Netizens debate: Why are people in Thailand still being asked for so many photocopies?

webfact

You don't know the half of it, complicated court cases are postponed by judges for typos in court documents as little as an wrong spelling and incorrect apostrophes and other pronunciation marks as i'm told by my friend who is a court lawyer, sending all parties to retype in recopy everything...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Henk Langeweg said:

I wonder where it al goes? Is it scanned and stored digitally or after processing in the waste bin?

I know immigration re-uses it by passing you a paper which contains other peoples

private information on the reverse side of it!

Make sense?In Thailand?Your call.

• Like 1

I just posted the same grievance in another thread related to an experience I had at immigration extending my visa where I was "missing photocopies" The fact is they HAVE digital copies of most things they are photocopying but it's like some officious bureaucrats don't feel the job is complete unless a photocopy is made.

17 hours ago, wasabi said:

With the exception of air pollution I love most things in Thailand. But going to immigration is often where my happiness goes to die:

While Thailand lags my home country the USA in some ways -- technologically they have come a long way. Therefore I cannot understand the government's and in particular immigration's obsession with paperwork and photo copies. If they need me to be there in person to sign the TM7 form, that I can accept. But the rest of the entire process should be possible to do online and digital. So many forms, so many copies. What do they do with all of this paper? I sincerely want to know?

Edited by wasabi

9 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

U.S. Immigration and Citizenship Service does the same thing.  Every time a form is submitted they require copies of documents already on file. And sometimes multiple copies. 

This has decreased in recent years, but yes they sometimes engage in the same nonsensical photocopying requirements.

• Like 1

They simply don't have available in government the C21st technology required for them to abandon their 1960s bureaucratic habits.

And they're not the only ones. Just look at the wonders of Usofan voting in federal elections. Or the UK inability to track their Covid-infected people. And no doubt myriad other examples worldwide. In general, unless it's for Defence & security purposes, governments always lag way behind the private sector in their use of technology.

2 hours ago, webfact said:
Netizens debate: Why are people in Thailand still being asked for so many photocopies?

9pm.jpg
Thai caption: How can this still be (necessary)?

The habit in Thailand of people being asked for countless paper photocopies is once again in the news.

Thais complain that they have "smart cards" but are still asked for paper photocopies wasting valuable resources for no reason.

Expats in Thailand have similar gripes; they are often asked to reinvent the wheel by constantly being asked for the same copies of passports and the like despite the fact they are all on record.

Now the issue is up front again after a Thai called Suvipan Jampa posted online.

The poster was involved the best part of two decades ago in creating the specs for the smart Thai ID card (bat prachachon) that contains all the data for things from driving licences to social security.

Yet still people are asked for paper photocopies when doing government business.

Suvipan intimated that it was ridiculous after a Twitter post came to their attention in which a person had had to get photocopies in relation to getting benefits related to the pandemic.

Everything should be electronic but still the photocopies are done with every one having to be countersigned for "authenticity".

Often a special ink color is demanded - go figure! 

Soure: Daily News

People trust paper copies, can hold them, touch them etc. I have a back up photo copy of my whole passport..

• Haha 2