EU blames AstraZeneca as vaccine battle with UK deepens

webfact

8 hours ago, david555 said:

But by not being a young person i would follow the  medical advise and go for Pfizer ....but seems we have to be sattisfied with the one who would be availble .

☹️

Which medical advice would you follow to reach that conclusion? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Which medical advice would you follow to reach that conclusion? 

The one i would trust most at the moment of jab availability ..... which is not yet ..... but i would  trust Sputnik for sure  .... ???? 

Edited by david555

22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Where is that advice?

As regards choosing which vaccine,  clearly it will depend on supply but I travelled 30 miles further to try and get the AZ vaccine.  Talking to local people, it seemed that those who'd gone to the local centre had Pfizer whilst friends in York had been given AZ. I chose York and indeed, was given AZ. I wouldn't have been upset if I'd been given Pfizer though - both seem pretty effective.

first of all , i just follow my country advise .... and i live Thailand so no vaccination on short term ....

secondly i do not denies that A.Z. works  ...., after second shot the maximum protection as the company said from beginning

as a matter of facts whole vaccine bunch has  still to be proven their  efficacy , as we  can consider us all to become  vaccinated  persons as  Guiney pigs  one way or another  ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong. Companies, private or otherwise have to get an export licence for certain goods which is subject to state approval. Any country can restrict the approval of export licences should a situation arise such as the shortage of an essential product.

The UK is a 'free country' - no such restrictions currently exist.  Have you checked out which goods require an export licence?  Export licences are mainly required for military items and associated technology.  As far as I know they are not applicable to vaccines.

At the moment it would require a change in the law to restrict vaccine exports - that is not impossible but Boris Johnson has already said he doesn't want to see any controls/restrictions on vaccines.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

At the moment it would require a change in the law to restrict vaccine exports - that is not impossible but Boris Johnson has already said he doesn't want to see any controls/restrictions on vaccines.

Johnson wants to see this contract respected because it allowed him to receive 21 million vaccines from the EU giving zero in return and he wants things to stay that way. 

If you look at the Withdrawal Agreement treaty we signed, when Johnson does not like "this or that" , the signature of the UK suddenly becomes void. 

What we need to set up there is a balanced, reciprocal relationship. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The UK is a 'free country'

and If you want we can have a thought experiment 

If the situation was reversed, do you believe Frost and Johnson would deliver 21 million vaccine to the EU first? Or would they keep the UK's vaccine production for themselves? 

Can you look me in the eyes ???? and tell me that Boris Johnson would deliver 21 million vaccine to the EU in this situation ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

Johnson wants to see this contract respected because it allowed him to receive 21 million vaccines from the EU giving zero in return and he wants things to stay that way. 

If you look at the Withdrawal Agreement treaty we signed, when Johnson does not like "this or that" , the signature of the UK suddenly becomes void. 

What we need to set up there is a balanced, reciprocal relationship. 

No we need to honour the contracts already made. In contract law, the contract AZ made with the UK trumps the contract that the EU made with AZ.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

No we need to honour the contracts already made. In contract law, the contract AZ made with the UK trumps the contract that the EU made with AZ.

again I assume that as a Brexiteer you have monitored the situation these last months and you have basic knowledge of the Brexiteers motivations and Brexiteer doctrine.

Just put yourself in our shoes : lf the situation was reversed, and a private contract between AZ and the EU said the UK plants must send all their vaccines to the EU

...do you believe Frost and Johnson would be OK to deliver 21 million vaccines to the EU before Britain was served?

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, polpott said:

I wasn't a brexiteer, I was a remainer.

Oh sorry I forgot 

8 minutes ago, polpott said:

As I said a contract is a contract, I would be peed if the situation was reversed. However, I wouldn't be peed at the EU or AZ I'd be peed at my country for making a lousy contract and leaving it to the last minute.

Sure a contract is a contract, and your word is you bond... 

But I 'm not asking about you: we know Johnson and Frost, we have seen them in action these last months. 

You claim that right now if there was a private contract between the European Union and AstraZeneca, they would make sure that the UK send its own vaccine production to the EU (and get zero in exchange?). 

21 million doses

Seriously? 

On 3/26/2021 at 8:13 AM, Hi from France said:

Do you think dropping provocative, un-sourced one liners is a proper way to debate?

Could it be useful to make an effort there?  Read you posts over, improve them before clicking "publish": this shall improve this forum 

I think the forum would improve if posters did not resort to regurgitating propaganda from their preferred rag, or even worse publications and quotes from pseudo-exspurts.

One liners keep the forum nice and snappy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Oh sorry I forgot 

Sure a contract is a contract, and your word is you bond... 

But I 'm not asking about you: we know Johnson and Frost, we have seen them in action these last months. 

You claim that right now if there was a private contract between the European Union and AstraZeneca, they would make sure that the UK send its own vaccine production to the EU (and get zero in exchange?). 

21 million doses

Seriously? 

Personally I'd feel very uncomfortable if the EU had signed a more watertight deal than the UK, and then the UK government blocked exports that were meant to fulfil the EU contract. That would feel almost like inciting war. 

I'm glad you asked that question though. It's made it even clearer to me just how disgraceful those threats were from the EU. 

Thankfully Germany and other countries knew how unacceptable those threats were. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Since when did vaccines become part of the withdrawal agreement?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Its a purely hypothetical question.

this is how EU leaders think, and this is largely how it works with the UK: if it goes the way Boris wants, it's fine "better contract let's respect it", you sent vaccines from the EU plants to us.

If it was the opposite, the UK would keep the vaccines produced in Britain. Even when Boris signs a treaty he does not respect it, how do you expect him to have the UK sending 21 millions vaccines to the EU in the midst of a pandemic ?

seriously

What most in the the EU think is that contracts and treaties do not matter to Boris Johnson. There is a double standard by which we'd loose anyway.

now event if it's "purely hypothetical" it just tells us that we are the fall guy in this farce

Love it. the EU reliant on the UK. How the mighty have fallen!

Reliant I'm not so sure of this, actually. But that was discussed with these Lipids issue. I think the supply chain situation is complex, overlapping because of the (former) single market including the UK.

but yes you just love it obviously, and that's one more problem  - some would say Russia is a more reliable partner than the UK there.

Edited by Hi from France

3 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Bof, the old tales of the old on distant times.

On the same note, it should be unbearable to have dominated the world and to find yourself a second-class divided country with a nationalist leader reduced to petty contractual shenanigans to try to exist.

Spain, Holland, France, Portugal, Germany and Japan are all in the same boat, or would have been if we Brits hadn't sunk all their boats.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Bof, the old tales of the old on distant times.

On the same note, it should be unbearable to have dominated the world and to find yourself a second-class divided country with a nationalist leader reduced to petty contractual shenanigans to try to exist.

keep in mind this is the extremist fringe of the Brits, but also that they are bound to stay in power in the years to come.

so this situation which is exacerbated by the vaccine dispute, is likely continue to spiral down in the future. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hi from France said:

I'm going to suggest whatever contract would have been signed between the EU and AstraZeneca, Johnson would not let the UK vaccine production go to the EU first.

You must have a different mindset in France then. Our government wouldn't stop a private company fulfilling it's contractual obligations to the bloc. State control isn't so popular here. 

• Like 2