UK set to formally apply for trans-Pacific trade bloc membership

rooster59

1 hour ago, sharksy said:

We left the EU because of the Political Interference, it was fine originally as just a trading partnership.

The EU is essentially, the USSR with money.  Now without money, because they won't be getting one of the largest sums from UK.

The Asia Pacific trading block could be a great benefit from Brexit.

We have the best Vaccine rates in Europe, maybe not because of Brexit, but as a consequence of Brexit.  An unexpected bonus already.

The entire trade that UK does with this block right now is about the same as an average sized European nation.    After signing the deal (where some barriers are being removed gradually over the next 10 years), even if the growth of trade is above the average worldwide.... It would never offset (in our lifetime) the trade access lost to the EU.  But then that is not why this is being thrown out there, it is a distraction... and the application for membership in this trading block would likely receive very limited acceptance from current members because it will be seen for what it is.  The UK is not even close to being a Pacific nation.   Maybe the UK would be allowed to sign a trading agreement with the block -- but membership... not likely.

There is only only one nation that is truly missing from the CPTPP and that is the United States... because this trading block was really created to counter-balance the influence in the region by China... and the US is still an important missing piece of the equation.    The UK is too far removed to be of any importance...

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Of course they will be allowed,  same as they tour the US, Asia etc.

Couple of forms for the management team to fill in. No need to make a big drama about it.

And if not the French will just have to indulge themselves on old Charles Trenet tapes.????????

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

It may be why you voted leave. I doubt whether it was the reason most people did.

No-one knows why each person voted the way they did, unless someone is going to spend the time and money asking each person why they voted.

• Like 2

What Boris couldn't do with EU who insist to negotiate FTA with individual countries; Boris snatched on the opportunity for a collective agreement that would raise GDP in member countries by average of 1.1% by 2030 according to the World Bank. Why not?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, candide said:

Not a big deal, as UK already had EU rollover deals with most of them and was negotiating with the others. The key issue is that the US may join the partnership now that Trump has left.

I sincerely hope not, I am an Aussie and American Big Pharma can go to hell so hopefully not. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vogie said:

I don't know why they would want to tour Europe if you confiscate their ham sandwiches. That post reeks of sour grapes, they toured before we joined the EU and I'm sure they'll tour there again, if not it's no great loss, there are other countries to visit where I'm sure they'll be made most welcome. 

With the recent events coming out of the EU it might be a good time to change your PR personel, they have shown just how vindictive they can be. 

I somehow don't think that Genesis would be overly worried about their ham sandwiches. However transporting a huge stage production and the associated crews might give them pause for thought.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, baboon said:

I somehow don't think that Genesis would be overly worried about their ham sandwiches. However transporting a huge stage production and the associated crews might give them pause for thought.

Doubt it.....

• Like 1