Thailand suffers sharp fall in rankings of best countries for retirement

rooster59

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

If you have to ask me where I'm going to pay 10 times more than the locals I would question your assertation you've been here as long as you say you have.

I didn't say I'm having trouble with immigration. I said I'm weary of the stupid system. At my age I still have decades of it ahead of me. So you went there 8 - 10 times (and how were you reporting actually, online hasn't been around that long), let's give that some perspective: My stepdaughter spent her formative years in the UK. Within 2 years she had ILR, which lasts forever, and she never had to visit immigration one. Not once. A year later she was registered as British. Now, you can say well local laws local rules respect them blah blah blah... Well I do respect them insofar as I go through the motions because I have no choice in order to hold my family unit together. Nothing you or anyone else can say to me will convince me the system isn't a piece of s#!t. . .

Since you're inferring I might be such a person, I'll say this. Indefinite Leave to Remain was always free of charge in the UK up until the moment European free movement was introduced, at which point the Home Office started charging for it. . . so if you want to take this route in the conversation, yes, I strongly objected to the fact the wives and children of British Citizens are financially raped just to stay together, while those with no ties to the UK were able to come and go visa free and at no cost. I'll be very happy to take you on with this topic, if you dare.

I can count on one hand the number of places I go in a year that have double pricing. I'm always amused at the guys that drive a half a day to take the kids someplace and then show their *** and turn around with a car full of crying kids for fifty Baht. A lot of places seem to charge the local price if your with you wife and kids anyway. And it seems you almost always get the local price if you show your work permit. 

What is stupid about about the the system? Okay, the endless photo copies and taking taking a family photo once a year seem silly, but it just does not seem like that big a deal to me. If you're working, does the company you work for not take care of your visa?

I worked the first 18 years I was here and got-two year visas. Actually I think the first visa I got with my work permit was three years. I also traveled for work a good bit so I was almost never in the country for 90 days, and when I was I think the office took care of reporting. I did get fined for overstay once when leaving the country.

I don't have any idea how you feel about immigration in your home county, but I'm not real happy about the immigration situation in my home country,  so while there are a lot of things that annoy me here, meeting the minimal immigration requirements is not one of them. I'm glad they try to keep track of people.

It does seem to me that the powers that be have control issues, which beyond a certain point become something like a mental health issue. They seem concerned that if they are  too nice to the guests, then some day the "guests" will be the ones actually in charge. And they have an ancient culture that they don't want to be changed or corrupted by the well-paying guests, not appreciating that change is always inevitable. They can't have it both ways--take the money, exclude the egalitarian rationalist influence--but the ones alive today will probably keep trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 4:06 AM, Pilotman said:

Well I am sure that they are not at all disappointed with this.  I think that we are definitely seen as an unwanted 'burden' on Thailand rather than any kind of advantage.  I have thought for a long time that there is a half hidden policy to phase we retired people out over the next few years.  As more of us here die off, they will make it increasingly difficult for up coming retirees to settle here.  Their loss in the end. 

Yes they’re really going to miss that guy who lives on 1000 baht a month

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

Yes they’re really going to miss that guy who lives on 1000 baht a month

Projecting?  There are lots of foreigners with money that a lot of these policies still discourage.  

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, Pilotman said:

and they don't care that you won't. 

Are there any reliable figures about how much retirees have put into building nice houses in the Moo Baan , cars and motorbikes for the "brothers" , hospital bills and vets bills for the sick buffalos, buying seaside bars, child support for the many children, fashion accessories and the myriad of other "investments" into Thai society??  Is it all really insignificant financially?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, completely insignificant. The only people dreaming it is of any significance are people like Felix from Switzerland (made up name) sitting in his mansion house in the middle of a burning rice field in Surin, wondering what the phuck he did and shaking a walking stick at the wall, "What would ya'll do without me?!"

• Haha 2

On 3/6/2021 at 2:22 PM, rumak said:

Still,  keeping 800k in the bank and paying only 1900 baht ( a bargain) yearly does eliminate the hassles other types of visas present.  

800k is about $27,586 with the current exchange rate. That’s a lot of money that they have now changed that you can not touch for 6 months. 

I am looking at the Philippines now. It's only 10,000 USD in their Bank and a income of $800.00 a month. Plus from watching what the new President is doing for the country, it's only a matter of time it will be the place to be. There are many expats there now. 

Thailand has lose it Smile. It's all about greed and corruption, and they doing it publicly.  This Pandemic is their curse for all their wrongdoings to people that wants to enjoy retirement. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

no thanks, i prefer to buy my own health insurance and the hastle free way of thailand.

and 2000 USD will not buy comfortable life for a couple in costa rica. costa rica is propably the most

expensive place in south america...and not so crime free after all.

Costa Rica certainly isn't the most expensive place in South America as it's not in South America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was a regular visitor  for 10 years   spending 2 months at a time there  so was considering retirement there.As  time  moved on  I realised what did this country have to offer?  Cost of living is to high if you like   nice red wine and   western  foods. For the matter beer at the bars  has been  creaping up and  lots of  Farang now  sit at the  front of a 7 /11 store drinking.If you want  accommodation  of reasonable standard  you need  $1000 per month. Last trip in Pattaya  which was  about 12 months ago I did some serious looking in Pattaya and the 5000 -7000 baht   apartment is very  poor.

I have been spending more time in Europe prior to Covid  and found Italy Spain Portugal more desirable places to live.  Cost of living would be on part to Thailand.

If you want to be a bar fly then  Angeles City is the place for you but the visa issue is a nightmare,My advise to go and visit  these countries  and see if it is what you are really looking for as the fun visiting bars each night  eventually changes, old friends stop coming to Thailand,   the  stuffed knee, hip, needs replacement, and you need to go home for those procedures.

I was coming to Thailand having dental  treatment but  not really worth it now as Dentists in Australia  are only a fraction more. I will continue to  finish my Dental treatment  in Pattaya  but thinking seriously of  having the remaining work done here.

I will still be a visitor of Thailand  but do not see it as a long term retirement destination.

I could write books  on the subject matter.  Everybody tells you how bad Australia  is  but everybody runs back to the place to  spend 2 years so they can collect their pensions and have free hospital treatments. I worked and paid taxes? Really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been living in Thailand for four years now and six years prior while working and getting my affairs' in order I traveled back and forth from America several times a year to be with my family here. I have only my social security income which my wife and her family live comfortable on. I did have a marriage visa but changed to a retirement visa with some help of a friend of my wife just recently. I have many Thai and farang friend here and find them to be very nice and helpful, only once did encounter a problem with a Thai person but he was drunk...LOL! Okay enough said 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bohemianfish said:

I don't feel wanted in my home country here in America. No one cares about me except my family. People are rough with most anyone and rarely had a good experience with them. Things are expensive. Being older you are ignored most of the time, questioned if you can hear or comprehend what people say to you. People here just want you for your money, no other interest. Property taxes and utilities are obscenely high and a lot of racial tension and women in general when out and about treat you like some threat and god forbid you walk past someone's children.

Didn't really have these feelings while visiting and being in Thailand. When Thai wife is ready to move back, I'll be with her.

I see you don't have many posts here on TV,   but i will not call you a "newbie" because your post

does well in describing why many have left that bastion of fleedom .   

And just to add,  we have a 40 year old female tenant (here in CM)  that has just managed to return to Thailand after going through all the ASQ  stuff.   She can't stand the US  either !

BTW:   if Thai wife not ready you can always come first   ????????  

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who cares about rankings like that?

Is anybody here looking at that ranking and planning to move to Costa Rica or Malaysia or any other country which scores better than Thailand just because of such a list?

That is a good point. My guess is the population of "fence sitters" is extremely low. People pretty much know where they want to go in retirement.

What articles like this may impact is their financial decisions. That is whether to buy or rent. If people fear they may never be able to sell, they'd be less likely to make that condo investment. I believe articles like this will have a negative influence on the "over built" condo market in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bohemianfish said:

I don't feel wanted in my home country here in America. No one cares about me except my family. People are rough with most anyone and rarely had a good experience with them. Things are expensive. Being older you are ignored most of the time, questioned if you can hear or comprehend what people say to you. People here just want you for your money, no other interest. Property taxes and utilities are obscenely high and a lot of racial tension and women in general when out and about treat you like some threat and god forbid you walk past someone's children.

Didn't really have these feelings while visiting and being in Thailand. When Thai wife is ready to move back, I'll be with her.

I'm fortunately a German orphan with no family in the West but a family in Thailand. So I'll stay here. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dbrenn said:

What a strange and verbose way you have of asking a simple question.

Visa rule tightening is one example. When I first arrived, people were living forever on tourist visas, now they are no longer free to do so. There are other examples, too numerous to list, some of them you might agree with, other not. 

Those that were living here forever on tourist visas were flouting the rules. It isn't the rules that have changed, it's the correct enforcement of those rules that have. And rightly so IMO. If you want to come and live in Thailand, do it properly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rumak said:

I see you don't have many posts here on TV,   but i will not call you a "newbie" because your post

does well in describing why many have left that bastion of fleedom .   

And just to add,  we have a 40 year old female tenant (here in CM)  that has just managed to return to Thailand after going through all the ASQ  stuff.   She can't stand the US  either !

BTW:   if Thai wife not ready you can always come first   ????????  

I had a different Thaivisa account several years ago and had closed it. Back again. I've been to Thailand many times and the rose colored glasses came off with each visit. It's certainly not perfect, but we are ready to move from our current residence, anyway, due to the cold and wet weather much of the year. The USA is great in many ways. Much to love about the great outdoors, but certainly the downsides.

Anyway, we are looking at the Chiang Mai area as it appears to have a nice international feel like we have in the Seattle area. No so much running to Thailand, but to warmer weather throughout the year, a change of scenery, and a new adventure for us to do things in SE Asia. It's incidental, to some degree, that she is from Thailand. And we like to stay home more and more and like gardening and visiting temples and flower and plant festivals.

My original comment was to counter the negative aspects expressed about Thailand when there's enough to dislike in our home countries. Any place will have its good and bad, so you pick your poison. There is certainly a lot to like about Thailand and we have a good time when we visit each year.

Would love to go to Thailand first, but wife says it would not be safe for me, lol.

Edited by Bohemianfish
word correction.

I think that over the years Thailand has become quite complacent about long and short term visitors due to the millions of people who come for both long term holidays and retirement.  The Government no longer makes an effort to make visitors welcome and a combination of an unstable and at times illogical political scene and the two tier pricing system makes people a little uncomfortable, not to mention the rampant coruption that is robbing the Country blind.  I have lived here now for nearly 16 years, have a lovely educated Thai Wife who is kindness itself and I am very lucky, but I must admit despite the lovely warm weather, two successful businesses, I am beginning to wonder if it is time to find pastures new?  Maybe Portugal or Costa Rica might be the next solution.

• Like 1