Big Bang Theory’s Jim Parsons weighs in on straight actors playing gay characters

snoop1130

Big Bang Theory’s Jim Parsons weighs in on straight actors playing gay characters

By Annabel Nugent

bb-ks-33.jpg

Jim Parsons as Michael and Matt Bomer as Donald (Netflix)

Jim Parsons has offered his opinion on the casting of straight actors in LGBTQ+ roles.

During an interview with The LA Times, Parsons opened up about LGBTQ+ representation in film, as well as the debate surrounding whether straight actors should portray gay characters.

“There’s definitely this spectrum: I think the fight, as it were, is not about having only gay people play the gay parts but to ensure that all parts are open to all actors,” said Parsons.

The 47-year-old continued: “It’s important that gay characters are portrayed as well-rounded and completely human individuals.”

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/big-bang-theory-s-jim-parsons-weighs-in-on-straight-actors-playing-gay-characters-the-fight-is-to-ensure-that-all-parts-are-open-to-all-actors-b1783701.html

• Like 1

as i understand him hes saying all actors for all parts.seems very reasonable.i am confused somewhat at the different messages coming from media though-we see that people of different races cant play the parts of other races,makes sense too.for instance a white man playing martin luther king would obviously be dumb and offensive.but i see BBC does that ,troy,achilles part was played by a black actor ,offensive cultural appropriation and the new series set in georgian england-  bridgerton on netflix has many aristocrats as black,the pop of black people in england at the time was very very small.less than a 10enth of 1% and most were poor and lived around liverpool and bristol,some emigrated to the poor areas of east london looking for work.this is not history ,this is a political agenda.this is disturbing.it would be totally rediculous to have whites playing the parts of say japanese whites in the 1700s.there wernt any.they need to be held to account,we cant have equality  and apply a law or credo to one group but not another that in itself is discriminatory .the BBC seems to be the worse offender in britain,why?its hypocrisy of the lowest kind.

Edited by rupert the bear
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/7/2021 at 9:21 PM, Jingthing said:

Definitely open up casting competition for any part to all! Seems like a no brainer.

Agreed!

I am a gay actor. I’ve had hundreds of acting jobs. 

I’ve played maybe three gay characters. 

Gay roles in the English-language theatre are few and far between. I could never make a living if I played only gay roles. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midzo said:

Agreed!

Gay roles in the English-language theatre are few and far between. I could never make a living if I played only gay roles. 

Exactly. 

I imagine there would be more upset if gay people were told they were not allowed to play straight people! 

1 hour ago, tgw said:

why is this even an issue ??

Well I do understand how these kinds of things can be an issue.

But not for sexual orientation.

I'm sure the vast majority of good actors can play any sexual orientation. 

But what about something like a Downs syndrome character?

An actor with Downs syndrome won't be able to play characters without Downs syndrome.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, midzo said:

Agreed!

but but but.... what about sexual orientation appropriation?!!!

rats!  that won't fit on a bumper sticker!

well, in that case good for you, and good luck in your career.

Like several posters here, I initially thought Parsons was stating that gay parts should only go to gay actors. I was going to state that policy could also go the other way, and that after achieving fame and fortune as a straight character he was being very hypocritical.

Then I read the full article  and noted he actually said - "ensure that all parts are open to all actors” 

So, another non-story that several here have tried to switch to being about race. 

On 1/7/2021 at 6:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

I think the fight, as it were, is not about having only gay people play the gay parts but to ensure that all parts are open to all actors

Sounds reasonable.  It would be hard for a gay actor who rose to fame by playing a straight guy to say any different.

Parts should be open to all actors gay or not. They are actors for crying out loud. I mean if they play a bad guy in a film does that mean they have to be bad guys for real. Why would a gay guy not be able to play a straight character too. 

I don't really get this. Seems an over reaction of some gays that seem to think these parts should be reserved for them. 

Not this guy.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But what about something like a Downs syndrome character?

An actor with Downs syndrome won't be able to play characters without Downs syndrome.

I still don't get it.

Why make an issue from the obvious?

tall people can't play roles for short people and vice-versa.

Just now, Jingthing said:

I'm not making up that issue. Do some research and get back to me. Or not.

I don't claim you are making up the issue, I genuinely wonder why it bothers people, why do they waste thoughts on something trivial and straightforward ?

14 hours ago, tgw said:

why is this even an issue ??

Because it's 2021 and everyone's decided that it's much easier to get parts, jobs, the upper hand in life, if you just play the discrimination card. Failing that, you can make yourself really noticed by refusing to go by he/she/him/her and instead use plural possesive pronouns as a singular. Stupid in so many ways. 

There're real problems to solve, and real people who are actually facing discrimination. Enough of this nonsense.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:22 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

the time of the best person for the movie has long gone with generation SNOWFLAKE

endangered species in the world soon:  white straight male with own thinking mind

Helps if you read the article before posting...Parsons is saying roles should go to the best actor.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

There’s definitely this spectrum: I think the fight, as it were, is not about having only gay people play the gay parts but to ensure that all parts are open to all actors,” said Parsons.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1