Any pick-up recommendation?

heiri007

Heart goes for the Ranger Wildtrak - great ride, me likes the clean interior and overall feel and looks and can throw my bike in the back. For a 2-liter diesel, not too shabby!

Isuzu's latest 3-liter V-Cross feels bit outdated with an interior design and display menu like in older times.

Also rode the new Toyota Cross hybrid SUV - it's a clean smooth ride, great fuel economy, yet while getting in to a Ranger I seem to look forward to the drive. The Toyota is a drive, not more.

Not yet tried any Hilux whereas the Navara 2.3-liter Bi-Turbo makes many things right, but compared to the Ranger the ride is stiff and harsh.

Mazda will announce its newest pickup by the end of this month - maybe the looks and feels of the Ford make me delusional, but seems to be a solid offer with better fuel economics and a "smaller" engine that say the Honda CR-V petrol 2.4.

Of course the Honda is much more premium - but am riding a CR-V since more than a decade, feel like a change, like something different and new, to venture out and discover more of this country.

Yet, Ford might announce a Ranger redesign by the end of the year? The Wildtrak is marketed as "New" - it's cosmetics. Sales staff though say no way Ranger is getting an update soon, Everest however yes.

Edited by heiri007

The new mitsubishi 4-door pick-up probably would beat most of the brands. Don't take my word but you should test drive before making a decision. Just short-list 2 or 3 brands model and see which one you like. I'm pretty sure you'll like the mitsubishi because of comfort, handling and turning radius is great.

• 11 months later...

Toyota Vigo and Isuzu pick ups are virtually identical mechanically.

Likewise, Ford  Ranger and Mazda BT500s.

I have had a Mazda BT500 manual transmission. She handled so well. Miss the feel of driving her.

I have a Ford Ranger now (auto transmission). Can't complain. Working fine at 180,000km on the clock.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:32 PM, heiri007 said:

Yet, Ford might announce a Ranger redesign by the end of the year? The Wildtrak is marketed as "New" - it's cosmetics. Sales staff though say no way Ranger is getting an update soon, Everest however yes.

Sales staff are not the best source of new model info.  https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-ford-ranger-design-and-engineering-how-new-is-it/

12 hours ago, 2009 said:

Toyota Vigo and Isuzu pick ups are virtually identical mechanically.

Likewise, Ford  Ranger and Mazda BT500s.

Toyota and Isuzu are separate designs.

Ford and Mazda shared major components in previous generation pickups but the new Mazda is now based on Isuzu. 

Apparently, future Ford and VW pickups will share major components.  Nissan and Mitsubishi also plan to share components, so the Navara and Triton will eventually become cousins. 

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 10:18 AM, itsari said:

I agree that pickup trucks are work vehicles . Yet they are dressed up as sports cars with a speed capability that many drivers here in Thailand take to the maximum with fatal consequences . I think the speed should be controlled on these type of vehicles to 100 km per hour . 

Applying a speed restriction that is less than the road speed limit is extremely dangerous.

On 1/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, heiri007 said:

New generation Rangers will be in the Thai showrooms late April.

Wildtrak is getting a twin turbo 3.0 V6 diesel.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Applying a speed restriction that is less than the road speed limit is extremely dangerous.

All countries have speed restrictions on commercial vehicles . Pick up trucks in my opinion are just that . 

Restrictions are made for safety .

Just now, itsari said:

All countries have speed restrictions on commercial vehicles . Pick up trucks in my opinion are just that . 

Restrictions are made for safety .

Commercial vehicles typically have a sign posted lower speed limit to passenger vehicles (4 door pickups are registered and taxed as a passenger vehicle).

your opinion seems to be confused between restrictions and limits.

I have (and still do) worked for a company that produces pick-up accessories for 21 years, which does not make me an expert but I can offer the preferences for the pick-up market in the regions that we deal in.

In Australia & New Zealand the biggest seller is the Toyota (inner rail for a lifestyle vehicle and outer rail for a workstyle).

In SE Asia the Toyota is the biggest seller, which is the same for Africa.

Middle East is mainly Toyota but Israel is Isuzu.

Europe is split between the Toyota and Ford.

For the UK we ship around 8 x 40'HQ containers of goods each month and I would say that around 80% is for Ford.

Russia is also a Ford stronghold.

Because of their tax laws, the Evil Spawn French mainly buy space cabs and they opt for the Toyota space cab.

Out of our other main European dealers, Spain - Toyota, Benelux- even mix, Romania - Toyota, Hungary - Toyota/Ford

The Nordic countries seem to buck the trend, opting for the Mitsu and Volkswagen Amarok.

While we do make the full range of our products for Nissan, it is not dominant in any of our markets.

The Isuzu D-Max is in third place fro the accessories that we make/sell.

As Toyota and Ford are fairly even in their pros and cons, the wise move would be to see which one offers the best deal.

Me personally, I now drive a saloon car as I would have no use for a pick-up but I would go for a Toyota Rocco if I wanted to go back to pick-ups.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Commercial vehicles typically have a sign posted lower speed limit to passenger vehicles (4 door pickups are registered and taxed as a passenger vehicle).

your opinion seems to be confused between restrictions and limits.

That is my point , pickup trucks should be limited in speed as a commercial vehicle . Plus the speed is restricted with governors as other commercial vehicles are in many countries . 

Pickup trucks are not stable at high speed 

12 minutes ago, itsari said:

That is my point , pickup trucks should be limited in speed as a commercial vehicle . Plus the speed is restricted with governors as other commercial vehicles are in many countries . 

Pickup trucks are not stable at high speed 

Your point is to physically limit the speed of a vehicle to a speed less than the road limit, that is what you started dribbling on about and is extremely dangerous.

The drum you should be beating is the lack of police enforcement of the current road laws.

pickup trucks loaded correctly are stable at sign posted speed limits.

anywho, thats enough from me on the matter.

Have a great day, Bye.

Edited by Ralf001

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I don't think the 3.0 is confirmed for Thailand as yet. I've only seen the 2.0 mentioned in the press. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I don't think the 3.0 is confirmed for Thailand as yet. I've only seen the 2.0 mentioned in the press. 

Yeah only the 2.0 in official releases.

My Mia Noi, her brother is a Powertrain Engineer at the factory.

He tells me the Wildtrak for Thailand will get the diesel 3.0 V6, as well as the 2.0 Bi engine.

Entirely possible he is just feeding me porky pies because I expressed interest in a Ranger with V6. Which  Iam sort of.... If I cannot get a coil sprung SWB Ranger with the 2.0 Bi engine.

My Brother in Law has the Toyota Hilux Revo Rocco.... I like the look of it. 

He has a restaurant and also does a lot of Triathlons .. so its great for lugging around masses of food from the markets etc and then for carrying his bikes and kit. 

We did a car switch for a couple of days... His Rocco has a bed mounted bike rack installed for 3x bikes which was a lot more convenient than throwing the ‘bike mount’ on the back of our Mazda CX-5. 

That was were the enjoyment ended... Driving these vehicles (pick-ups) is an extremely unrefined experience. 

Every bump and bounce was exaggerated, I was quite surprised at how poorly the pick-up rode. 

We’ve just covered a lot of KM’s in our CX-5, we’d have been exhausted in a Pickup.

I did see two Ford Raptors out on the road and really like the look of them... but a pick up for a first vehicle is definitely a no-no.... primarily as we live in Bangkok. 

I think IF I lived somewhere like Phuket I’d want a pickup and can simply throw stuff in the back, bikes, SUP, or surfboard etc.... but in Bangkok a car is a better option and an SUV a more practical compromise. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

April, not earlier? They seem to heavily advertise the launch event for Thailand which makes me think it's coming out earlier.

Absolutely love the design, interior and the new efficient 2 liter diesel. 

Also it shares architecture with the VW Amarok which should be assuring in terms of driving comfort and quality. 

My company is looking for a farm work vehicle in Q1 2022. 

I absolutely vouch for the new Ford Ranger.

Currently I was looking casually for a extended cab 4x4 pick up. Almost impossible. It's either single cab with no extras or full cab in top grade not in our price range.

Also here Ford offers the only extended cab 4x4 with the current Ranger. 

31 minutes ago, CLW said:

April, not earlier? They seem to heavily advertise the launch event for Thailand which makes me think it's coming out earlier.

Currently I was looking casually for a extended cab 4x4 pick up. Almost impossible. It's either single cab with no extras or full cab in top grade not in our price range.

End of Q1 is when it will be available, thats what Iam told anyways.

Extended Cab (Open Cab) is available 4x4 in the XLT spec, 6 speed manual Bt.809,000.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

End of Q1 is when it will be available, thats what Iam told anyways.

Extended Cab (Open Cab) is available 4x4 in the XLT spec, 6 speed manual Bt.809,000.

spacer.png

Still a hefty price tag of 140k more for the extended cab.

Triton seems to have the best engine and chassis imo. 

Still convinced the new ranger is better. 

Company anyway does finance so the price might be not that important.

Might be hard to convince them tough why to spend more money when another cheaper car can do the job, too.

Well, they most likely won't ever drive the car but have the powers to pay for it ????

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Brother in Law has the Toyota Hilux Revo Rocco.... I like the look of it. 

He has a restaurant and also does a lot of Triathlons .. so its great for lugging around masses of food from the markets etc and then for carrying his bikes and kit. 

We did a car switch for a couple of days... His Rocco has a bed mounted bike rack installed for 3x bikes which was a lot more convenient than throwing the ‘bike mount’ on the back of our Mazda CX-5. 

That was were the enjoyment ended... Driving these vehicles (pick-ups) is an extremely unrefined experience. 

Every bump and bounce was exaggerated, I was quite surprised at how poorly the pick-up rode. 

We’ve just covered a lot of KM’s in our CX-5, we’d have been exhausted in a Pickup.

I did see two Ford Raptors out on the road and really like the look of them... but a pick up for a first vehicle is definitely a no-no.... primarily as we live in Bangkok. 

I think IF I lived somewhere like Phuket I’d want a pickup and can simply throw stuff in the back, bikes, SUP, or surfboard etc.... but in Bangkok a car is a better option and an SUV a more practical compromise. 

Did you check the tyre pressures....?  ????

• Like 1

Take a peek at the MG Extender, starts @ ฿559k.  Competitively priced if not wanting all the bells & whistles.  Tops out @ 1,039,000 if wanting.

mg.png

A rebadged Maxus T60, so been around long enough to work the kinks out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxus_T60

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxus_T70#MG_Extender

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 12:23 PM, KhunLA said:

Take a peek at the MG Extender, starts @ ฿559k.  Competitively priced if not wanting all the bells & whistles.  Tops out @ 1,039,000 if wanting.

mg.png

That must be the fugliest truck front end design ever.....????

Or is it a barbecue storage hook up....????

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, CLW said:

Absolutely love the design, interior and the new efficient 2 liter diesel. 

Also it shares architecture with the VW Amarok which should be assuring in terms of driving comfort and quality. 

My company is looking for a farm work vehicle in Q1 2022. 

I absolutely vouch for the new Ford Ranger.

There won't be any 2 liter diesel for the Thai market...almost guaranteed. 

On 12/25/2021 at 12:23 PM, KhunLA said:

mg.png

The high ground clearance 2WD Extender is already more expensive than a Triton or Ranger 4WD. If I wanted the MG, 4WD only available in the top spec trim. Therefore not an option.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There won't be any 2 liter diesel for the Thai market...almost guaranteed. 

It's about time to replace the outdated 2.2 Duratorq. For the new ranger there will be only 2 liter either with one or two turbos and the 3 liter V6. Can't see the latter in the entry range or commercial models.

Engine downsizing is real. In Europe, if you still insist on ICE engine not electric, most are three cylinder now.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 9:47 AM, transam said:

That must be the fugliest truck front end design ever.....????

Or is it a barbecue storage hook up....????

I thought exactly the same as you, but I looked at one in the showroom the other day while waiting for my truck to be serviced. It didn't look so bad in real life, it didn't look so big. I still don't like the chrome. I'm sure there is an option to change it for black.

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'd say there's very little possibility of a V6 engine here in Thailand...if so, maybe on the top spec Raptor only.

Raptor will be available in either Petrol or diesel V6 engines, not sure if the 2.0 bi-turbo will be "base spec" Raptor though.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

It's about time to replace the outdated 2.2 Duratorq. For the new ranger there will be only 2 liter either with one or two turbos and the 3 liter V6. Can't see the latter in the entry range or commercial models.

Engine downsizing is real. In Europe, if you still insist on ICE engine not electric, most are three cylinder now.

2.2 (and 3.2) are gone from the new model.

Entry range and commercial models get the 2.0 single turbo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CLW said:

The high ground clearance 2WD Extender is already more expensive than a Triton or Ranger 4WD. If I wanted the MG, 4WD only available in the top spec trim. Therefore not an option.

That is how I view the MG line.

Factor in the unknown durability, compare prices, sit in one and compare fit and finish and quality of materials ...

Not yet.

Add to that the economic situation in China now, major manufacturers pulling out, car market in a shambles due to Gov't 'incentives' - not the best time to buy one.

Toyo, Mitsu, Izusu - proven brands world wide, why would you look anywhere else ?

14 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

For value, I do not think you can beat an Isuzu here.

Not necessarily. I was thinking like that, too. But for my case, a single cab 4WD drive the Triton or Ranger are cheaper and also more sophisticated in terms of chassis and engine build.

I haven't made a test drive yet, but getting closer to the Ford Ranger SC 2.2 4WD. Shares some components with the VW Amarok and top seller worldwide.

Here are the prices for comparison: Mitsu 654k, Ford 649k, Isuzu 675k.

Not all popular vehicles here in Thailand are the best ones in class. I guess it has also to do with how lenient the finance company from each brand is.

I would guess 95% of all cars here are financed.

Same goes for tractors. All Kubota but they are <deleted>. John Deere just little more expensive but much more features and higher quality.

Again, I blame it on the finance....