Voip

princealbert

My telephone provider has now informed me the broadband is available in my area :D so now i can hopefully cut my 10-12,000 baht a month phone bill down by getting a VOIP provider.

Now i am no techy so would like to hear from people that know "What to do next" apart from the obvious dont use the phone ! :o Unfortunately i have to call my business in the Uk every day sometimes for long periods.

I should get my broadband router next week.

So here's my questions

Recommendations as to who are the best VOIP providers ?

Do i buy VOIP box locally or get from VOIP provider ?

Can i use my house phone/do i need a different type of phone ?

Downloading software :D whats all that about ?

Sorry if these sound like stupid question but as i said i am no technical expert and would like suggestions, experiances and a liitle help with this please

Or maybe is there someone out there that can come and help me do this "for a fee of coarse" ?

Many thanks in advance :D

I use Skype. Software is a free download. They ask for a 10 Euro (or USD) deposit on the account to start- I paid with PayPal. The only hardware is a little earbud/mike that I bought at Pantip Plaza on Chang Klan- cost about 200 B.

As long as you have internet (even dial-up) it works fine. Spoke with my sister in California last night for 45 minutes- she had just installed Skype on her computer. Cost of call- Zero! When you call a land line or a mobile (known as SkypeOut) there is a nominal charge. Calls from here to US are 2.1 US cents per minute. The only advantage I can see for signing up with an in country VoIP "provider" is perhaps the package plans they offer- flat rate for unlimited calls per month. And, if you are absolutely stuck on the concept of holding a handset in your hand, they offer all kinds of expensive phone gadgets and gismos. I don't see the point, honestly, unless you live on the phone all day long, or you are someone who likes to pace about the room while talking on a cordless handset. Just my 2 satangs worth. Hope this helps :o

Advantages of Skype: It's completely free for Skype-to-Skype calls, i.e. when your staff in the UK are also on their computer and on Skype and have a headset/microphone. For calling regulat phones in the UK it is very cheap also; indeed just put a $10 credit in and the per-minute costs are very low. (See www.skype.com)

Disadvantages of Skype: You need to be on your computer to make calls, and for people to call you on Skype.

Proper VOIP on the other hand gives you an actual phone (i.e. it looks like a phone) that you however plug into your ADSL/network box. (So don't get a VOIP headset that just connects to your computer using a USB cable; then you'd STILL need to keep your computer running all the time) After setting it up it doesn't require keeping your computer on, in fact after a little while you won't even realize anymore that it isn't a regular phone.

Now, the VOIP subscription you can get anywhere in the world, it's not specifically a Thai thing. Just google around and pick a provider. Then it's just a matter of finding an IP phone. (The actual phone..) :o

For example: http://www.voiptalk.org/

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Disadvantages of Skype: You need to be on your computer to make calls, and for people to call you on Skype.

Not entirely true. You can get portable phones that you connect to your computer, which allow you to make or answer calls when away from your desk. You can also subscribe to "Skype In" a service giving you a local number in the city of your choice overseas. People who call that number then get put through first to your computer, second to a land line or mobile you designate. You pay the normal Skype cost of the call. My children call a London number to get me on my mobile here.

I agree, Skype is the way to go. I talk to friends and family overseas for hours....for free! And if they are on Skype on their end, the sound quality is so clear it is surreal. If I call a regular phone it costs pennies. Check it out.

Skype does have Cordless phones...no computer required...also WiFi phones...no computer required..they have cordless handsets...headsets...speakerphones...they have skype Voicemail and also great products and options for businesses now.

Like p1p said SkypeIn is super with a local phone that friends...customers can dial to save them on long distance...and SkypeOut for calls to landlines is amazingly cheap, I can call the US and talk for close to an hour for less than a couple of dollars, it's the way to go I think!

As an aside, my cell phone seems to be dying and so I was looking at phones on the web today. Turns out that Nokia's E65 actually does WiFi VOIP.. How cool is that, a nice phone that does basically everything AND can call for free/cheap through the internet!

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/March07/4472.htm

It costs about 16K baht in Thailand, so personally though I think I'll go for the E50, which lacks WiFi but is half the price.

I have been using voipdiscount for over 1yr. Accounts are setup online, you pay 10 euros for 120 freedays calls. Calls to most landlines in the world are free including, Thailand, Australia, France, UK, Usa, Canada, calls to mobiles in Thailand, USA, Canada, Australia and many other countries are free too.

You can download the software from voipdiscount.com, you can also find the rates chart too.

You can use voipdiscount via USB phone, headset or from you landline phone.