Thailand Car Sales Plunge 21.3% in January

webfact

thailand-total-vehicle-sales.png

Dealers are pinning their hopes on big discounts on offer, to stimulate consumer sales when the 42nd Bangkok International Motor Show opens next week.

Car sales in Thailand tumbled by 21.3 percent from a year earlier to 55,208 units in January of 2021, snapping two months of gains, due to a second wave of coronavirus infections late last year. 

The virus outbreak emerged in the middle of December last year, when car sales increased for a second month, up 11.3 percent year-on-year. 

For 2021, car sales are forecast to drop 5.3 percent to 750,000 units, after last year’s 21.4 percent plunge, due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. 

However, many dealers urgently need to offload their 2020 inventory, before making space on the forecourts for the 2021 models.

New Forum for Car Sales Launched

Thaivisa.com the number 1 website on Thailand for Foreigners with over 6 million monthly views, is also launching a new Cars for Sale forum where private sellers can post their second hand cars for free. 

Dealers across the country keen to attract Expat buyers are also booking space too.

Meanwhile, exports of cars surged 13.53 percent from a year earlier to 74,132 units in January. The Federation of Thai Industries is forecasting car exports of 750,000 units this year, after last year’s 30.19 percent slump to 735,842 units. 

Car production is expected at 1.5 million vehicles this year, half of which would be exported, and the other half sold domestically. That compares to the 1.43 million exported last year.

"We are still worried about second or third coronavirus waves in some countries while Thailand has a second wave," Surapong Paisitpattanapong, spokesman of the FTI's automotive industry division, told a recent news briefing.

Chip Shortage May Effect Deliveries 

"There is also a chips shortage, making some carmakers stop production temporarily. Car exports may not grow this year," Surapong said.

Car exports plunged 30.19% last year.

Thailand's coronavirus cases have tripled in the past five weeks to 12,653, with 71 deaths recorded since a year ago.

Meanwhile the government approved a $7 billion in new stimulus to mitigate the outbreak impact on the economy. The motor industry is keeping fingers crossed that the funds would help boost consumer confidence.

The Bangkok Motor Show is open from March 24th – April 4th, 2021 https://bangkok-motorshow.com/main.php

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-19

• Haha 1

"Car sales in Thailand tumbled by 21.3%"

We are part of the non buyers now.....the vehicle we were thinking of getting....is now $AUD75,000!....A rise of ~$20K over 4 years. Thanks to the Thai government for their stupid excise levels!

Our current car will be fine and who really cares about resale any longer?

• Like 1

Car prices in Thailand have been crazily expensive for many years and it's about time the Manufacturers and Dealers recieved a painfull kick in the nuts for all the price gouging that's gone on.   Maybe the 'New Normal' will lead to less greed !

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Car prices in Thailand have been crazily expensive for many years and it's about time the Manufacturers and Dealers recieved a painfull kick in the nuts for all the price gouging that's gone on.   Maybe the 'New Normal' will lead to less greed !

Excise and other taxes put up the cost of vehicles in Thailand...it has nothing to do with the manufacturers and/or dealers. If you think cars are expensive in Thailand, check out prices in Singapore and Australia. 

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

"Car sales in Thailand tumbled by 21.3%"

We are part of the non buyers now.....the vehicle we were thinking of getting....is now $AUD75,000!....A rise of ~$20K over 4 years. Thanks to the Thai government for their stupid excise levels!

Our current car will be fine and who really cares about resale any longer?

Like you, I am also in the wait-and-see camp.

Meanwhile I enjoy watching Wheeler Dealers and fixing my old Bimmer while watching one2car from time to time.

Keep going to the motor shows, and I am sure they would sell more cars if they took all the useless tarts out of the equation.  They sure get upset when asked to move, or asked about details of the cars.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Car sales in Thailand tumbled by 21.3 percent from a year earlier to 55,208 units in January of 2021, snapping two months of gains, due to a second wave of coronavirus infections late last year.

Domestic Car sales are also down 10.9% for the Month of February.

Thats a Monthly drop of 16.1 % per Month this Year.

Not good news, and something has to go pop very soon .

9 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Buying a car in Thailand is expensive and continues to become increasingly more expensive.

Many people I know are hanging on to what they have, they said to chop it in for nothing and finance a new one is too much.

15 hours ago, Crusader said:

Keep going to the motor shows, and I am sure they would sell more cars if they took all the useless tarts out of the equation.  They sure get upset when asked to move, or asked about details of the cars.

True. The Dealer principals believe it’s sex that sells cars. But they do know about Finance. They get a bigger commission from finance than from the car sale

On 3/19/2021 at 5:12 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

If you think cars are expensive in Thailand, check out prices in Singapore and Australia. 

Hmm, I just checked out the prices and cars are about 25% cheaper in Australia!

eg a basic Corolla costs about 30K in Oz compared to about 40K in Thailand..... 

Just saying!

Edited by LosLobo

3 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Hmm, I just checked out the prices and cars are about 25% cheaper in Australia!

eg a basic Corolla costs about 30K in Oz compared to about 40K in Thailand..... 

Just saying!

Toyo sells Corollas in ????????...that's news to me.

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I don't know why you think cars are expensive in Australia compared to Thailand.

Cars are a lot cheaper in Oz and usually come with longer warranties and more extra's.

Your cheapest Camry in Thailand is about 1 500000 Baht or around $60 000.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, petedk said:

I was only thinking yesterday just how many new cars there are nowadays. (Red registration plates).

Mind you, it does seem to ne the rich people: Rolls Royce, Porche, BMW and lots of Toyota Aplhards

I walked past the local Mercedes Benz dealer on Friday. They had 7 Benz's out front all on red plates decorated with the fancy ribbons. Saturday they were gone.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 1:15 PM, trainman34014 said:

But should  our ire be directed at the manufactures and dealers or at the government when it comes to the price?

I tend to reserve unhappiness  at dealer  sales people for the lack of product knowledge and  lack of interest in selling a car.

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I walked past the local Mercedes Benz dealer on Friday. They had 7 Benz's out front all on red plates decorated with the fancy ribbons. Saturday they were gone.

I am always amazed at the number or Benzs (and BMWs) on Thailand's roads. They must cost around 8 times the average Thai's annual salary. It's like people in the West paying $300,000 for a car.

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I am always amazed at the number or Benzs (and BMWs) on Thailand's roads. They must cost around 8 times the average Thai's annual salary. It's like people in the West paying $300,000 for a car.

You just can't put a price on the 'Show' value. It trumps all.

A country and population obsessed with show. I blame Thaksin. ????

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Nor sure what a Benz costs, but as I said I saw Rolls Royce on red plates. I looked up the price - 50 - 60 million.  (and these people had 2 of them)

On 3/21/2021 at 6:52 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

I suggest next time you see a TaxiMeter, look at the back of the vehicle, no, not the pointy bit that's the front and you will highly likely see a Corolla badge.

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I suggest next time you see a TaxiMeter, look at the back of the vehicle, no, not the pointy bit that's the front and you will highly likely see a Corolla badge.

Have my own car so very rarely take taxis...but the last time I looked it was a Toyo "Altis."

On 3/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, Henryford said:

The average Thai isn't buying them though. Factor in the low income tax rates (if indeed they even pay the corext tax), then cars here become more afordable. My tax rate in OQ could be about 40%. Its 7% in Thailand. Then cost of living is lower. My first car in Thailand cost more than my (wife's) townhouse at the time.