Finally some good news! Brits getting 43 Baht to the Pound, USD doing OK too

4 hours ago, actonion said:

It didnt last long did it, i transfered money from UK to Thailand  on 18th March  with   Siam Commercial bank  and got  40.51 B  when it was reading  43.06 on the internet

More fool you, I have been using Transfer Wise for years, the money does not leave the UK, the Thai baht is paid into your Thai account from a Thai Transfer Wise account, usually within 2 minutes, NO international transfer costs just a very small handling fee and extremely good exchange rates. Easy ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

White was better IMHO, looks dark and dingy now.

It's actually light grey, but the photo doesn't show that. White plasterboard ceilings with recessed lights are SOOOO 70s ????

White Room Remodel 11.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, actonion said:

It didnt last long did it, i transfered money from UK to Thailand  on 18th March  with   Siam Commercial bank  and got  40.51 B  when it was reading  43.06 on the internet

I did a transfer through Wise on Friday afternoon and the forex rate was 42.9524.

I have been using Wise (nee TransferWise) since late 2019 and they have always given me a far better forex rate than KBank. My money is in my BBK branch within 24 hours except at weekends and public holidays when it the first banking day after.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

As the Tesco advert proclaims " Every little helps " ????

I'm reasonably aware that it may take some time to get anywhere near 2016s 50 + to the £.

But who knows what could happen to the banks, property, the currency here ? I'm just grateful for a slow and modest rise in the value of all currencies - except the Baht of course ????

If the unelected "PM" and his soldiers never stole the country in 2016, the Thai Baht would probably still be at 50+ to the "G"BP, or probably even more.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Just drew baht out of a K bank ATM and they only gave me 39 to the pound plus 220 baht fee! That's 540 in total or a 10pc fee! Won't be doing that again!

... over years of comparison - decades actually - I found Kasikorn to be pretty reliable to give you the worst rates outta the whole pack.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I did a transfer through Wise on Friday afternoon and the forex rate was 42.9524.

I have been using Wise (nee TransferWise) since late 2019 and they have always given me a far better forex rate than KBank. My money is in my BBK branch within 24 hours except at weekends and public holidays when it the first banking day after.

Unwise to do that on a Friday pm. Ever heard of profit taking ? Always a currency sell off late in the week after steady gains. If you can do transfers Thursday or early pm Friday do so if there has been significant gains during the week, as was the case with GBP. I transfered Thursday pm and got 43.04

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Clydesdale said:

Thailand nowhere near exhausting its substantial foreign reserves. Sure some intervention dollars are likely to be mobilised if/when pressure on baht were to intensify. Authorities will be very happy to see the recent (modest) weakening of the previously overvalued baht.

Thailand does have a debt problem and needs hot money to keep flowing into the country to pay this off. The way to do this is to keep the Baht high. The government won't intervene to lower the Baht, but may intervene to keep it up there. If the Baht keeps drifting down there is a risk of funds exiting Thailand en masse and the Baht plummeting. This would make the current debt problem, which is manageable with a little luck, catastrophic.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, KhunBENQ said:

A long way to go.
If one has the moderate hope to get back to the 10 year high, the following gains from current  value would be necessary (rounded):

USD 18%
EUR 23%
GBP 31%
AUD 39%

(with graphs from xe.com)

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=10Y
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=THB&view=10Y
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=10Y
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=THB&view=10Y

I like the US chart you posted.  In March 2011 it was thirty and change.  March 2021 it is 30 and change.  As long as it stays over 30 I'm happy.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Excel said:

Unwise to do that on a Friday pm. Ever heard of profit taking ? Always a currency sell off late in the week after steady gains. If you can do transfers Thursday or early pm Friday do so if there has been significant gains during the week, as was the case with GBP. I transfered Thursday pm and got 43.04

My pension comes on the 4th Friday which is the day I transfer it. Looking at this mornings Wise forex rate it is 42.6888, which is lower than yester afternoons rate when I did my transfer.

I track the KBank forex on Monday to Friday, the Wise forex Monday to Saturday and XE on Saturday and Sunday.

My pensions go into my Wise account in the UK and I transfer to BBK bank the same day that they arrive.

I don't transfer such large amounts that a few satang more or less forex in the long term.

1 baht higher or lower does make a difference but 10 or 20 satang is hardly noticeable over a monthly period.

The difference between you on Thursday and me on Friday was 9 satang per 1 GBP and equaled 27 baht. 

On 3/19/2021 at 6:01 AM, Daffy D said:

I remember when the rate was over 70 to the UKP.

Cheap living and the whole country was a lot more fun than it has now become.

Was truly "Amazing Thailand"

I’m sure it was even cheaper 20 years before that. What’s your point? Live in the now, not the then. It’s called reality. We could reminisce all day about the “good ole days”. It’s been beat to death.

12 hours ago, actonion said:

Maybe you used the least best company

On 3/19/2021 at 5:01 PM, Daffy D said:

I remember when the rate was over 70 to the UKP.

Cheap living and the whole country was a lot more fun than it has now become.

Was truly "Amazing Thailand"

Wow . You must be as old as me .  Congrats ..

Whats, your secret , lady younger more , @ least 30years ..555

Thailand then was truly Amazing Thailand .

Short time . 500 bht ..

3 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

I’m sure it was even cheaper 20 years before that. What’s your point? Live in the now, not the then. It’s called reality. We could reminisce all day about the “good ole days”. It’s been beat to death.

Wow must be great to constantly live in the here and now with no regard for any memories or feelings of nostalgia.

Or maybe just a little sad. ????

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, KhunBENQ said:

A long way to go.
If one has the moderate hope to get back to the 10 year high, the following gains from current  value would be necessary (rounded):

USD 18%
EUR 23%
GBP 31%
AUD 39%

(with graphs from xe.com)

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=10Y
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=THB&view=10Y
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=10Y
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=THB&view=10Y

and the Americans that live local are the biggest complainers about the amount they have lost from their highest value it's about 20% above current rates.

The UK has lost in the order of 66% in 15 years, we used to have a rate of 70 THB / GBP.

7 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

The government won't intervene to lower the Baht, but may intervene to keep it up there. If the Baht keeps drifting down there is a risk of funds exiting Thailand en masse and the Baht plummeting.

I don't think I would hire you as a financial adviser.

When do you think there is the most risk of funds exiting Thailand, when you have to pay 43 Baht for a pound, or when you have to pay 60 Baht for a pound?

Answers on a postcard

19 hours ago, fulhamster said:

You would have got it at Transferwise

Just checked Wise total rip off it would cost me AUD 304.8 ! in fees to transfer 50,000 AUD. If I used Telephone banking with my bank the fee would be AUD 18. I don't understand why everybody raves about Wise. My UK bank max fee 20 GBP. 65.24 pounds to send 8000 pounds via wise. think i'll stick to using my banks thank you very much.

Edited by brianthainess
add info.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Gra777 said:

The rate for changing pounds to baht yesterday was 42.01 at SCB bank so where can i get the 43?

This is about exchanging Cash at super rich and the like, it is NOT what you'll get transferring money, a misleading article IMO.