whats your biggest fear/worry  of retiring in thailand

bedbugy

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Being in unbearable pain (physical or mentally) at the end, with no possibility to humanely end it.

Mmmmmm...that has crossed my mind a few times......it seems ridiculous, in this day and age, that anyone (in the affluent countries) should suffer at the end.

• Like 2

The Thai Immigration version of the Sword of Damocles forever suspended above your head by a fraying horse-hair and Big Joke now issued a pair of scissor and a new position within the hierarchy.  They keep moving the goal posts. 
If I was just retired?  I would no longer be living here.  Seriously.

But being married and supporting a Thai family who have no desire to expatriate.  That puts me in an uncomfortable position or having to remain.  Unless you're a foreign woman married to a Thai man - then Thailand is your Forever Home.  No worries.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I've seen too many older farang in desperate straits to take the matter facetiously.In fact I had to help one from my muubaan repatriate to UK a few months ago when medical costs threatened to bury him.

There will be some who whistle in the dark about Isaan doctors dealing with their heart problems for a few hundred Baht, but that convinces nobody.

Thailand is a great place for solvent foreigners (actually much more than mere solvency is needed) but life is getting worse and worse for those that are not.

At the same time (and this is a completely different subject) I accept that the UK may not have much culturally to offer to those whose main interests are beer, bars and football.

You've lost me, I like beer, I don't do bars and I best not say what I think about football, I'm a Rugby man.

2 hours ago, connda said:

The Thai Immigration version of the Sword of Damocles forever suspended above your head by a fraying horse-hair and Big Joke now issued a pair of scissor and a new position within the hierarchy.  They keep moving the goal posts. 
If I was just retired?  I would no longer be living here.  Seriously.

But being married and supporting a Thai family who have no desire to expatriate.  That puts me in an uncomfortable position or having to remain.  Unless you're a foreign woman married to a Thai man - then Thailand is your Forever Home.  No worries.

I think my Thai wife was scared at first moving to the USA.

The fear coming from the unknown.

Now that she is a US citizen and has got use to it, she will never move back to Thailand nor our son.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I think my Thai wife was scared at first moving to the USA.

The fear coming from the unknown.

Now that she is a US citizen and has got use to it, she will never move back to Thailand nor our son.

Been married for 48 years and know of a fair number of others in the same category........wives US citizens.....moved back to Thailand to retire.   Many don't, some do.   Never say never

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Being in unbearable pain (physical or mentally) at the end, with no possibility to humanely end it.

Always options,

Most Physicians can formulate a pain management plan to alleviate needless suffering, even in LOS.

Denmark has some of the more enlightened and progressive policies for end of life options, as well as Oregon and Washington in the US.

I think you'll find you'll will be able to be quite comfortably numb when the time comes and in pleasant surroundings,
albiet as much as your monitory situation will permit.

Try not to dwell on it, will can only control so much,.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Thailand is a fantastic place if it were not for the government, constant coups and the nationalism. We are all hoping the new generation will change that eventually. 

Thailand has had 11 coups since 1932 and have always had a strong national identity. Governments are generally everywhere.

A little research before going to retire somewhere is a good idea and would have alerted you to the problems you have encountered.

Thailand has dropped 8 or 9 places in the best places to retire.

I fear medical bills, new rules, new fines, exchange rate, and

the Thai government with certain elements of anti-farang sentiment.

My Thai wife and son want to get out of Thailand...that says it all !

16 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

That would be a disrupting requirement for Thailand to impose.

Wonder how the administration at the time would deal with the issue of family separations?

There's no guarantee all Home Countries will allow for the  immigration of a spouse and family.

On your last point hardly surprising with thai girls track record for having on their toes to seek the bigger better deal once they,ve got permission to stay.

17 hours ago, bedbugy said:

it has to be immigration every year extension on a o visa is never the same
this year 20th time being 70 year old is no different 
bank need 2 letters 
1 statement for 1 year from head office  7 days to take 200 baht
2 letter to say i have the money  100 baht 
make an appointment 
plus extra forms to fill in 
what next time 
blood test to see im not a drugie
full insureance cover 
an app on a phone for covit jab 

Where do you come from?

How easy is it in your home country for people to retire?

If you and we like it or not, we are guest in Thailand and it's up to Thailand to make the rules. Nobody of us ever received a document confirming that over decades nothing will ever change.

If you think you should be treated like a Thai then apply for Thai citizenship. And before you complain about the conditions of that look again to your home country.

Care diem

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bedbugy said:

it has to be immigration every year extension on a o visa is never the same
this year 20th time being 70 year old is no different 
bank need 2 letters 
1 statement for 1 year from head office  7 days to take 200 baht
2 letter to say i have the money  100 baht 
make an appointment 
plus extra forms to fill in 
what next time 
blood test to see im not a drugie
full insureance cover 
an app on a phone for covit jab 

You forgot...proof that you are bedbug free

In my opinion, as long as you have the money, Thailand can be the most comfortable place to live. As thailand continues to develop with plenty of room to grow, everything will naturally continue to get more and more expensive.

• Like 2