VIDEO: Elderly Thai murdered in U.S. in ‘racially motivated’ attack

snoop1130

VIDEO: Elderly Thai murdered in U.S. in ‘racially motivated’ attack

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 19.02.33.png

Image: Screenshot

CCTV footage shows the horrific moment an elderly Thai man was fatally assaulted in San Francisco.

Vicha Ratanapakdee, 84, died on Saturday as a result of injuries he suffered during the attack which took place at around 8.30am on Thursday.

Mr Ratanapakdee had moved to San Francisco to help take care of his grandchildren, his family said.

The shocking broad daylight attack took place as Mr Ratanapakdee was about to head out  on his morning walk.

CCTV footage from a property across the street shows the suspect approach the defenceless Mr Ratanapakdee who is then barged to the ground. The suspect then appears to celebrate before casually walking away.

Police identified the suspect as Antoine Watson, 19, who they said was arrested on Saturday evening. He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, abuse causing great bodily injury and one count of murder.

Mr Ratanapakdee’s family said they believe the attack was racially motivated.

In an interview with KTVU, Mr Ratanapakdee’s step-son, Eric Lawson, said:

“If you see the video there’s nothing non-intentional about it.”

"For him to come from all the way across the street what else could have motivated him?" 

Mr Ratanapakdee’s daughter Kim said she believes her father was targeted because he was an Asian senior.

She said that she too had been on the receiving end of anti-Asian verbal attacks since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-02

• Sad 10

I suppose we will never know what race Antoine Watson is, but it is worth noting that there has been a marked increase in the number of attacks on Asians in the Bay area since they were reclassified last summer, for the purposes of critical race theory, as white.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not a typo. What I can gather online is that she is from a Latino family or maybe Filipino as they often have Latin names. The accused male has a common black name. The San Francisco neighborhood was in the Western addition historically a black neighborhood. Both accused are from Daly City a nearby heavily Filipino city.

Nice savvy attempt to shift the blame from a white perpetrator to an Asian one. Won't work. Try again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Kelsall said:

The headline screams "racially motivated attack" which would suggest the attacker was not Asian.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out as more information is revealed.

Antoine Watson?,  Fair guess he is not asian.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not a typo. What I can gather online is that she is from a Latino family or maybe Filipino as they often have Latin names. The accused male has a common black name. The San Francisco neighborhood was in the Western addition historically a black neighborhood. Both accused are from Daly City a nearby heavily Filipino city.

Even before I read the story watching the video the district isn't in the Western Addition since the majority of the Addition has no hills. As soon as I saw the house the first thing comes to mine is Silver Terrance or Excelsor District right next door to D.C.

Both district borders in general to black neighborhoods sadly this kid is nothing but scum and trash and doesn't represent the overall black people but yes racism as a naive S.F. growing up it isn't the first time and will not be the last.

Growing up even in S.F. I've face racism but today my nieces and nephews and many Asian live a luxury life especially in California growing up not knowing it because Asian are so successful not even consider a minority due to the pandemic they are sadly learning it now?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

As a kid in the 80’s, San Francisco was my dream. A truly magical place. Everything was vibrant, exciting, full of life. There were people at all income levels, mom and pop shops, street vendors, it seemed like anyone could make it there. I ended up taking my first date in high school to SF Japantown, one of the happiest days of my life. I thought surely, we’re going to live here soon, get one of these cozy apartments, be like one of these happy, exciting people.

Then the dot-coms came, the rents skyrocketed, and coupled with an ineffectual government more and more people were left by the wayside. Only the highest incomes could survive. I had friends at $100k who were scraping, as over half their income went to the rent. As a result, more homeless, more drugs, and soon the streets became a literal toilet, filled with trash, needles, and human waste.

Whether you’re right or left, I’m sure everyone can agree that among these issues, mandating things like paper straws and gender neutral bathrooms should be a bit lower on the list of priorities. Yet there they are. Meanwhile, cops have stopped answering “non-essential” calls like for shoplifting, and thus people had been entering Walgreens drug stores to simply fill their backpacks. Now many of these stores have been shut.

A few months ago I remember hearing of the mentally ill homeless randomly harassing and attacking random passersby, with little effect, so it’s sadly not surprising such incidents are now escalating into murders. Who knows what it will take for them to do something. I couldn’t wait any longer, and have long since escaped California. Oh San Francisco, my long lost dream.

Thanks.  Similar to my story.

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

My wife was telling me about this yesterday. 

She says the thai tv channel say it was because the American had been harassing the thai man for a few days saying it was his people(asian) that caused the covid pandemic. 

If that's true why isn't it in the American press?

I'm an ex San Franciscan but long ago and I know its changed a lot. Massive Asian population.  It never occurred to me that Asians experienced racism there until I was walking down the street with a Vietnamese guy and some white guy started shouting ugly anti immigrant slurs at him. It was on a street full of Chinese businesses in the Richmond district so I guess he was there to target Asians.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1