Quarantine hotel starts legal action after man posts negative review online - even though he found a cockroach in his food!

snoop1130

22 hours ago, EricTh said:

What the heck! The hotel should improve the condition rather than sue that guy.

The hotel should charge minimal fee which will provide better service.

That would be tantamount to "manning up", taking responsibility for ones actions, looking within for the source of the problem, and behaving in a dignified and honorable manner. These guys who use the defamation laws are absolute cowards. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

somebody has approved that hotel for a quarantine hotel 

well what with the gubberment scaremongering about the seriousness of it all

- that 'somebody' obviously never expected anyone to actually survive Quarantine long enough to tell about it! 

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

While I recognize that Thailand has a right to make its own laws, the draconian interpretation of the international law of libel and slander is outside the pale. Yes, court action If someone publicly commits liable or slider

There is no "international law of libel and slander".

Edited by Matreusse

On 2/17/2021 at 1:47 PM, internationalism said:

on coconuts they named this hotel, it's at the end of jomtien with beach access.

really big hotel with some 20 floors and hundreds rooms.

they  use to charge around 1600b.

during his stay he did contact health authorities, so he has some back up 

Reporting the hotel's unsanitary conditions to the health authorities was the correct thing to do and the guest should have left it at that.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Keesters said:

No lawyer would ever advise that though. 

So what?! This is all about ego and saving face! Filing a lawsuit against someone who speaks the truth will make matters only way worse for the owner of the hotel in regards to public option about the place. Making an effort to improve the place on the other hand would probably work so much better in terms of damage control! 

12 hours ago, Artisi said:

Countered sued by ???? 

It should never be accepted in court, dismissed as a frivolous change and a waste of court time. 

Judge should tell claimant “you must be joking” and suggest that the Health Department do a complete inspection of the hotel. I would have demanded a better room immediately as I am sure that all of them cannot be that bad. There is no way a human being should have to spend 15 nights in that squalor. 

47 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

There is no "international law of libel and slander".

Sorry, I was using the English definition of the words. Yes, you are correct no International Law applying to all nations as we note in Thailand, for example.

10 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

That sounds ridiculous. The law enforcement should take some legal actions against the hotel not against the guest.

The department for public health should make an unexpected visit to check it.

Then if the the guest was right, they should shut it down as in other countries, and not blame the guest for defamation.

With that, they lose the rest of their reputation.

It was mentioned in one post that the guest also informed the authorities  and in another post that the hotel closed down for three months.  I assume that a government department, perhaps the department of health, ordered the closure and will make a new inspection after the three months before allowing it to open again.

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Whenever I post on instagram I make sure it is 100 percent positive 

even an Italian restaurant that does not serve bread 

Italians in an Italian restaurant in Italy do not eat bread before, with or after their lunch and dinner.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, ChipButty said:

could be, try it 

A few years ago i was staying in a very good BKK hotel and accidentally cut my leg on a sharp object on the corner of the bed. Unknowingly i got blood on the bedsheet. Checkout charged me Bht500 to launder "menstral blood" from the sheet. I explain what happened, showed them the cut on my leg and the sharp object, but they said  "no you have to pay Bht500"   I said that i would put it in the booking site previews. Do this and we will have you arrested and sued was the reply. So i just paid the bht 500.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

What if people use a  pseudonym at Trip advisor??

What the hotel can do?

This way, right now, only keeps costumers away.

Why not just clean and renovate it? That would do better than blame the guest. 

Well it is closed for 3 months.

6 hours ago, Percy P said:

What's happened to free speech, or doesn't it apply in Thailand. 

UK government have just brought a law out strengthening free speech.

The hotel should show proof of what he wrote wasn't true.

I wonder !   have you ever been to Thailand ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Percy P said:

What's happened to free speech, or doesn't it apply in Thailand. 

UK government have just brought a law out strengthening free speech.

The hotel should show proof of what he wrote wasn't true.

Thailand does not have free speech 

The original article shows LOTS of evidence, no idea why the hotel is calling it "spreading false information". Defamation laws are created for a reason but this is not one of them when the facts are clear--IF the guy didn't create this evidence. But we know how Thailand is, wouldn't want anyone--or any business, to lose face, that's what's most important.

2 hours ago, Puccini said:

Italians in an Italian restaurant in Italy do not eat bread before, with or after their lunch and dinner.

Are you sure?

Every time I go in a restaurant or "trattoria" here in Milan (Italy), one of the first thing that the waitress put on the table with the menu is a basket of bread; one of my friend also like to eat it with pasta :omfg:

Maybe you were sarcastic?

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:15 AM, ChipButty said:

Good job he didn't leave a review on Trip Advisor

I don't think tripadvisor will release your ip address if you do a review using an anon name and email, etc. They are not Thailand based.

Nobody uses real names or phone numbers these days...

Edited by DerbyDan

On 2/17/2021 at 9:00 PM, EricTh said:

What the heck! The hotel should improve the condition rather than sue that guy.

The hotel should charge minimal fee which will provide better service.

They sue in hope to have the money to improve! ????

Perhaps once the cash rolling  in they can serve full bugs, not only partials?

• Haha 2

The hotel should be held accountable for substandard service.  The Thai man called the authorities and reported the situation, so the evidence is there, now the proper action needs to be taken.  This business with hotels being able to sue a person when they have a legitimate complaint about their establishment is hogwash.  It is big business and big money being a bully to the public.  They shouldn't be able to get away with it.  I hope Tripadvisor gets involved in this; they really gave strong support of the falang that got harassed by the hotel/restaurant.  

• Like 2