The sky it should be falling now? Convenience stores dropping like flies?

Jingthing

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a classic example with an ice cream shop on a beach. One shop exists already in the middle of the beach. Now someone else wants to open a second shop. Where should he put it? And the answer is: Exactly next to the existing shop. That is the best location.

I don't remember where I read it but I read it more than once, I think it's a well used example.

Exactly what the Maccas KFC pizza places etc do worldwide

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You still need to buy your food and drinks somewhere.

I can understand them closing in Pattaya, because all the Thais supporting the tourist industry have left.

But everywhere else people still need to eat and drink, and the mini-marts are as cheap as anywhere else.

Oh yes absolutely. Up here in the frozen north (Chiang Rai) where we are not unduly dependant on tourism, 7/11 and similar seem to do well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Oh yes absolutely. Up here in the frozen north (Chiang Rai) where we are not unduly dependant on tourism, 7/11 and similar seem to do well.

Well, it was pretty clogged up with Chinese Tour Buses the last time I was up there.

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

If you are in a rural area, why has custom dropped off?  It's not like it's dependent on tourism.  Do a lot of people in your village depend on money being sent home from the tourist areas?

Areas that may not be dependent on tourism are still dependent on businesses being open and people trading with them. A lot of bars, barber shops restaurants and any number of other shops forced to shut and a lot of people afraid to trade with the ones that are open. Private hospitals are all hurting, and look at all the school closures. Sure, the teachers are still drawing their pay, but much of the other staff are not. 

If people in Pattaya aren't buying tee-shirts and souvenirs, the people up-country aren't making tee-shirts and souvenirs. When a brewery cuts production by 10-20-30%, do you not think they start cutting staff?  

People that are scared save their money...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Areas that may not be dependent on tourism are still dependent on businesses being open and people trading with them. A lot of bars, barber shops restaurants and any number of other shops forced to shut and a lot of people afraid to trade with the ones that are open. Private hospitals are all hurting, and look at all the school closures. Sure, the teachers are still drawing their pay, but much of the other staff are not. 

If people in Pattaya aren't buying tee-shirts and souvenirs, the people up-country aren't making tee-shirts and souvenirs. When a brewery cuts production by 10-20-30%, do you not think they start cutting staff?  

People that are scared save their money...

My post was in reply to 7/11's and mom and pop shops, but I accept what you say.  

Thailand, being a country that has something like 17%, possibly more, of its GDP coming from tourism, then the pain will spread across the whole country and not just be confined to the tourism areas.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I lived and worked in Kabinburi for 20 years. There were no 7-11 stores. Now there are countless sevens, and many fewer mom and pop stores. 

It has nothing to do with having change. It has everything to do with:

Air conditioning

Clean stores

Clean staff

Clean food

Food that is not out of date

Value

Variety

Consistency  

I don't think it's sad, I think it's great. Nothing stopping the people that think it's sad to continue supporting the the hot mom and pop -stores with the out date stock, and the lukewarm stale beverages from the cooler they turn off every night and the melted chocolet bars...

Well managed 

tell all the people who change big bills at 7 including farangs that "it has nothing to do with having change" 

7 also offers an easy convenient way to pay your electric bills....they provide a lot of services that the mom and pops don't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

7 also offers an easy convenient way to pay your electric bills....they provide a lot of services that the mom and pops don't.

Yes I often get stuck behind them with my arms full wishing I had got a basket. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

tell all the people who change big bills at 7 including farangs that "it has nothing to do with having change" 

Don't all the people that are walking around needing change all the time already know that? What do they need all that change for anyway? 

Yes, once a month you can pay your bill while holding up the line at seven, which is almost as convenient as staying home and paying it with your phone. 

Again, I do not see how stores that are cleaner, cooler, better stocked and provide more and better services driving crappy stores out of business is a bad thing. Perhaps the crappy store could up their game? 

On 2/5/2021 at 7:19 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

I saw a closed Starbucks too... no real surprise when anything closes in a tourist area w/o tourists... a bit of an inconvenience if you have to walk an extra half-block for a 7/11... 

Nooooooo please, not starbucks ????

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:32 AM, pomchop said:

one of my long ago ex gals told me that the reason there was always a 7 11 in so many villages is that there was no banks there and the mom and pop stores rarely had enough baht to make change...so people who needed change for a 1000 or 500 baht could always count on going to 7 and being able to get change no matter how small the purchase....probably makes sense

Blimey she must have been a "long ago ex 'gal"

They stopped calling them that in the 50's   

????

On 2/5/2021 at 12:53 PM, jacko45k said:

I always get xx900 baht from the ATM.... and unless I go for a booze up round the bars am always short of change.

Do you know, I never thought of That (honest)

Shows how Stupid i am really !

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, in a bison (basin).

I remember being a Chef in LOS and I made some farang to-go foods, that some thais might like also...I made buffalo tenders, the thais thought that they were actual "buffalo" ..I had to change alot of the names om items.....spicy chicken tenders, etc.....I bet the buffaloes would eat them with their fancy starbucks smoothies.....:)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Somtamnication said:

Family Marts have been dropping like flies in Phuket areas where tourists once roamed. Even 7-11s. Sad to see. The Mama Noodle economy must be in overdrive.

Need a Mama Cup Promo to lure the Hiso Chinese back!  No one loves you as much as your "Mama"!   Free Cup to the first 100 with valid air bookings.......*seafood flavor not included*

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Don't all the people that are walking around needing change all the time already know that? What do they need all that change for anyway? 

Yes, once a month you can pay your bill while holding up the line at seven, which is almost as convenient as staying home and paying it with your phone. 

Again, I do not see how stores that are cleaner, cooler, better stocked and provide more and better services driving crappy stores out of business is a bad thing. Perhaps the crappy store could up their game? 

uh duh things like baht bus

One good thing, I will say about 7/11 in Thailand is they stock almost everything  , like for a example A4  paper and lots of other things , that are surprisingly in stock.The 7/11 in the Philippines are mostly full of junk food and while they are better stocked in Australia, they still don't come up to the high standard of the Thailand  7/11 .                        Regards,,,,Popa         

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

uh duh things like baht bus

Yes, so every 100 times around they need to break a thousand...

Do the baht busses not typically have change? I guess the baht bus drivers and the mom and pop store owners could always go to seven for change as making change seen to be their primary business...Low margin but high volume....

Their  policy is to open within site of the next one thus wiping out the opposition. Now they are trying to  generate  parking out front to wipe out kerbside opposition.  Eventually every street will be an end to  end 7/11 and we will  all live in one.  Seriously Thais version of competition is  to open up next door to viable opposition not understanding  they will reduce income by half

10 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Their  policy is to open within site of the next one thus wiping out the opposition. Now they are trying to  generate  parking out front to wipe out kerbside opposition.  Eventually every street will be an end to  end 7/11 and we will  all live in one.  Seriously Thais version of competition is  to open up next door to viable opposition not understanding  they will reduce income by half

The cluster effect does have it's proponents, not just in Thailand.

Yes, Jingthing ,,,,, There are many "litmus tests" that can be applied to what you posted.

* Baht Busses on soi Buakhao ... hardly any passengers — or even empty

Gone are the days when passengers were hanging off the back

(Posted on ThaiVisa earlier that fifty were 'parked up' — 'off road')

* An absence of folk pushing fruit barrows — (few/no customers)

*How long since anyone saw Hill Tribe ladies selling their goods?

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

The Thai Minister for Tourism says three years before we get back  

to pre-Covid19 levels ... so, Hold On Tight!!!