Rape scene depicted in Thai soap opera sparks outrage on Twitter

snoop1130

Rape scene depicted in Thai soap opera sparks outrage on Twitter

A54B99EA-F8A7-41C1-A289-1FEDDE215F17.jpeg

One controversial scene from “Mia Jum Pen” soap opera [Courtesy: Ch3Thailand]

#NoMoreRapeOnScreen (#ข่มขืนผ่านจอพอกันที) became the fastest trending hashtag in Thailand today, after the latest episode of “Mia Jum Pen”, or Wife on Duty, sparked outrage on social media because of a scene depicting the rape of a female character which, in the story, was videotaped by a criminal.

Another scene involves the hospitalized victim being asked how many times she was raped, but the most controversial scene depicts the male lead’s “disgust” with the victim when he mistakenly thinks that his wife, a lead character, was raped.

Many Twitter users complained that the depiction of sexual assault in the drama reinforces rape culture and victim blaming in Thailand, where women are often held to be responsible for the assaults upon them.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/rape-scene-depicted-in-thai-soap-opera-sparks-outrage-on-twitter/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-02-09

• Sad 4

The Thai soaps (Lakorns) I have seen over the years have been way too graphic and would certainly not be shown in the UK. Kidnap, murder, torture and rape. Quite shocking really when most Thais are very respectful of one another. That's my observations in the villages, towns and cities when staying with family and friends or dining in restaurants. The TV shows here seem to think (and mostly be able) to depict what would be totally unnaceptable in real life yet the Khun Yais absolutley can't get enough of these types of shows.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately Thai society still objectifies women as lesser than, non equals, and not of a stature equal to men.  Thai's also seem to believe that what they see on Television is true to life actions and many live life the same way.  Just my opinion, but I see many Thai ladies acting like those on the Lakorns as well as the men being true playboys, and it is accepted in society just like Mia Noi's.

Yes very sad

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Maybe they have a more realistic view. The “woman” are equal to man is PC nonsense. Men and women are not the same. 

Some things women are generally better at, but name me a really significant life changing invention by a woman. 
If it wasn’t for blokes inventing electricity, cars, planes, TV,  the light bulb, the Internet, refrigeration, heating  etc etc etc we would all still be living in cold dark caves. 

plenty of rapes, murders, shootings depicted in Western film fiction, which is also a lot more violent. 
It is only fiction. I don’t think real life rapists sit around watching soaps or are influenced to rape by them. Soaps are overwhelmingly more popular with female viewers

I am in no way a liberal, woman deserve equal rights, burn the bra sort of guy and believe it or not I have even figured out that men and women are not the same but what you are purporting is pretty extreme.

"Real life rapists" don't probably decide to rape anyone unless motivated or triggered by something else.

So, you have a survey to back up your statement that lesser educated females are the most prominent soap viewers? 

50 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

The Thai soaps (Lakorns) I have seen over the years have been way too graphic and would certainly not be shown in the UK. Kidnap, murder, torture and rape. Quite shocking really when most Thais are very respectful of one another. That's my observations in the villages, towns and cities when staying with family and friends or dining in restaurants. The TV shows here seem to think (and mostly be able) to depict what would be totally unnaceptable in real life yet the Khun Yais absolutley can't get enough of these types of shows.

You must be only seeing the surface and what is acceptable in public view. 

In the years I have lived here there has been murders, shootings, knife attacks, domestic violence, drunken fights in the street and mothers abandoning babies and children.  

Mind you I do live in rural villages and not a push gated housing estate of fancy condo in the middle of a big city. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Well heres a few to start with....

• 1) Marie Curie: Theory of Radioactivity. ...
  • 2) Grace Hopper: The Computer. ...
  • 3) Rosalind Franklin: DNA Double Helix. ...
  • 4) Stephanie Kwolek: Kevlar. ...
  • 5) Josephine Cochrane: The Dishwasher. ...
  • 6) Maria Beasley: The Life Raft. ...

https://inventionland.com/blog/ten-female-inventors-who-changed-our-lives/

1. No significant invention.

2. A minor improvement of an invention by man.

3 No significant invention.

4 Invention, but hardly life changing, alternatives.

5 a dishwasher, 

6) An improvement of an existing thing. 

7) A stretch, didn’t personally invent anything.

8. Good one. 
9) Part of a team with men.

10 windscreen wiper. 

Not really equal is it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Well heres a few to start with....

• 1) Marie Curie: Theory of Radioactivity. ...
  • 2) Grace Hopper: The Computer. ...
  • 3) Rosalind Franklin: DNA Double Helix. ...
  • 4) Stephanie Kwolek: Kevlar. ...
  • 5) Josephine Cochrane: The Dishwasher. ...
  • 6) Maria Beasley: The Life Raft. ...

https://inventionland.com/blog/ten-female-inventors-who-changed-our-lives/

Always thought it was Alan Turing who invented the computer and Konrad Zuse who invented the first programmable computer.   

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

Always thought it was Alan Turing who invented the computer and Konrad Zuse who invented the first programmable computer.   

Suggest you read the article linked for further information. 

30 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Grace Hopper's contributions to computer science were primarily in software, not hardware. In other words, she did not "invent the computer". She was a pioneer in bringing us out of "machine code" (coding at the CPU level) and into the world of high-level languages, and is credited with creating the first "linker", which allows different pieces of code to be combined to create a larger program. Personally, I would not classify this as "invention" so much as refinement, and it was part of a larger program of the US military, but credit where credit is due. She made great contributions to computer science.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

Grace Hopper's contributions to computer science were primary in software, not hardware. In other words, she did not "invent the computer". She was a pioneer in bringing us out of "machine code" (coding at the CPU level) and into the world of high-level languages, and is credited with creating the first "linker", which allows different pieces of code to be combined to create a larger program. Personally, I would not classify this as "invention" so much as refinement, and it was part of a larger program of the US military, but credit where credit is due. She made great contributions to computer science.

Very true and very diplomatic

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Yes, it's the formula that works...caters to a low mentality!

Some say that high flying executives after an exhausting day decision making like nothing better than to come home and veg out in front of a good old soap........I'm not so sure myself..............!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately Thai society still objectifies women as lesser than, non equals, and not of a stature equal to men.

agree, but i think Thai women selling sex and requiring sin sod for marriage kinda support this definition and therefore treatment as an "object"

• Thanks 2