Finally some good news! Brits getting 43 Baht to the Pound, USD doing OK too

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Long may it continue ????????????????

Only advantage to those bringing cash in, those of us already with cash in Thailand are worse off weaker Bhatt has resulted in higher fuel costs which affects all prices due to delivery cost on all products, increasing fuel prices has resulted in B200 extra to fill car ????????

1 hour ago, Farang99 said:

1998, following the Asian Bank crisis. But only 5 years ago it was at 56 to the £ and it went rapidly down hill from there. 43 is better than a slap with a wet fish, but not a lot. When you combine the exchange  rate with Thai inflation it is not a pretty picture.

A new exchange rate now of approx 43 Baht to the Pound, is really nothing to shout about.

As Fafang99 pointed out, the rate only 5 Years ago was indeed 56 Baht / Pound, which was  before the Brexit Upset, and at 43 / Pound is still some 20 % or so below that rate.

And the Inflation rate here in Thailand is somewhere close to 5 % PA in real terms, as opposed to the Governments 1.3 % figure, that we all know is tosh.

I can see the Pound gaining more strength as 2021 progresses, but will still end up at about 45 / Baht by year end

Still poor.

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with anything above 20 baht to the AUD. My 800K baht on deposit was brought across when the rate was 28.5 to one AUD.

Now, if the rate will just stay at 23.8 or higher, I can bring across enough in the next couple of months for a year's expenses. I'm optimistic, the AUD is predicted to rise further against the USD.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daffy D said:

I remember when the rate was over 70 to the UKP.

Cheap living and the whole country was a lot more fun than it has now become.

Was truly "Amazing Thailand"

And I remember when the rate was 30 to the GBP. But it was even better here then.

36 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

A new exchange rate now of approx 43 Baht to the Pound, is really nothing to shout about.

As Fafang99 pointed out, the rate only 5 Years ago was indeed 56 Baht / Pound, which was  before the Brexit Upset, and at 43 / Pound is still some 20 % or so below that rate.

And the Inflation rate here in Thailand is somewhere close to 5 % PA in real terms, as opposed to the Governments 1.3 % figure, that we all know is tosh.

I can see the Pound gaining more strength as 2021 progresses, but will still end up at about 45 / Baht by year end

Still poor.

Better than 30.

It’s back down to 42 ,426 was only 43 for 6 hours I’m convinced that they manipulate the Thai baht and very soon it will come back to haunt them this rate is currently what you get with Wise which up until a week ago was known as TransferWise they have changed the name as it is rumoured that they are about to float on the stock market . I use them all the time I have yet to find another company that offers better rates and less charges . Last week I sent £2,000 to my SCB account it was there in less than 8 minutes and the cost was £10.98 transaction fee.

Edited by crazykopite

15 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Could it be due to Thailand exhausting it's foreign reserves. Read a report that they've borrowed short term loans to offset the pandemic last year and will have to borrow the same this year. Those short term loans are now draining the coffers just to repay. In the same report some 3 billion dollar plus has exited Thailand in the first two months of this year. Long been speculated that Thailand's foreign reserves had artificially propped up the bath, maybe now showing as they've had to dip into those foreign currencies the last year.

Thailand nowhere near exhausting its substantial foreign reserves. Sure some intervention dollars are likely to be mobilised if/when pressure on baht were to intensify. Authorities will be very happy to see the recent (modest) weakening of the previously overvalued baht.

3 hours ago, actonion said:

It didnt last long did it, i transfered money from UK to Thailand  on 18th March  with   Siam Commercial bank  and got  40.51 B  when it was reading  43.06 on the internet

You should be using Wise which until a week ago was Transfer Wise best exchange rates and fees . I sent 2k from the U.K. last week got 42.724 for the £ and the fee was less than £12 was sitting in my SCB account in less than 10 minutes had I used my NatWest I would have had to pay at least £25 in transfer charges would of got a lousy rate and would of taken 3 days to arrive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1