Woman severely injured after steel girder falls from crane at Pattaya construction site

webfact

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I bet the work site had ISO 2002 and and SAFETY FIRST banners up everywhere though....  :whistling:

More so than we se in the photo...  there’s a SAFETY FIRST banner - everything must be safe then, carry on !!! 

The guy in charge of the sign 'xxx days since last accident'... needs to dust off the zero.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said he was standing just one meter away and was undoubtedly saved by his Luang Pu Thuat amulet from Wat Chang. 

Who need safety first if you can hang some amulets around your neck and you good to go...

• Like 2

A colleague of mine died from a fractured skull that he suffered from a bicycling accident during a company retreat.  Even with there being physicians in the group he was riding in and getting top-notch medical care in San Francisco area he still died.

I hope she pulls through and doesn't have any disabilities as a result.

• Like 2

Its a sad day... I hope she recovers.. That's a hell of a weight to fall on you

What the hell are they doing building a Hotel in the first place?

Tourism is totally down the toilet...  and will probably never recover

The construction of this 5 star hotel began well before Covid and has not stopped during the crisis. It is slated to open in September this year.

Accidents with cranes on construction sites happen all over the world even in countries with reputedly superior health and safety procedures. It is often the case that members of the public and/or their property are victims; not in this case thankfully.

I hope the lady fully recovers and that her workmates have a whip round to buy her an appropiate amulet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It should have been capable of supporting a two ton load and was regularly checked and he had no idea why the girder fell. ........

The crane may have been checked but have the lifting slings been load tested and the sling tally stamped to indicate compliance.  The sling record card will show this. What sling record card? Don't  need them for the rusty wire Somchai gave us when our sling broke last year?

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I bet the work site had ISO 2002 and and SAFETY FIRST banners up everywhere though....  :whistling:

More so than we se in the photo...  there’s a SAFETY FIRST banner - everything must be safe then, carry on !!! 

I never believe anything written on a label in Thailand.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

all ISO accreditations are a exercise in futility. They are meaningless everywhere. . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

all ISO accreditations are a exercise in futility. They are meaningless everywhere. . 

Utter nonsense – ISO credentials are NOT an exercise in futility!!

When applied they contribute massively to governance. If you buy a sticker from E-bay I agree,

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

When applied they contribute massively to governance. If you buy a sticker from E-bay I agree,

Couldn't agree more!

If the ISO rules are followed and obeyed they can result in zero serious injuries. Yes they are tedious and often "overkill" - better that than the other sort of "overkill" 

Here in UK (Nanny State extraordinaire) such accidents are very rare, and when they do occur, a proper investigation must be carried out and there are serious penalties when the rules are found to have been ignored.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

steel girder weighing one ton fell from a crane to the ground below.

It hit a young woman

She was given first aid then rushed to hospital with a fractured skull.

Unfortunately did I give first aid including CPR to three American GI's after they hit a house in a BMW with 140 km/h. ( So the reconstruction later on)

When the emergency doctor arrived, he told me that i could stop, the guy was dead.

Then I looked at his head and it had about twice the size. i don't agree to do that to people with such a serious head injury.

A very sad and heartbreaking story. She's at the wrong place art the wrong time. Where was Buddha when that happened? 

I hope that she makes it without any issues.        

Edited by teacherclaire

12 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

I have run companies and completed ISO accreditations, done for PR purposes only.  In all instances they were indeed an exercise in futility.  Well run companies don't need them,  for badly run companies they do nothing to improve poor performance as they are all,. without exception, tick box exercises, introduced because poor  and/or incompetent management  don't introduce the obvious systems that all companies need and thereafter, don't bother to  follow because nobody regularly checks up on them  I would not take any notice of them if I were buying selling or investing. 

Edited by Pilotman