American tourist COVID test deemed positive after Phuket visit, returns to US

snoop1130

American tourist COVID test deemed positive after Phuket visit, returns to US

By The Phuket News

1615539797_1-org.jpg

The timeline of the American man’s movements shows that the man stayed in Phuket for three days before returning to Bangkok. Image: PR Bangkok

PHUKET:-- The Department of Medical Sciences has revised the test results of an American man who visited Phuket before returning to Bangkok and flying home back to the US, and have now recorded his test results for COVID-19 as positive.

The news follows the Bangkok office of the Public Relations Department (PR Bangkok) posting a timeline of the man’s movements while on holiday in the country, showing that he stayed three days in Phuket, staying at the Sri Panwa resort on Cape Panwa.

Although the man exited Thailand on Mar 4, PR Bangkok posted the timeline of his movements within the country – and confirmation that he was now considered as COVID-positive when he left the country – only yesterday (Mar 11).

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/american-tourist-covid-test-deemed-positive-after-phuket-visit-returns-to-us-79316.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-03-12

16 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

wonky testing for sure. But it does reinforce my desire to stay the hell off of airplanes..

And away from Phuket... last place I want to be without having an inoculation.

• Like 1

"On Mar 1, the man went to a hospital to be tested for COVID-19 again, as part of his requirements for re-entering the United States, the report noted.

"On Mar 2, the test result was deemed inconclusive and the hospital staff called him to be tested again. This time the test was deemed to be negative, and the man returned to his place of accommodation in Silom, the report explained.

The next day, Mar 3, the man boarded a flight back to the US.

However, on Mar 4, officers from the Department of Medical Sciences reviewed the results of the man’s second test and have now recorded the test result as positive, PR Bangkok reported."

He finished his mandatory quarantine, 14 days, on Jan 26, and was tested negative at that time. Then Bangkok, then Phuket ... As Always, mystery.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AdamRich said:

supposed to have a negative test to board a flight to the usa

And he did supposedly, it was only upon a recheck of that test that they determined it was positive and not negative, so bad on Thailand for spreading a virus back through its own country by airplane, then the hotel in Silom, and then well, you see where this goes...

The bigger question is why did they recheck the test to begin with, did he get sicker with covid upon his return to the US....very strange story, but it still leaves Thailand on the hook in my book.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So he arrived in Thailand around 12 January.
Was in Quarantine until the 26th.

Tested negative on the 26th and was allowed to leave quarantine.
He stayed in the Silom area of Bangkok until 16 Feb.

On 17 Feb he flew to Phuket. 2 days later he returned to Bangkok.

Stayed in Bangkok from 20 Feb onwards.
On 1 March did a covid test. It was inconclusive.
He did another test on 2 March. It was deemed negative.
On 3 March he flew to the US.
On 4 March they determined he actually was infected.

But they make it sound like he must have been infected in Phuket because he'd been there 2 weeks before. 

(Face palm.) It can take up to 2 weeks to show symptoms. That doesn't mean you won't test positive for the virus until 2 weeks after being infected.
He could have very easily caught it while he was in Bangkok.
The report they quote notes that they never said he was (or likely was) infected in Phuket either.

"From Jan 26 to Feb 16, the man stayed in the Silom area of Bangkok and sometimes went shopping at a nearby convenience store."

Yeah. Sure. Just stayed in his room except for the occasional trip to the nearest 7-11. :whistling:

MRT, BTS, Taxis, Patpong, Sukhumvit, diners, where did this man go.  I live in Sathorn near Silom, and not one thing has been said about this until today.  So much for track and trace and Thailands perfect covid image of it being under control.

Can foreigners visit Thailand as tourists now...!? (Assuming they comply with all the rules, get insurance and quarantine etc...)

I thought they are only allowed to enter if have family connection, Thai wife or children, or for business/work or as student...., not just say I want to go on holiday or not even have retirement visa and live there...!

• Haha 1

Of course you can come on a holiday, but you need the Covid Insurance 100K USD, a COE from the embassy in your country, a paid ASQ quarantine hotel, either a visa such as a STV or one of the others currently allowed.  wait in que, then have a pre fight Covid test not more than 72 hours prior to flying once given the COE, and your Visa in your passport after having booked one of the flights they say you need to be on.  2 weeks of quarantine plus two more covid tests during that time, and then your free to holiday until its time to return.  Just a little bit of coin, but hey if you really want to visit you can, just hoops to jump through right now.  They even have Area Quarantine in a few locations, one of which is in Sri Panwa in Phuket.  I hope they are testing those folks now since this guy was in that location.  But it sounds like he was in Bangkok most of the time.  Maybe a business man, but then who knows as the story is lacking

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Of course you can come on a holiday, but you need the Covid Insurance 100K USD, a COE from the embassy in your country, a paid ASQ quarantine hotel, either a visa such as a STV or one of the others currently allowed.  wait in que, then have a pre fight Covid test not more than 72 hours prior to flying once given the COE, and your Visa in your passport after having booked one of the flights they say you need to be on.  2 weeks of quarantine plus two more covid tests during that time, and then your free to holiday until its time to return.  Just a little bit of coin, but hey if you really want to visit you can, just hoops to jump through right now.  They even have Area Quarantine in a few locations, one of which is in Sri Panwa in Phuket.  I hope they are testing those folks now since this guy was in that location.  But it sounds like he was in Bangkok most of the time.  Maybe a business man, but then who knows as the story is lacking

Ok, so if someone wants to, can come without the criteria I mentioned...

It's that many people who live here on permanent basis on retirement visa who went out for a visit home, say now there is no way for them to come back to here, where they live....!? So they can if they go through all those hoops..., they just don't want the hassle...., I wasn't clear about that...