Do you just drink water when you are thirsty, or...

giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

The question is whether you drink (or try to) the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, or do you just drink when thirsty? Not if you drink beer or anything else.

I only drink water these days since quitting coffee and easily manage the required 8 glasses a day.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

A small beer bottle is 33ml. 10 x 33ml is only 3.3 litres. Over a 16 hour day, that's not much.

Ooops, no no no . It should be 330 ml or 33 cl per bottle. Sorreeee!

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I can understand it if you are sweating a lot or exercising, but if you aren't do you really need 8 glasses a day?

In my case yes, i do need to drink at least 8 glasses a day, i even drink at least 1-2 litres during the night, otherwise problems occur with my catheter.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

Maybe a related question to drinking water: Do you drink bottled water or (filtered) tap water?

I only drink bottled water and I like the taste of some brands more than others.

Sometimes when I visit people I get filtered tap water. I have to admit I don't think I ever liked the taste of that filtered water anywhere. If I would have only filtered tap water I am sure I would drink less.

Just now, giddyup said:

Has to be a reason you wake up parched after a big night on the amber fluid.

Cos you've probably p**sed al the water out before, or even whilst you were in bed.   LOL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:
4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are you saying that the 5% alcohol in a bottle of beer will negate the 95 % water?

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Has to be a reason you wake up parched after a big night on the amber fluid.

There is and this is the reason:

''Yes, alcohol can dehydrate you. Alcohol is a diuretic. It causes your body to remove fluids from your blood through your renal system, which includes the kidneys, ureters, and bladder, at a much quicker rate than other liquids. If you don't drink enough water with alcohol, you can become dehydrated quickly''.

• Like 1

Just now, RickBradford said:

True. But beer is a diuretic (makes you pee more), an effect which continues for hours after you stop drinking beer, leaving you more dehydrated than before.

So what's the answer........don't stop drinking beer!     LOL

You say that it is the BEER which is a diureatic. I will do a scientific study with Heineken Zero and Singha. Results when I recover from the Heineken !

Just now, KannikaP said:

You say that it is the BEER which is a diureatic. I will do a scientific study with Heineken Zero and Singha. Results when I recover from the Heineken !

You've probably run this experiment before. 

Ever woken up with a tongue that feels like a piece of old carpet which has gotten stuck to the roof of your mouth? That's dehydration, quite possibly caused by the diuretic effect of alcohol (or caffeine, incidentally).

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe a related question to drinking water: Do you drink bottled water or (filtered) tap water?

I only drink bottled water and I like the taste of some brands more than others.

Sometimes when I visit people I get filtered tap water. I have to admit I don't think I ever liked the taste of that filtered water anywhere. If I would have only filtered tap water I am sure I would drink less.

I filter my tap water, then put it in a bottle!   LOL

Funny that on aircraft they give you a small plastic cup of water which says 'PURE BOTTLED WATER' and then goes on to tell you what minerals etc are in it. Pure?

2 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

You've probably run this experiment before. 

No, never touched that Zero stuff before, but for the advancement of scientific knowledge, I shall force myself.

Edited by KannikaP

21 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

He did not help himself with his response to some posts which comes across as rather rude and blunt. 

You mean this is being rude after I'd already posted the question twice?

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What was the question, do you drink water only when you are thirsty?

I'll repeat it, since you don't seem to have read the question.

The question is whether you drink (or try to) the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, or do you just drink when thirsty? Not if you drink beer or anything else.

Water, the elixir of life.  I do drink my eight glasses a day plus, and find myself in the restroom probably 5 to 6 times evacuating the excess fluid.  No being a diabetic obviously is one reason for such activity, but then if I don't drink that much in this humid heat, and with the 6 to 10 km a day I put in 5 to 6 days a week, I would be like a dried up old prune, and possibly have heat stroke.  I always have a bottle sitting on my desk, as well as on the motorbike in a thermos to stay cool, as well as in a small icebox in the car.  I grew up in the high desert of California, and it does get hot in Palm Springs and the Mojave basin.

Edited by ThailandRyan

I went to a cafe the other day and they had free filtered water but it tasted like chlorine. Maybe a way to get you to buy drinks. 'Some thai hotels have the same thing. Not good. I don't generally need to buy water as Melbourne has one of the cleanest waters in the world. There's a little bit of fluoride but I don't want to get that debate started. I get sick of water in summer so I buy mineral water with some fizz for an exciting change of pace. Yes I have 8 a day even more on gym days. My girlfriend says it's 38 in Ubon so hard to imagine having less than 8 in Thailand if you go outside at all. 

• Like 1