Odd Problem: PC Won't Stay Shut-Down

dddave

I have a B-Max-2 mini-PC; very similar to a NUC, running windows 10.

When I want to shut it down, I go through the usual Windows three step shut-down routine and indeed, it shuts down just as it's supposed to including the "Power" light on the computer.

Problem is: after five minutes or so, it spontaneously, with no input from me, turns back on and stays on.  

This happens even if I shut the PC down manually, holding the "Power" button down for about ten seconds.  Again; it goes off, but then back on again five minutes later.

I've gone through every setting I can think off but can find neither reason or solution.

Any ideas?

• Confused 1

pc's have two on buttons. The big one switches on if pressed but switches off if held down when the computer is on.

There is a another little button somewhere which will switch off and restart the machine.

Both buttons are just simple push to make buttons connected to cables which go to the motherboard.

Now if you connect the big button to the reset on the motherboard the behaviour would be as you describe.

• Confused 1

Try to check in BIOS, if you got an option "Wake on LAN" enabled. Possibly some event on your Network might cause this. Otherwise it might be a good idea to unplug the machine or throw the power switch on the power supply to off AFTER the power light went off. Good luck.

• Like 1

My old laptop did the same towards the end of its life. Battery used to get hot so changed the the battery. That worked okay for a while but then the same happened. Repair shop said that certain boards needed changing so might as well buy new.

You could try disabling windows 10 "fast startup" in the power options in control panel and see if that helps. Another cause could be an incomplete windows 10 update, where the system reboots to do some configuration. The last resort would be to reinstall windows 10.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

Try to check in BIOS, if you got an option "Wake on LAN" enabled. Possibly some event on your Network might cause this. Otherwise it might be a good idea to unplug the machine or throw the power switch on the power supply to off AFTER the power light went off. Good luck.

This seems the most likely to me. Bios setting have "Wake On ..." options that can easily cause this behavior.

You could check Event Viewer to see what events are logged when it starts on its own.

A quick way to test if its a network adapter waking up the PC would be to disable the network adapter(s) in Device Manager and see if there's a change in behavior.

Probably the NSA or CIA or FBI or KGB or some other three letter alphabet soup organization is snooping on your PC. It's the new normal, get used to it - are you by any chance an anti vaxxer.......?? or a MAGA? or frequent poster on TVF?

well......that explains it!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, dddave said:

I have a B-Max-2 mini-PC; very similar to a NUC, running windows 10.

When I want to shut it down, I go through the usual Windows three step shut-down routine and indeed, it shuts down just as it's supposed to including the "Power" light on the computer.

Problem is: after five minutes or so, it spontaneously, with no input from me, turns back on and stays on.  

This happens even if I shut the PC down manually, holding the "Power" button down for about ten seconds.  Again; it goes off, but then back on again five minutes later.

I've gone through every setting I can think off but can find neither reason or solution.

Any ideas?

is it shutdown? or sleep mode? or "hibernation" you are pressing when you close it down?

Try again after you have disconnected internet/LAN connections.  See if that works.

Do you run current antivirus SW and use a VPN?  Have you been finding your PC to run slower than before?

Your system may have been hijacked to use your system to mine for bitcoin or conduct other online affairs without your knowing.

• Like 1

it's likely that wake on lan packet

you can check the BIOS or go in the properties for your network card, I did it a long time ago but i reckon it was something like this

Image result for wake on lan packet

just put them all on disabled. my 3BB (or maybe it was True) router kept spamming it to  my computer a few years back and turning it on

Had a similar problem three years ago with a brand new Acer AIO that I bought through Lazada.

Received it promptly, unpacked it, installed it. Perfect. Exactly what I wanted.

But on the very first shutdown it would power down normally but stay shut down (power light OFF) for only three seconds and then restart by itself.

I reinstalled the PC again but same ghost restart.

Thus, if I didn't want to screw Windows by unplugging it while it was shutting down or restarting  I had only three seconds to unplug the PC.

TGF had a hard time persuading the seller/Lazada on the phone that the machine was defective and finally just sent it back by Kerry without further blabla. 

Lazada reimbursed me and I went on to buy a Lenovo AIO.

Edited by jayceenik