screaming, "where's Mike Pence?"according to the source close to the vice president who spoke to CNN.]

["Was [Trump] concerned at all that an angry mob that he commanded to march on the Capitol might injure the vice president or his family?" the source said, going on to say that Trump and his allies made Pence a "scapegoat" for his 2020 loss.]

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-didnt-check-pence-safety-after-inciting-capitol-mob-2021-1

Compared to Portland, where protestors who came close to government buildings were treated quite harshly, this reeks of favoritism toward the white Trump crowd. How can the capital building, with congress in session, not be considered a far greater security threat, than a nearly empty government building in Portland? Something smells fishy here. And considering that the capital police force has 2,000 cops, and they knew this protest was about to take place, why were they not better prepared? Was that deliberate? 

And as far as charging his rioters with sedition, I have no issue with that. But, only a small percentage of the ones who broke into the capital building were arrested. No doubt the capital police failed miserably. But, was it a deliberate failure? And if so, should they be charged with a crime? 

With Trump, it is an astonishing thing, to witness a man who was already psychologically unstable, come completely unhinged. He is rambling and incoherent in his speech now, utterly desperate, and increasingly dangerous. There should be some national security laws in place, that allow Trump to be locked up in jail, until the 20th. He is a dangerous man, and a threat to the nation. 

• Like 2

Pelosi will impeach Trump this week.  McConnell will refuse to hold a trial in the Senate which the Dems will let him decide.  Eventually, Schumer will become Majority Leader and will hold the trial, but they won't get 17 Republican senators to convict.

However, it is now a certainty that Atty Gen Garland will indict Trump for sedition and probably other crimes, which charge will test Trump's self-pardon in the Supreme Court.  The SC will declare the self-pardon illegitimate.

Trump will flee the country to avoid imprisonment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

But matt gaetz said it was antifa terrorists.

I see trump has a new vid, throwing them under the bus as usual. Incites them to riot then says they will pay.

Trump made that video only to try to head off removal from office.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Excellent news. Would love to see these hooligans arrested, tried, convicted and imprisoned. That is the least they deserve for their total foolishness. 

There is plenty of footage, so it's going to be an easy job to find those who entered the Capitol. 

I support protests no matter which side protest because that's a very important right in a democracy, but some protesters just crossed a line and should face the consequences. 

I don't know what they were thinking. 

Did they seriously think they could start a revolution or change the outcome by using violence and gaining entrance to the Capitol.