Trump lawyers portray impeachment trial as Democratic witch hunt

rooster59

6 minutes ago, connda said:

I've no dog in this fight.  I don't like either side to the two party duopoly.
But!
If the powers to be go down this road they set a precedence.  Impeach a President who is no longer the POTUS, then you've set the precedent to start "impeaching" former government officials from the president on down.

Now do I care?  No.  I just lean back and watch the new 21st century version of Loony-Toons play out in real time. It's entertaining.

Would you propose a criminal should be let go without accountability? If you post on this subject, you have a dog in the fight. It's called your opinion.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, connda said:

Then you have no clue as to the nature of the Fifth Amendment.   Go look it up.
If you are an American, then you are rather ignorant.  But they don't teach "Civics" any longer in High School, so I'd give you a pass.  If you didn't take Amercian Civics classes, or if you're not a lawyer or versed in American History, then  you probably are ignorant (in other words - not knowledgeable) of either the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or SCOTUS rulings.

Fifth Amendment pertaining to your assertion:

[No person] ... shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;

144 constitutional lawyers called Trump 1st amendment defense frivolously illegally. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/us/politics/trump-impeachment-defense.html

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Ah, he was impeached while still POTUS. Impeachment is the bringing of charges, a function of the House.

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

144 constitutional lawyers called Trump 1st amendment defense frivolously illegally. 

The charges are then tried in the Senate, but impeachment has already happened.

The reason the trial is necessary is because without holding 45 accountable, a precedent is set that an outgoing, loser POTUS can do whatever he wants to try to overthrow the election in his last few weeks in office, and if he fails, as 45 did, he isn't held liable for trying to subvert democracy.

45 is a clown, lacks discipline, and is incompetent. The next POTUS who tries---as the (R)s are setting a precedent by claiming "He's already out of office so forget it"---might be brighter and more competent. He may succeed in overthrowing a free and fair election.  The Senate trial and ideally a conviction is a deterrent to future criminal activity by another POTUS.

Whatever.  Let the system take whatever course it takes.  I really no longer care.

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Good link, thanks!

Here's two which explain that there are exceptions to the "free speech" clause, among which are "fighting words."  Such words would include incitement to violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_free_speech_exceptions#Fighting_words

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

Edited by helpisgood
typo

1 hour ago, connda said:

I've no dog in this fight.  I don't like either side to the two party duopoly.
But!
If the powers to be go down this road they set a precedence.  Impeach a President who is no longer the POTUS, then you've set the precedent to start "impeaching" former government officials from the president on down.

Now do I care?  No.  I just lean back and watch the new 21st century version of Loony-Toons play out in real time. It's entertaining.

Right. You're definitely nonpartisan. 

Trump faces likely setback in Georgia recount, drops Michigan lawsuit - Page 4 - World News - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

And in the end #45 was correct all along.

He said  ""I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?" Trump remarked at a campaign stop at Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa. "It's, like, incredible."

Absolutely incredible!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As an American, I could only think of Trump as the virus, or rather the Thing as in "The Thing" where a kind of virus has inhabited, and from hence started to transmit itself to other (human) beings. Trump is evil incarnate for sure, but why do so many people become his disciples, including lawsmakers sitting in Congress? 

As big a shock as seeing planes plunging into World Trade Center on 9/11, was the sight of insurgents marauding through the Rotunda/Statutory Hall of the Capitol on 06/01. For a moment I had to pinch myself whether I was in the middle of a nightmare. But no, I was watching the certification of the electoral vote by the Congress, the last step before we swear in our new president. No, this is real, broadcast live from the other side of the world. Then came a moment of panic: if I am seeing the insurgents filing into the Capitol (not much violence or breaking in had been shown by then) with relative ease and feral glee, in other words, no resistance whatsoever, then have we "lost" it? Am I going to witness next the execution of lawsmakers one by one ISIS style, right there on the floor of Congress? 

I have lost a dear friend since the day Biden won Pensylvania. I texted my friend in California, a coworker back in the day I was working as a clerk for DHS. We kept in touch, he was still at the old job while I'm living the life of a retiree expat. I asked, "Are you celebrating yet?" Then came the curt reply, "Not so soon." Soon followed a stream of MAGA mis-info, replete with screen shots of OANN news broadcast, photoshopped pic of Biden standing in a cemetery evoking the dead to go and vote, about the election being stolen, by Chinese agents interference, etc. I said to myself, oh no, not him, he's smarter than that. But no, I had not gotten to know my friend well, I realized, we hadn't talked much about politics in the past, but as we had worked together to get unionized, I thought we were in the same frame of mind, politically. Helas, not so, and since then all I could have gotten out of him has been mono-syllabic.

The feeling I had was that a dear person has been body-snatched by the Trump virus, and now he's a Trump zombie, I mean, a MAGA fan. I can't really explain how that happened (to him), but I figure the circumstances of everyday life in the US must have become unbearable for a certain segment of the population (70 plus millions of them) to the point when Trump gave them the cool-aid, they took it as manna from heaven. Maybe to folks outside of the USA it's hard to imagine what makes a Trump zombie, but one thing we all have experienced with is how it feels like to encounter one: their words usually come in rabid-style delivery (a la Ashley Babbitt) and you can't argue for long with them without having to re-examine your own sanity (I'm sure many on this forum could share same experience!) I'm praying for Prez Biden in his efforts of rebuilding our country, in tatters after 4 years of Trumpism and ravaged by undeterred covid. Vaccination, economy stimulus, equality, health care and education to name a few. Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera (pardon my French) = Help yourself and God will help you, America.

Edited by watthong
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, J Town said:

Is any of this a surprise? Let me say this now - anyone who finds the obviously coming acquittal a victory is celebrating a traitor to the country and an attack on democracy.

No doubt, hes a traitor and a dispicable <deleted>. He and his low life syncophants need to be given the Pence treatment, en masse.

• Like 2

A post to social media and reply removed. 

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

If Trump is acquitted, the Senate could decide to censure him or even vote to bar him from holding public office again. Asked on Thursday about pursuing the latter option, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said that decision would have to wait until the end of the trial.

Seriously. I'm pretty sure that the constitution would have something to say about barring private citizens from standing for office. I understand that it can happen when the person was convicted in an impeachment, but that's not what is claimed in the quote. I'd be surprised if it happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1