New cars having bits missing

Oxx

It's been a few years since I last bought a new car.  Earlier this week I went to a Toyota dealer and was surprised to learn that all (I was told) of their new cards don't have a spare tyre or a cigar lighter socket.  There's not even a well in the boot to fit a spare tyre if one buys one.  So, (a) what is one supposed to do if one gets a puncture in a remote location without mobile 'phone service, and (b) how is one supposed to pump air into one's tyres?

(For (b) I know one could take the car to a petrol station, but I believe the pressure gauges there to be unreliable.)

And are these bits missing from all brands sold here? Or is it just Toyota?

33 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

which model was that? our Toyota has both

I noticed it on both the Toyota Cross and C-HR.  The salesman told me that no new Toyotas have either spare tyre or cigar lighter.

It is getting harder to find cars with spare tyres.  Maybe not a problem for city cars but if the car is to be used for long trips, a full size spare is best, followed by a space saver spare.  Run Flats, compressors and repair goo are poor alternatives, especially if the car is fitted with unusual tyre size with poor availability up country.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

I noticed it on both the Toyota Cross and C-HR.  The salesman told me that no new Toyotas have either spare tyre or cigar lighter.

Why would you want a cigar lighter if you had a flat ? To try and burn the rubber ! What the salesman said was correct, no cigar lighter. However if you had asked the correct question then perhaps you would have been told,  like a previous poster stated, that they have sn auxilary power socket into which you plug your compressor and yes all Toyotas have those. Perhaps when you referred to a cigar lighter than in this day and age the salesman thought you were a bit potty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Why would you want a cigar lighter if you had a flat ? To try and burn the rubber ! What the salesman said was correct, no cigar lighter. However if you had asked the correct question then perhaps you would have been told,  like a previous poster stated, that they have sn auxilary power socket into which you plug your compressor and yes all Toyotas have those. Perhaps when you referred to a cigar lighter than in this day and age the salesman thought you were a bit potty.

As an expert, could you please confirm that the "auxiliary power socket" is the same format as a cigar lighter socket?

I bought a new compressor just a few weeks ago, from Toyota (Toyota's own brand).  The plug fits into a cigar lighter socket.

In other words, have they simply transferred the cigar lighter socket from between the front seats to somewhere else?

• Like 1

A mate has a "German performance car", clever pressure monitoring system but no spare.

Had a slow leak which turned out to be sidewall damage, non-repairable. "Just put on a new tyre, the others are getting low anyway so I'll have 4 please."

Problem. The tyres are obviously "performance" and, although the brand is imported, that particular size isn't.

OK, the local dearership will have a source. Wrong!

In the end a set were brought from Malaysia where that size is available (there was a suggestion he drive down to KL to get the tyres fitted there - less paperwork). 

I'll stick with my Isuzu, common size and it has a spare (ok it's steel not alloy, but it's full size and has air).

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Oxx said:

As an expert, could you please confirm that the "auxiliary power socket" is the same format as a cigar lighter socket?

I bought a new compressor just a few weeks ago, from Toyota (Toyota's own brand).  The plug fits into a cigar lighter socket.

In other words, have they simply transferred the cigar lighter socket from between the front seats to somewhere else?

Yes, the outlet is the same as the cigar lighter so your compressor will be fine.

Our Mu-X has:-

• Front - 12V outlet plus 1 x USB (links to the entertainment system, I use it to charge my Bluetooth headset).
  • Rear - 220V AC, only 120W but fine for a lappie, 2 x USB charge outlets.
  • Boot (third row seats) - 12V outlet. 

Should be enough to keep everyone happy and charged.

EDIT Our old Ranger has a cigar lighter AND a 12V outlet in the front plus another 12V outlet for the rear seats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

A mate has a "German performance car"

Yet another reason to not buy a German car, along with high maintenance costs and short lifespan.

Performance - 555 - What performance does a car have with no tires !

• Haha 2

latest Pajero has no spare, but our new Fortuner has an actual spare tyre. Has 12v front and rear as well as a 220v and some usb's. I'd much rather a real spare. 

Unfortunately, though, there's a habit of people stealing the spare on the fortuners...raming a metal bar thru the plastic bumper and off comes the spare. Had to buy a locking device to keep ours intact.

On the same theme, many new cars don't have an engine  temperature gauge now. Just a light that will come on, by which time it is probably too late already. Mind you many people ignore the guage anyway.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

On the same theme, many new cars don't have an engine  temperature gauge now. Just a light that will come on, by which time it is probably too late already. Mind you many people ignore the guage anyway.

That’s why called idiot lights 

• Haha 1

The compressor and can of foam are hit and miss ( plenty of YouTube videos on the subject).

If you get sidewall damage or damage the rim ( from a pothole or hitting the kerb ) the compressor and foam will be no good whatsoever and you will be stranded !!

A full size wheel and tyre can be bought or a skinny/donut is usually available for emergencies.

Of course, if you don’t have a tyre well ( that’s a new one on me ) then you will have to think about where to put the damn thing !!

• Like 1

my new MG ZS has no spare, just a compressor and foam cannister, no jack. 

You can buy a skinny spare wheel and jack from MG. Extra cost.

I Bought a 5th mag and tyre, then purchased a electric jack kit with wheel brace and sockets, job done.

With the spare wheel you loose the deep well in the boot.

Yes it's right, new car has no spare wheel, but only a repair kit, BUT caution here, if you choose to use the repair foam, you will have to change the tire completely, it can not be used again, if the puncture only is a small leakage e.g. from a stone or a nail/screw the pressure pump is very much ok, and you can reach an repair shop, remember NO FOAM INSIDE tire.

re. current outlet, all cars has an 12v outlet up to 12Amps

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 8:59 AM, Tim16 said:

Just bought a new MG car- no spare wheel, comes with "inflation kit" canister to seal and inflate tyre also 12 volt electronic pump

Not much help if one hits a Pothole and get a hole in the side wall. Must have a Spare , only if it is one of them skinny looking things that one can find in some cars and  are only good for 80KPH

Like most people, I would prefer a full size spare. I would probably go for a new car with such even if it was a little more expensive (say 50,000 Baht, everything else being equal).

As a motorcyclist, I seldom carry a repair kit, but don't have anxiety about getting a flat tyre. I guess I would get use to a car like that too.

The few times I have been stranded with a motorbike I've usually ridden to a bike shop to get the tire fixed. Once I remember (back in Australia) travelling about 100 km at 30 km/hr to get to a repair shop. Usually the tyre is stuffed and has to be replaced.