Two killed, several injured after ‘drunk’ foreigner crashes into motorcyclists in Hua Hin

webfact

6 hours ago, transam said:

On another note, the truck is a high ride, which means it may not be stable on the road in certain conditions. I notice the new-ish truck has non-standard wheels and tyres, plus the extra height for off road use.

My old high rise truck handbook warned about stability issues because of it's high centre of gravity.

So, this guy may have been caught out....????

You think too much. Everyone (except me) replaces their stock Ranger rims with BF Goodrich treads on black rims.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NobbyClarke said:

Another tragedy for the good people of Thailand.

If the guy is found guilty he will be "the walking dead" in The Bangkok Hilton if he gets that far!!

Let's see how this unfolds.

I can see you're new here.

5 hours ago, Humpy said:

Ford Ranger drivers seem to love driving too fast anyway..... 

Hey! I resemble that remark!

• Haha 2

Isn't it funny how farang criticize Thai drivers everywhere and boast on how good they drive, but then such things happen. As a matter of fact, the only accident (or rather incident) I've ever had myself while driving in Thailand was caused by a (drunk) farang in a motorcycle who rear-ended me while I was stopped waiting for the light and he was changing lights (single line, ofc in the road). 

PS: This coming from a farang, so dont call me racist. Just a rant, sometimes you are queuing at immigration, or the DLT and some other farang looking for conversation starts talking about how bad Thai people drive, and how good he himself drives. Really annoying. Had to vent this out somewhere. 

And for the drive in this news, hope justice is done and if convicted pays the price of such a selfish action.

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1

So what conclusions do we make of this - if he had been Thai a tirade about drink \thai drivers would have followed.

The statistics concerning foreign drivers involved in RTIs seem not to exist. However they mostly live in areas with the highest accident rates. It is unfortunate that so many foreigners in Thailand consider themselves to be superior drivers to Thai people in general. 

I worry that most never adapt to Thai driving conditions ands just believe everyone else is driving badly. The fact is that many never get used to driving on the left and certainly don't know the basics of the Thai Highway Code or even priority rules.

This accident will never be scientifically analysed and all we'll get is a statement of cliches from the RTP and a long legal battle for measly compensation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

You think too much. Everyone (except me) replaces their stock Ranger rims with BF Goodrich treads on black rims.

Pickups as built in Thailand are inherently less sae than other passenger vehicles - they are of archaic construction  have poor centre of gravity characteristics and poor shock absorption characteristics. Once control is lost they can be a deadly missile.

16 hours ago, robblok said:

Some of the expats in Thailand love to imitate the locals and love their drink. A lot of those on the forum. Just look at the howls of displeasure when alcohol is banned for a day.

If guilty send him to jail and then ban him from entering Thailand. 2 people died and if he was drunk its an unforgiveable act.

Foreigners have been named in the Covid outbreak, and we know they are myamese, I think this might be the case here, wait and see. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Foreigners have been named in the Covid outbreak, and we know they are myamese, I think this might be the case here, wait and see. 

Do you seriously think that a Myanmarese guy who can pay for a 1M Baht truck lives in Thailand? Im sure that a Myanmarese who has such money will be happy in Myanmar 

Edited by ctxa

17 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

there was a Brit who killed a guy in mai Kao last year in a Benz. Another one also in a Benz in Chiang mai or rai a few years back. If you google in Thai you will find over 50 examples of foreigners killing Thais on the road because of speeding, drunk or both.

To my knowledge they always buy themselves out of jail. 

Not always, but it happens ...

I see the video, dated 28 Jan 2564 in KaoTaKiab (เขาตะเกียบ)......but cannot find a link on any Thai website talking about the accident......not in the local news, not in ThaiRath newspaper.  Does anyone have a link to the actual story (not the video)?

8 hours ago, impulse said:

True.  But most guys on visa exempt don't buy a vehicle in Thailand.  Screening the long term stays would prevent a lot of the problem. 

But I think there would be a collective shudder of the expat community if they ever decided to stop giving extensions to expats who have DUI's in their past.  A lot of the guys I knew would be out.  Thailand seems to attract a lot of expats who didn't play well back home.

Hi..

9 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

You need to improve your reading comprehension.

The word 'drunk' was in quotation marks. Hence it was reported speech. Which means someone said he was drunk.

Unlike you, I prefer to wait for evidence before convicting.

You know, to me it doesn´t matter if drunk or not. If not drunk it´s sleeping or stupid. 0,1% chance it is related to a special condition.

Same, same! he shouldn´t be on the streets! Lokk at the video, how he drive. If you don´t comprehend that, I can only offer my deepest condolences.

Stop make up excuses for the guy!

14 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

exactly

this is a constant thought in my head whenever i leave the house until i return home again, even if not on the roads

it's true but if it comes I hope it comes quickly and without too much suffering a far worse outcome, for me, is living as a paraplegic RiP 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I see the video, dated 28 Jan 2564 in KaoTaKiab (เขาตะเกียบ)......but cannot find a link on any Thai website talking about the accident......not in the local news, not in ThaiRath newspaper.  Does anyone have a link to the actual story (not the video)?

Yes , very strange, someone must have spent a lot of time cover up the accident.  No mention in any Thai news or on Facebook. 

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Some of the expats in Thailand love to imitate the locals and love their drink. A lot of those on the forum. Just look at the howls of displeasure when alcohol is banned for a day.

If guilty send him to jail and then ban him from entering Thailand. 2 people died and if he was drunk its an unforgiveable act.

I do t suppose you’ve ever noticed the constant and complete disregard motorbike drivers have for traffic laws. You don’t even know if the pick up guy was truly drunk or was given a proper sobriety test. Judge not lest ye judged yourself.

50 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

I do t suppose you’ve ever noticed the constant and complete disregard motorbike drivers have for traffic laws. You don’t even know if the pick up guy was truly drunk or was given a proper sobriety test. Judge not lest ye judged yourself.

Sure motorbike drivers disregard the law, however these guys were on the opposite of the road. Not their fault at all. Totally the fault of the farang (drunk or sober).

If it was just an accident then i hope he has good insurance, if he was drunk i hope the insurance is going to reclaim the money paid to the victims and hope its a lot. Some people need to hit their low before they make changes to their life.

• Like 2

Wow, look how serious foreigners get when one kills a Thai and what should happen. Where is the same seriousness when a Thai kills foreigners? 

This is not about the lives here, because Thai lives don't matter no matter how you look at it.  People die every day on the street and roads here in Thailand and their own government is not going to do anything to improve the safety of it people. 

Some of you knew this person driving this vehicle. You know he drink and drive. You probably do the same but one day you be in the same situation. How hard is to to catch a taxi motorbike if you drink alcohol? 

Whatever justice he gets, he has to live with it. For those that we're killed, they are now in a better place. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

You know, to me it doesn´t matter if drunk or not. If not drunk it´s sleeping or stupid. 0,1% chance it is related to a special condition.

Same, same! he shouldn´t be on the streets! Lokk at the video, how he drive. If you don´t comprehend that, I can only offer my deepest condolences.

Stop make up excuses for the guy!

Drunk or mobile or fallen asleep.....should be hanged, down and quartered....BUT.....he might have had a stroke or heart attack......so as others suggest ......best to wait for the results of a proper, formal investigation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:45 PM, webfact said:

Two killed, several injured after ‘drunk’ foreigner crashes into motorcyclists in Hua Hin

hh1.jpg

At least two people have been killed and several people injured when a foreigner driving a pickup truck at high speed crashed into motorcyclists in Hua Hin.

The horrific accident took place in Khao Takiab at around 5pm on Thursday.

A witness who was on the scene moments after the crash occurred told Thaivisa two people had been killed. 

hh2.jpg

According to another witness, the white Ford Ranger pick up truck was travelling at high speed when the driver lost control, mounted the central reservation and collided with a number of motorcyclists before coming to standstill after crashing into a wall on the opposite side of the road.

Images shared to social media showed multiple people receiving treatment on the roadside and four ambulances in attendance at the scene.

hh3.jpg

The injured were rushed to Hua Hin hospital for further treatment.

It is understood the foreign driver, who has not been named, is in police custody.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-29

Warning: Graphic footage.

Another big payday for the local cops coming up.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:52 PM, keith101 said:

What central reservation , cant see any in the video unless it was further back up the road . Maybe more cctv can show what actually happened .

Is it possible some idiot on a motorbike pulled out in front of to go the wrong way which they do all the time . If indeed he was drunk and caused the accident then throw the book at him .

It won't happen !  My best mate on Koh Samui  was killed by a drunken Russian tourist. He spent a few days in jail and then was silently deported back to Russia. No compensation for my mates widow. We can only guess who got the payout.

23 hours ago, ukrules said:

Indeed, his blood will be tested at the hospital to settle this.

He didn't look drunk from the photos I saw but who does, with all bars currently closed and restaurants not selling alcohol, this guy looked like someone who was driving home from work or from shopping during the afternoon.

The photos I saw showed a few of the dead and injured and a relatively young (compared to the retirees) white guy receiving first aid at the roadside - this may have been the driver but who knows.

They say he was drunk because lots of people on facebook in Thai said 'farang drive too fast, they're very bad and like to drink lots' - that's all the evidence they had as of last night.

I really would not jump to conclusions on this case.

Something clearly went wrong as he ploughed right through them, personally I suspect it's more of a case of driver distraction, perhaps through phone usage or vehicle failure.

I notice the hang him high brigade who know zero about this case already have him convicted - remember - if you ever have an accident your case will be reported as the drunk farang even if you, like many of those who never drink alcohol were involved in the accident.

It wouldn't matter if you've never drank a drop of alcohol in your life - everything said here would be said about you.

Wait for the facts.

My mothers power steering once completely failed whilst driving and she veered off the correct course on the road - luckily there was no other traffic - impossible in Thailand of course?

Had she been drinking ?

11 hours ago, Histavia said:

So what conclusions do we make of this - if he had been Thai a tirade about drink \thai drivers would have followed.

Agreed, although there is an ongoing tirade about ‘Westerners drink driving’.. so not much difference... its just another tirade about a$$holes drink driving.

The statistics concerning foreign drivers involved in RTIs seem not to exist. However they mostly live in areas with the highest accident rates.

True, that would be an interesting stat if placed on a level paying field. i.e. Accidents per 1000 etc... then it would also be interesting to see it split down to nationality. 

It is unfortunate that so many foreigners in Thailand consider themselves to be superior drivers to Thai people in general. 

Many foreigners in Thailand have had better driver education, so it would be expected that they are better drivers with a better understanding of the consequences.

I worry that most never adapt to Thai driving conditions ands just believe everyone else is driving badly.

There's definitely a learning curve, the biggest adaptation is to learn to understand that the person in front of you is capable of absolutely anything and that includes coming to a dead stop in the middle lane on the expressway when travelling at 120kmh. 

The fact is that many never get used to driving on the left and certainly don't know the basics of the Thai Highway Code or even priority rules.

This can be said of many countries where foreigners have come in from driving on opposite sides. 

The Thai Highway code, which is actually called the 'Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522’ very closely matches the British Highway Code (so much is it clearly based on it). 

Additionally, the vast majority of rules are common sense. I would argue that a far greater percentage of foreigners know the road rules in Thailand than Thai’s. 

This accident will never be scientifically analysed and all we'll get is a statement of cliches from the RTP and a long legal battle for measly compensation.

The video footage is damning. There is no doubt about fault. 

There is only doubt about extenuating circumstances or lack there off if the driver is proven drunk.

Speed can readily be established with video analysis.

It should have already been established if the driver was drunk or had a medical condition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many foreigners in Thailand have had better driver education, so it would be expected that they are better drivers with a better understanding of the consequences.

No correlation at all. We foreigners may have had better driver education and be better amazing drivers back in our farangland country. But once you drive in mostly any Asian country, if you continue with your farangland country driving education mindset and farangland rules in mind, you won’t enjoy the road here and you will actually be dangerous and end up causing or suffering an accident. 

Edited by ctxa