Anger mounts as Facebook's Australia news ban sweeps up charities, government pages

snoop1130

15 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

At the same time, it’s also Facebook’s right to make changes to their products and operations as they wish.

Why? They are using a medium that was developed and paid for by governments through their people's taxes. Just like a highway. Do you get to change the products and operations on a highway as you personally wish?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't really care.  There are other news services in Australia. Why use a social media site for getting your news. Use a news service. Some news papers charge punters for online content, Facebook have said no, we don't want to pay, therefore we will pull all news service links and posts. If Facebook has to pay for services they do not want, the punters using Facebook will be required to cough up.

Australians who want free news... tough poo. Not from Facebook, mateys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Katipo said:

The Aussie government are beholden to Murdoch and Co. Facebook are holding Australian charities and emergency services ransom by including them in their purge. One is as bad as the other.

How are the Australian government beholden to Murdoch and Co ?

It has far more reach than that organization, plus other countries have said they are considering similar legislation.

You obviously think Facebook should get news content for free, I pay for my online Australian Newspaper.

• Sad 1

The real takeaway from this is the woeful situation that global corporations have the power and bankroll to force entire countries to the negotiation table; truly a fearsome harbinger. 

Extra credit question: compare & contrast. 

"would a country and its citizens be better served by a corporative or a governmental entity ?" 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Yes, I can change the products I am transporting on a highway, and I can change my transport operations. 

Not without going through regulations you can't. Try transporting explosives, dangerous chemicals, and radioactive products and find out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

How are the Australian government beholden to Murdoch and Co ?

It has far more reach than that organization, plus other countries have said they are considering similar legislation.

You obviously think Facebook should get news content for free, I pay for my online Australian Newspaper.

News shared in Facebook links directly to the providers website. There it can either be free (ad supported), or behind a limited/complete paywall. Whether you get there directly, or via Facebook, makes no difference. In fact one can argue that Facebook leads to more traffic to a news site, not less.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Not without going through regulations you can't. Try transporting explosives, dangerous chemicals, and radioactive products and find out.

And so does Facebook and every other company have to comply to regulations and laws. Try, for example, providing a gambling app where gambling is illegal and find out. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 7:07 PM, ardsong said:

Nothing in the world is "free", is a common saying; well except maybe the sunshine, wind and rain.

So while the Aussie government, small news outlets, charities etc have for many years benefited from the "free" distribution channels offered by Facebook, now suddenly they realize that they all have failed in making a proper guaranteed method of distribution for their own contributions to the internet. Their complaints on FB stopping a "free" service is unfair, as it is only of their own making.

Not even rain some places. I've read that in some places people are not allowed to capture rainwater to use as water rights have been sold off to big corporations. Al Jazira has been running amazing documentaries about "water wars".

Re the OP, I've believed all along that over dependence on internet is going to lead to tears, and this only goes to show how much people depended on something that could be eliminated in the push of a computer key.

I'm pretty sure that if we ever go to war again, first thing to go down will be all internet functions- IMO everything we depend on will stop.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm pretty sure that if we ever go to war again, first thing to go down will be all internet functions- IMO everything we depend on will stop.

The entire point of the protocol was to route around network outages and remain usable in the event of a nuclear war.

Now, as satellite Internet goes mainstream, the Internet will be more resilient than ever.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:55 PM, Stocky said:

Rubbish, delete Facebook and find a platform that doesn't bully.

Whatever we think of Facebook (and they are, indeed, an execrable lot), in this case they are not forcing anyone to do anything.

They were quite happy to allow users to link out to other websites until the Australian government, at the behest of the old media companies (Murdoch etc), decided that this activity (linking to other websites) would now have to cost money.

Facebook complied by preventing the activity.

That this has had the entirely predictable affect of decimating traffic to Australian websites is really on the old media companies themselves.

I find it laughable that some companies and organisations seem to have based their business model on the existence of a single, privately-owned website (FB).

Truly an "Eggs-in-one-basket" sort of moment.  More fool them......

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I find it laughable that some companies and organisations seem to have based their business model on the existence of a single, privately-owned website (FB).

Truly an "Eggs-in-one-basket" sort of moment.  More fool them......

I assume those organisations / companies who only utilise Facebook have limited budgets for web based activity. In Australia Facebook has apologised for the inconvenience where charity / commercial pages have been taken down and aim to get them back up in the coming weeks - a major pain in the neck for some.

Oz government invests about A$20 million p.a. with Facebook pages and for the moment has taken a whole of government decision to cease business with Facebook, a very minor bump in the road for immediate Facebook revenues. For the past two years Facebook has been planning to role out a new product, Facebook News, for which news organisation will receive payment for content; taking this into account, to me, it is ludicrous for Facebook to have taken such an aggressive stance.

• Like 1