[VIDEOS] Inside Bang Sue Grand Station: Thailand's new state of the art transportation hub

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, onebir said:

All done up with no one to go.

And almost nowhere to go.

Or will the 4 hour (130 km) ride to Pattaya (2? times a day) start from there?

Will the shaky ever derailing narrow gauges go from there? Full night rides for 500 km?

I have almost given up that I will be able to use a proper modern railway from Khon Kaen before I go through the chimney.

To me it looks like a gigantic city railway station.

And that name :saai: As cosmopolitan as Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, greeneking said:

Yep.  Thought it would be very underused before.  Now with talk of keeping Hua lamphong open.....

Beggars belief.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The new station will eventually replace the iconic Hua Lamphong station, which has been Bangkok’s primary train station since it opened in 1916.

Last week rail officials announced plans to close the station for good in November - with (at the time of publishing) all services expected to be moved to the new Bang Sue Grand Station.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And almost nowhere to go.

Or will the 4 hour (130 km) ride to Pattaya (2? times a day) start from there?

Will the shaky ever derailing narrow gauges go from there? Full night rides for 500 km?

I have almost given up that I will be able to use a proper modern railway from Khon Kaen before I go through the chimney.

And that name :saai: As cosmopolitan as Suvarnabhumi.

You've been in KK too long!.....It actually is a gigantic city railways station....that's why it looks like that and that's what trains use!

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1

I think it is a good idea to have a city station such as this. I always felt that while Thailand was building new roads, under/overpass the rail system was being left behind. At some point the faster trains will be the norm and this looks as though this station is set up for that.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, greeneking said:

Yep.  Thought it would be very underused before.  Now with talk of keeping Hua lamphong open.....

Beggars belief.

Hope the authorities are NOT saying (before it even opens) that it's not big enough so have to keep Hua Lampong station open.

24 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I think it is a good idea to have a city station such as this. I always felt that while Thailand was building new roads, under/overpass the rail system was being left behind. At some point the faster trains will be the norm and this looks as though this station is set up for that.

Yes the rail network has certainly been ignored over the years. A lot of catching up is required but looks like they plan to get on with it and this is certainly a good start.

I have seen similar stations in China, operating very much like an airport. Unfortunately I do not have long enough left to see the benefit here.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A bit like where trains would come to from all over the country just to drop off and pick up people and their luggage. 

9 hours ago, altayvan said:

I never conplain about Thai trains. It was an adventure and I feel fortunate to have been on eighties style trains where I could smoke in the open as I was going, between conpartments. Noisy as hell but still a dream. The supermodern overnight train to Chiamg Mai is really fast but there's nothing to do besides sleeping as it almost feels as if you're inside a fridge -ok, I m exaggerating.

I wish they would have a day time supermodern train to Chiang Mai. I would love to sit for hours watching the Thai countryside flow by the window.  

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Yes the rail network has certainly been ignored over the years. A lot of catching up is required but looks like they plan to get on with it and this is certainly a good start.

I have seen similar stations in China, operating very much like an airport. Unfortunately I do not have long enough left to see the benefit here.

True....but don't forget...."we" have submarines on the way.....much more useful than any integrated, high speed travel infrastructure.......I think anyone would agree.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Hope the authorities are NOT saying (before it even opens) that it's not big enough so have to keep Hua Lampong station open.

No, they are not.

Bang Sue Central has 26 platforms - it is plenty big enough for all current and future needs.