Pattaya: Top hotels serve breakfast out front - response from public has surprised them

rooster59

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Top hotels serve breakfast out front - response from public has surprised them

this doesn't surprise me at all..what surprises me is, though not too many, but there still are some very stubborn people in the world who doesn't mind traveling during the most restrictive, most unpleasant, most miserable  and quite dangerous conditions...

Edited by pattayadude
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

So you think it should simply be left up to the good will and donations of ordinary people to feed and house the displaced?

What about the Thai government open up their cheque book?  It's happening all around the world, but not here.  

While their people are becoming impoverished, the Thai government is investing in space travel.  How ridiculous.   

If they give all the money away how are they going to pay for 3 sums they don't need or send Somchai to the moon!

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A representative of the hotel said they were doing 12-13,000 servings a day.

that's 17 per minute over a 12 hour working day, so cut that down to a 6 hour breakfast window and its 34 per minute

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

Do you want the government setting up food stalls and selling food?

The Thai government should be looking after its citizens, like what we are seeing in other countries. If that means supplying food and shelter, so be it. 

What have they done here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

The Thai government should be looking after its citizens, like what we are seeing in other countries. If that means supplying food and shelter, so be it. 

What have they done here?

Again, nobodies disputing that. But they're also not falling (well, some aren't) for a PR puff piece about a couple of hotels selling some food and drinks to help their bottom lines and using ... questionable ... figures.

There is no connection whatsoever between this non-story and the response of the government. You would, on the other hand, have a point if the story was about people like a friend and a group of other small businesses who have continuously arranged free food relief throughout the current situation including handing out 1000 Kg of rice yesterday along with  noodles, eggs, water and other sundries.

https-scontent-fmel4-1-fna-fbcdn-net-v-t1-0-9-137227464_842437886550899_4297399602458283779_n-jpg-_n-c-00TFz9AgZVwAX8i2Uf5-_nc_ht-scontent-fmel4-1-fna-oh-5fb5d4.png.e44c9b924d900739b3fd2b585a9f35f1.png 

Edited by Salerno

50 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Again, nobodies disputing that. But they're also not falling (well, some aren't) for a PR puff piece about a couple of hotels selling some food and drinks to help their bottom lines and using ... questionable ... figures.

There is no connection whatsoever between this non-story and the response of the government. You would, on the other hand, have a point if the story was about people like a friend and a group of other small businesses who have continuously arranged free food relief throughout the current situation including handing out 1000 Kg of rice yesterday along with  noodles, eggs, water and other sundries.

https-scontent-fmel4-1-fna-fbcdn-net-v-t1-0-9-137227464_842437886550899_4297399602458283779_n-jpg-_n-c-00TFz9AgZVwAX8i2Uf5-_nc_ht-scontent-fmel4-1-fna-oh-5fb5d4.png.e44c9b924d900739b3fd2b585a9f35f1.png 

Many Thai's live hand to mouth. 

For those Thai's who are now unemployed, sourcing food has become a main priority each day.

They can rightly feel abandoned by their government.  Government agencies should have been mobilized with food parcels, or subsistence money given to those in need.     

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

They seemed to be doing a good trade today, the Dusit and a couple of them further up. Only noticeable activity around the streets in town today that I saw. Whatever they are cooking up it seems to be popular with the public. 

Woodland Hotel still serving meals outside at 5pm. Seems many are driving there so it isn't just people who live nearby who are customers.

Local small food sellers with carts are probably going to lose business as well as those restaurants in the area that have stayed open. Big dog eats little dog.

21 hours ago, pattayadude said:

hope not????

When times are hard, Thai businesses ignore the supply/demand model and uniformly raise prices so compounding the downward spiral.  What's wrong with high-class resorts lowering their (sometimes outrageous) prices to attract new customers?

I visit Bangkok four times a year.  I looked in vain to upgrade my normal hotel range at a reduced price.  When I couldn't find any reductions I tried Airb&b and now my trade will be solely with them in the future.

21 hours ago, Salerno said:

No, and it has nothing to do with the OP which is about organisations selling food, not giving it away. Do you want the government setting up food stalls and selling food?

Yes, but very cheaply. But I expect local businesses will be unhappy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, potless said:

I dont believe those numbers.  3 thousand or more in passing trade and 8 thousand or more deliveries each day? 

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Wow.
12,000 servings per day at one hotel ? I think someone is taking liberties with the numbers there.

That is around 16 servings per minute, every minute, for 12 straight hours. As they say 70% are delivery orders that would be 8,400 deliveries a day. Think about it. That works out to 700 deliveries - per - hour. If every "Grab" driver (or whoever) did 4 trips an hour, that would take 175 drivers at that one location to keep up with the demand.

Not to mention serving over 3,600 people in person (an average of 5 per minute, every minute, for 12 hours). 

From a place out in Na Jomtien. (The Ravindra is out between the Ambassador Hotel and the new Highway 7 extension that runs through Huay Yai.)

20 hours ago, pattayadude said:

dream on!...maybe 12-13!

20 hours ago, steve187 said:

that's 17 per minute over a 12 hour working day, so cut that down to a 6 hour breakfast window and its 34 per minute

17 hours ago, findlay13 said:

???? This is Thailand  though.They are always very liberal with the use of zeros in their accounting

Just another bad and misleading translation. 

The link says 12-13,000 pieces of patango, not servings as claimed in the translation. 

Nobody has just one piece of patango. I usually have about 5-10. 

The only one claiming 12-13,000 serves is the translator. 

Natai Beach notes that these mistranslations nearly always happen in a way that attracts comments such as the one from  @findlay13 . 

Natai Beach strongly suspects these mistranslations are not accidental because of their consistency. They never reflect positively on Thailand or its people. 
Some are very subtle. 

Edited by Natai Beach

3 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Just another bad and misleading translation. 

The link says 12-13,000 pieces of patango, not servings as claimed in the translation. 

The only one claiming 12-13,000 serves is the translator. 

Beat me to it.  They're listing pcs. sold, not meals per day.

• Thanks 1